JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Tropical Regions of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Tropical Regions of Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 26, 2024 8:50 am  
    Tropical Regions of Greyhawk

Is the Amedio jungle tropical? This is for a future project, of course.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 26, 2024 9:00 am  

I'm about to run adventures there right now (Hellspike Prison & Spire of Long Shadows), and I say yes it is. Scarlet Brotherhood accessory & Shackled City & Spire adventure all strongly suggest so.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 26, 2024 9:23 am  

Ah, thanks for getting back to me so soon. I'm trying to pin down the equator of Oerth in relation to that infamous map that was done of Oerik. The one below.

I have an ulterior reason why I asked. Happy No, it's a surprise, and I want everyone to be surprised. Based on the infamous map, the Equator runs through the Draconic Imperium of Lynn. Making Tharquish and Istar subtropical mostly.
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 27, 2024 9:53 am  

See p. 18 of the 1983 Glossography for lines of latitude.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 27, 2024 11:10 am  

I'm sure Anna Meyer somewhere on her maps website has a Oerth map with the equator on it. Finding stuff on there can sometimes be tricky, but this is a topic she's done a lot of work on.

Another possibility might be to check out Joseph Bloch/Greyhawk Grognard's map of the world from about 10-15 years ago. I don't remember if he marked an equator on his maps, however.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 27, 2024 2:23 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    See p. 18 of the 1983 Glossography for lines of latitude.

I got that, apparently, on .pdf. Thanks for the direction.
    CF Admin

Wed May 29, 2024 7:20 am  

I thought that our Cities of Oerth feature used to show the latitude of various cities, but it doesn't presently, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Even though you've now got the latitude lines from the Glossography, I highlight that Monmurg is about latitude 23˚ North, which puts it around the same latitude as Havana, Cuba (23° 07' 58.87" N), and has proven substantially helpful IMC when I model temperature, weather, clime, etc., especially after discussion on these forums helped me appreciate that winds of my Oerth do in fact follow those of Earth (i.e., that the tropical tradewinds are easterly—blowing from the east—and hence bringing all sorts of weather, including tropical storms and more, to the islands of the Hold (and the Hook of the Amedio Peninsula).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: