ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Retake and Unify the Great Kingdom
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Retake and Unify the Great Kingdom
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:50 am  
    Retake and Unify the Great Kingdom

Hello Folks,

I will first admit that I am out of the loop as it were, so please forgive my question, but are there any plans to retake the Great Kingdom and unify it? I mean we have Iuz and the Scarlet Brotherhood, but they are already decaying from internal politics. I think retaking the Great Kingdom and making it a place of goodness and light again would be a wonderful Adventure Path.

I Miss the Wild Coast
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:19 am  
    Re: Retake and Unify the Great Kingdom

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I think retaking the Great Kingdom and making it a place of goodness and light again would be a wonderful Adventure Path.

I agree with this idea. Another good Adventure Path, I think, would be a Migrations Era campaign as the Suel and Oeridians come over the mountains.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:00 am  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    Hello Folks,

I will first admit that I am out of the loop as it were, so please forgive my question, but are there any plans to retake the Great Kingdom and unify it? I mean we have Iuz and the Scarlet Brotherhood, but they are already decaying from internal politics. I think retaking the Great Kingdom and making it a place of goodness and light again would be a wonderful Adventure Path.

I'm sure both Xavener and Grenell (and others) have extensive plans to retake the Great Kingdom. But Darmen press releases aside, restoring goodness and light are not part of the deal, though.

Besides, if the GK went fluffy, who'd you rely on for smile-to-your-face/stab-you-in-the-back style evil?

Keep the GK (and GH) grey. Smile

On a more serious note - no goodly power is capable of achiving this realistically. Nyrond certainly can't/won't. The Iron League is fragmented has it's own problems (SB in Onnwal for starters) and doesn't have the manpower - Ahlissa can has more men of military age than Sunndi has people), the dissident groups in the Grandwood/Lone Heath/Adri aren't strong enough and everyone else in Aerdy is out for their own ambitions. Reforge the empire of old perhaps - but, peace and love are very unlikely in the short term. The best you can aim for is something in the region of LN (assuming the second Turmoil between the Crowns doesn't go the way of the first, with the North besting the South).

Looooong term, I suppose you could have a Cranden restoration (as foreseen by the Eldritch Lords of the Aerdi), but given the divisions in the house, there's no guarentee they'd be Good (though more chance than a Darmen or any of the other houses).

P.
    Kobold Pinata

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:32 pm  

Yes, I have long-term plans to restore the Great Kingdom. For your interest in the Great Kingdom and its resurrection, I shall raise you as a free-willed undead instead of a zombie.

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I think retaking the Great Kingdom and making it a place of goodness and light again would be a wonderful Adventure Path.

Goodness and light? Consider yourself back to zombiedom.

Funny you should say that, though, as I am preparing a Dungeon query to suggest a possible three part module that would centre on the GK. I could easily expand it to an Adventure Path, but they do them in-house unfortunately, and do not take queries for them as I understand it.
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm  

Delglath wrote:

Funny you should say that, though, as I am preparing a Dungeon query to suggest a possible three part module that would centre on the GK. I could easily expand it to an Adventure Path, but they do them in-house unfortunately, and do not take queries for them as I understand it.

You could try it as three seperate adventures. After all the latest Dungeon has 'Secret of the Silver Forge' which is a sequel to 'Death of Lashmire'.

S.H, Ahlissa (Naerie) webslave
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:19 pm  

go Drax!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:25 am  

abysslin wrote:
    go Drax!

I have invented a new version of the endless death, especially for him.
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:02 am  
    LOL

Howdy Folks,

Actually, what I meant was to say that can we do something to change the Great Kingdom? We certainly can't turn it around overnight, but I would have guessed that perhaps we could do something to slowly reclaim the Great Kingdom and put good people in positions of authority and power.

-Dwarf from Nyrond
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:08 am  
    Re: LOL

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    Howdy Folks,

Actually, what I meant was to say that can we do something to change the Great Kingdom? We certainly can't turn it around overnight, but I would have guessed that perhaps we could do something to slowly reclaim the Great Kingdom and put good people in positions of authority and power.

-Dwarf from Nyrond

I must confess to being cool toward the FtA and LGG development of the Great Kingdom and its successor states.

The Great Kingdom, even with restive/palatinate North and South Provinces was a cool evil empire. And it really was an empire in more than name only. Now? Its a howling wilderness of the undead in the middle, a buttoned down mercantile kingdom in the south, and a listless "evil" kingdom in the north. That hardly replaces the coolness that was once the Great Kingdom.

FtA did a good job "blowing up" the Great Kingdom. That it did not provide anything as cool as a replacement can be excused because the chaos was supposed to be as cool.

The LGG did a terrible job running with the ball. The LGG not only did not leave the chaos in place but failed to deliver anything cooler, being content with merchants, an evil king and a society forming around undead petty states. No new ideas.

Maybe a reverse reunification is in order? Nyrond gets its act together and invades and reunifies the Great Kingdom, creating the largest single kingdom since the days of yore. Don't say "Nyrond can't do that, its too weak." So was Weimar Germany after WWI and they came roaring back for WWII in 20 years.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:54 am  
    Re: LOL

DwarffromNyrond wrote:

TBH, there's enough good kingdoms, I think. With Iuz crumbling and the SB on the backfoot, there needs to be someone who can cut the cheese evil-styly. I'll confess I quite like the darker edge of FtA and its successors. So having some credible threat to the Flanaess is necessary to stop things becoming too fluffy and stagnant (in any case, Mordy wouldn't tolerate too much sweetness and light).

Now, if you're talking a long term redemption for the Great Kingdom, then that's a different story. Aerdy was built on a promise of greatness, which was squandered by the Rax and corrupted by the Naelax. There are those, however, who keep fast to the hope that eventually the Aerdi will rise to the greatness promised them (and may perhaps be working behind the scenes to make this come to pass - cults of the Hidden Empress anyone?). So yes, in the future, there may be a renaissance of virtue in Aerdy.

But not today or tomorrow. It's a long term generational struggle.

Now it's the Darmen's time. They'll rise and fall and perhaps after them there's a chance. In the meantime, they can work to heal the scars that the Ivids left (and perhaps create a few of their own). That's their part in the Great Saga of the Aerdi.

GVDammerung wrote:

Its a howling wilderness of the undead in the middle, a buttoned down mercantile kingdom in the south, and a listless "evil" kingdom in the north. That hardly replaces the coolness that was once the Great Kingdom.

Not quite true. The howeling wildernesses of undead are relatively confined - Rinloru, Chathold, Pontylver. The status of Rauxes is unknown, though there's suggestions of some sort of Fading Land/planar rift. Almor has been largely pacified by Nyrond and Ahlissa. The situation in Medegia is still fluid - with Rel Astra, Ahlissa and petty Medegian warlords trying to grab and hold as much ground as possible - the big prize being the holy city of Mentrey.
    North Kingdom isn't listless, so much as beset by troubles on all sides - orcs to the north of me, Ahlissans to the south, here I am, stuck in Rinloru. :)

In the South, merchantile does not equal good or even neutral (in the real world cf the Medicis and some the more notorious exploits of the Republic of Venice - eg the 4th Crusade;). A land where serfs are widely considered subhuman and anything can be (and is) be bought and sold, cannot be anything but evil. A more subtle evil than the fiend-seeing excesses of the Ivids, but all the more seductive and insidious for all that. Just because it doesn't march an army into Sunndi or Nyrond every summer, doesn't mean Ahlissa doesn't have imperial ambitions. Ahlissa has great ambitions, but its rulers know that armed force has failed consisttantly in the past and brought the empire to its knees. Clearly a new plan is needed and they have the wealth and patience to see it hrough.

GVDammerung wrote:

No new ideas.

Well, in fairness, the development was consistant and logical given the framework in Ivid the Undying. There's always alot of talk on the board about the need to avoid earthshattering events and consistant logical development. I think that's what's happened with Aerdy. Aerdy in 591+ is an empire in crisis. It's been driven to collapse and now various factions are cementing their claim not only to the land itself, but its future. YMMV, but I think that's plenty cool.

GVDammerung wrote:

Maybe a reverse reunification is in order? Nyrond gets its act together and invades and reunifies the Great Kingdom, creating the largest single kingdom since the days of yore. Don't say "Nyrond can't do that, its too weak." So was Weimar Germany after WWI and they came roaring back for WWII in 20 years.

And had their armies beld dry and crushed when they bit off more than they could chew and tried to absorb their giant neighbour to the east. :)

Nyrond, if memory serves, has 1-2 million inhabitants. Ahlissa alone has about 3 million and the NK about another 1 million (LGG figures, off the top of my head, so they might be out a bit). Ahlissa has vast wealth and resources - economic, military and magical (and doesn't have any moral scruples about using them, especially in its own defence). The NK has Hextorites and orcs galore - not to mention the untapped potential of the Causeway of Fiends (and don't think Grenell wouldn't use it if his back was against the wall).

Nyrond may have valourous men and virtuous priests, but I can't see it ever absorbing the rest of the old Great Kingdom (or even a significant portion of it). That's Prince Sewdernt's pipedream.

Which brings us to another point. Lynwerd is not the type to risk the utter ruin of his country on such a foolhardy adventure. Nyrond barely survived the Greyhawk Wars. It lost thousands of men - nearly an entire generation of menfolk - on the fields of Almor and the valleys of the Flinty Hills (if we're looking at real world comparions, look how the slaughter of the First World War weakened France in the decades afterwards). Its economy was shattered and even now can hardly have fully recovered. It'll be years before Nyrond is back to the strength it had before the War of the Golden League. Even then, it would be a foolhardy king that would lead his men to war across the Harp or the Flinties. Sewdernt might do it and he'd almost certainly perish in the attempt.

There's also the question of allies. In the GH Wars, Nyrond had the backing of the Iron League and the Urnsts. Now the Iron League is splintered. While Irongate and Sunndi can defend their own marches, they are ill-equipped to take the fight to Ahlissa. Ambushes in the Rieuwood, iron Hills and Hollow Highlands are one thing; facing down Ahlissan heavy cavalry and Aerdi warmages on open plains or before fortified Ahlissan cities is another. Meanwhile, the Urnsts are unlikely to support a Nyrondese war of conquest. Propping up the bulwark against the madness in the east is one thing, helping create a new Imperial Nyrond next-door is another.

So I don't beleive a reverse unification is likely. Being a fanasty world, you could contrive it, but I don't think it would be very satisfying or even interesting for the future of the setting. What would the The Great Kingdom of Nyrond do that the Great Kingdom of Ahlissa cannot, aside from be a huge swathe of, well, frankly uninteresting justice and weal. Remember Nyrond was cool in the Marklands because it was coming apart at the seams. Ditto Furyondy. Before then, they were both fairly dull parts of the world (lack of development notwithstanding). Making all of Aerdy like Nyrond pre-wars would be a waste of a lot of great story and adventure potential I think. The other path you could take is GK- Nyrond corrupted by power and going imperial, but you can do that with the Darmens now and still have Nyrond as a counterweight, without the need for an unlikely war of reverse unification.

In short, that's why I see the best way forward is to keep Aerdy evil, have another Turmoil between the Crowns, let the Darmens make Aerdy great again (think the Republic of Venice and the Hanse with the land, resources and ruthless ambition of a vast empire) and then see what mischief they can make as their wealth and reach grows. A new Imperial Keoland with ambitions to retake its empire is bad news for the Sheldomar (and Ket); An Imperial Ahlissa with similar designs would threaten every realm from the Fals gap to Ratik.

Sorry for rambling on so, but I have put a lot of thought in to the best way forward for Aerdy. :)

All IMO, of course. YMMV.

P.

PS - had a look at the relative populations in the LGG last night - and I was a little out.

Ahlissa has about 3.8 million
    NK - 2.8 million approx
    Nyrond - 2.6 million approx
    Solnor Compact - 380,000 approx

Even so - Ahlissa still has the edge in numbers.

Last edited by Woesinger on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:49 pm  

I had once proposed a revolution type theme that would re-unite the Aerdy lands. The book "Heros of Battle" might get very good way of creating such a adventure path for part of it. My suggestion would be that a decendant of a long thought extinct line comes out of hiding to over throw the two evil kings.

To succeed, he will have to convince the old Knights of the great Kingdom to return to his banner, Restore the See of Medigia back to it's true patron (which I believe was Pelor or Heronious or was it Rao?) and retrive a cache of holy objects hidden in the destroyed holy city, work out a peace with the old Iron League, and finally recover the lost city of Ruxxes.<sp>

I imagined it being simular in tast to a Dragonlance story but with more politics. At the end The great kingdom would be transformed in to the Grand Aerdy Republic. There would be a king, but most of the power would lie with the senitors and as a twist, to keep everything from falling apart, they would have to come to terms with the fact that the sentient undead were not only not going to go away, but more than likely, they were going to have to be treated as citizens.

Granted Greyhawk is grey. But i liked the idea of massive government trying to deal with the old masters hiding just under the shadows while keeping thier good ideals. In return I wanted to make a few more twists. I wanted Vecna to side with the old Heirarchs and take back the lands they lost to Iuz. I just love the idea of two really badguys being right next to each other and slugging it out over a border. (Maybe Kas can go and work for Iuz.) i want the Slavers to comeback and I want the Scarlet Brotherhood to really release some nasty stuff.

And I want to see something come out of an unexpected place. How about something out of Blackmoor. That place has been overlook to far.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:50 pm  

I had once proposed a revolution type theme that would re-unite the Aerdy lands. The book "Heros of Battle" might get very good way of creating such a adventure path for part of it. My suggestion would be that a decendant of a long thought extinct line comes out of hiding to over throw the two evil kings.

To succeed, he will have to convince the old Knights of the great Kingdom to return to his banner, Restore the See of Medigia back to it's true patron (which I believe was Pelor or Heronious or was it Rao?) and retrive a cache of holy objects hidden in the destroyed holy city, work out a peace with the old Iron League, and finally recover the lost city of Ruxxes.<sp>

I imagined it being simular in tast to a Dragonlance story but with more politics. At the end The great kingdom would be transformed in to the Grand Aerdy Republic. There would be a king, but most of the power would lie with the senitors and as a twist, to keep everything from falling apart, they would have to come to terms with the fact that the sentient undead were not only not going to go away, but more than likely, they were going to have to be treated as citizens.

Granted Greyhawk is grey. But i liked the idea of massive government trying to deal with the old masters hiding just under the shadows while keeping thier good ideals. In return I wanted to make a few more twists. I wanted Vecna to side with the old Heirarchs and take back the lands they lost to Iuz. I just love the idea of two really badguys being right next to each other and slugging it out over a border. (Maybe Kas can go and work for Iuz.) i want the Slavers to comeback and I want the Scarlet Brotherhood to really release some nasty stuff.

And I want to see something come out of an unexpected place. How about something out of Blackmoor. That place has been overlook to far.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:11 am  

Herald wrote:
    Restore the See of Medigia back to it's true patron (which I believe was Pelor or Heronious or was it Rao?).

Well, Nasran Cranden granted the See of Medegia to the Church of Pholtus originally, in the Year of Universal Peace (1 CY) or thereabouts.
    I think it was Toran II (?) that stripped them of the Censorate in 252 CY or so, after they complained about the rampant corruption of the Imperial Court. Toran II granted the See to the Church of Zilchus, which had quite a bit of influence in the court at that time.
    Once Ivid I had survived the heave against him between 447-450 CY, he granted the office of Holy Censor to the Church of Hextor, which held it until Spidesa's fall in 584 CY.

So in a way, the office of the Holy Censor has mirrored the decline of the Great Kingdom.

P
    Long live Spidesa!
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:32 am  

Personally I would like to explore for awhile the different shades of evil the GK now represents:
    NK militaristic
    Ahlissa merchantile
    Anarchistic

I would like to maintain the internal consistenacy of the gameworld to maintain the "suspension of disbelief" that ties a good game together for RPers. Given the devastation of the GHW realistically I can't see any way internally, given the social fabric of GK or a nation externally that can accomplish reunification without a major "roll of the eyes".

Not everything has to have a happy hollywood style ending...an intelligent evil nation has to be viable somewhere in GH.

We all know villians are the real engine of any good game.

Last edited by Crag on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:55 am  
    Don't get me wrong

Hello Everyone,

First let me complain that I am a poor writer when trying to properly communicate what I want to say. I am all for a grim and untrustworthy Great Kingdom, but I also think that having some decidedly good fiefs, baronies and holdings would go a long way in making the Great Kingdom a questionable (but workable) state and making Greyhawk...grey. I'm not hoping for a "bright and shining" Great Kingdom where all are tolerated and loved for their individual uniqueness and the land is populated by heroes. Laughing I just figure that somebody would have had a back of the bar room deal and said, "Look lads, having a city somewhere betwen the Prime Material Plane and the Nine Hells just isn't good for business. Perhaps we should eat this big dung sandwich one bite at a time. Most assuredly even the peasants would be happier working in the fields under a benevolent tyrant than a malevolent tryant."

I mean I realize I could be way too naive, but as stated earlier, with everyone on the backpeddle, perhaps striking out towards the great Kingdom wouldn't be so bad. I could certainly see how Nyrond would back the claim of nobility of adventurers should they "liberate" a border fief in Ahlissa or something. Good for trade, makes good PR and might even act as a buffer zone for Nyrond (but we won't discuss that). Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:40 am  

I'll take another attempt for a ItU - based campaign when I finished my current stuff... To do something great about the Old Aerdy, I think one would have to ignore what was published afterwards, will say LG etc... But based only in ItU, one can make a splendid, epic campaign there...

Smile

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:00 am  
    Re: Don't get me wrong

DwarffromNyrond wrote:

I also think that having some decidedly good fiefs, baronies and holdings would go a long way in making the Great Kingdom a questionable (but workable) state and making Greyhawk...grey.

Well - there's some room to work with this in the current ItU/LGG framework.

The Marchland of Chathold is run by a Paladin of Rao, Karn Serrand.

Carnifand has a decidedly jolly cousin of Otto running things.

In the NK - there's scope for getting those Pholtine Knights of Sun and Moon to be rulers of Luvern (?).

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I just figure that somebody would have had a back of the bar room deal and said, "Look lads, having a city somewhere betwen the Prime Material Plane and the Nine Hells just isn't good for business. Perhaps we should eat this big dung sandwich one bite at a time. Most assuredly even the peasants would be happier working in the fields under a benevolent tyrant than a malevolent tryant."

I think that's exactly the kind of sentiment the princes of Ahlissa had when they formed the UKA. Xavener is a benevolent tyrant (as long as you're wealthy and don't have an excess of political ambition).
    So is Drax for that matter.
    That Grenell fella on the other hand.... :)

DwarffromNyrond wrote:

I could certainly see how Nyrond would back the claim of nobility of adventurers should they "liberate" a border fief in Ahlissa or something. Good for trade, makes good PR and might even act as a buffer zone for Nyrond (but we won't discuss that). Wink

I think that'd be a great way to start a war. Smile
    The last time Nyrond did that, Almor and a century and a half of bloodshed culminating in the Day of Dust and the slaughter of the Blazebane and elsewhere (including Medegia) was the result. Ahlissa would not tolerate Nyrondese meddling in its internal affairs under any circumstances (ditto the NK I imagine). Taking the old Prelacy north of the Harp is one thing, formenting rebellion against the Nightingale Throne is quite another. I'm sure Lynwerd wouldn't appreciate Ahlissan agents provocateur stirring up anti-royalist sentiments in Midmeadow, Arndulanth, Oldred or Beetu. Well, Xavener feels the same (and is well within his divine right of kings to).

Obviously war would be very bad for Nyrondese trade (given the wealth and influence of the Royal Guild of Merchants of Aerdy and the increasing strength of the Ahlissan fleet in the Gearnat) and not great for PR (what overt threat does Ahlissa pose to Nyrond? Ahlissa offers a trade mission and Nyrond responds by formenting rebellion? Which side has moved on and which side is stuck in a confrontational pre-Wars blinkered mentality?).

As for a buffer zone - Nyrond doesn't need one as long as it doesn't provoke Ahlissa into military action (which Ahlissa doesn't want to engage in anyway right now until its rebuilt it's economy and dealth with more serious threats, like the NK). If/when Ahlissa does get designs on Nyrond - that's the time to start with buffer zones. But precipitating an unnecessary conflict with Ahlissa for the sake of making a buffer zone, the idea of which is to avoid Nyrond getting sucked into an unneccessary conflict with Ahlissa, seems self-defeating. Smile

Another factor to take into account is that some Nyrondese nobles might not be so keen on the idea of a buffer state around the Harp. It didn't work last time - Almor was more trouble that it was worth. Also - there's all that new territory (and tax revenue) that would revert to Almorian control if a buffer state was set up. What's the point in the Nyrondese exchequer forking out lots of gold it doesn't have to rebuild Almor and fortify the line of the Harp only to hand it back to Almorian control? The Almorians couldn't defend it last time, why should it be any different next time? Better to have someone trustworthy and competant in charge (ie the people that actually did and paid for all the reclaimation).

From that point of view - Almorian nationalists might be as irksome to the Nyrondese as they are to the Ahlissans.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:49 pm  
    Far more subtle

Hi Woesinger,

The plan would be far more subtle. Adventurers pick a holding and liberate it, but then pay lipservice to Ahlissa. Heck, let Ahlissa put a gerrison there if it wants, but Nyrond would send a lot of trade specifically through that area. Kickbacks would be eventually given to the
    adventurers from Nyrond. Now Nyrond has a trade zone and a listening post. The nobility of Ahlissa would come to respect (and possibly begrudge) the adventurers, but because the adventurers pay lip service
    to Ahlissa and the ruling powers-that-be, they would be protected. Why hurt an economic artery when it is both calming the waters and laying the foundation for peace. No one is suggesting an open war, only nurturing trade Wink

I Miss the Wild Coast,
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:20 am  
    Re: Far more subtle

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    The plan would be far more subtle. Adventurers pick a holding and liberate it, but then pay lipservice to Ahlissa.

Yeah - it's the liberating thing that might cause the problem though.
    Smile
    Liberate from who? An Ahlissan noble? Wouldn't that attract a little bit of attention (for a fix see below)?

Also - the adventuers would be playing a very dangerous game dealing with Nyrond. The Ahlissans ward their borders well. Having untrustworthy former freeswords holding a fief (and an important one at that if there's trade running through it) is not something they'd turn a blind eye to. If the adventurers were even suspected of having dealings with Nyrond, they'd have their heads on pikes sooner than they could spit.

Now that's not to say it wouldn't be a good basis for an espionage and intrigue-based campaign - but it would be an intensely dangerous undertaking for the characters involved.

First, they'd have to pick a noble that was out of favour with the Court of the Nightingale Throne or at least with the local ruling Prince(ss) (probably Karasin of Innspa if we're talking the Harp frontier) and offer to remove them in a suitably subtle manner. This would not attact hostile attention (except from other members of the deposed noble's house, who'd be out for revenge) and would ingratiate the adventurers with the local overlord. However, taking out an inconvenient noble is no guarentee that the PCs would get the fief as a reward. They'd have had to have proved their trustworthiness to Karasin over a long period of service prior to that (and probably done some questionable things to establish their cover). Even then, Karasin would appoint someone to keep an eye on them (several someones probably, some overt, most covert), who they'd have to evade or circumvent in their dealings across the river.

The problem then is avoiding the attentions of the Ahlissan authorities in their dealings with Nyrond. A trading post would mean the presence of the Royal Guild of Merchants (who are remarkably effective at gathering information and rumours about threats to Ahlissa) and a garrison. The PCs would have to walk a very fine line to avoid raising the slightest suspicion. The more prominent they become, the more interest people will take in them. The Ahlissan court and army will want to be certain they have loyal people on their borders.

Trade is one thing, but security is another. Ahlissans might be merchantile, but they're not fools - they won't excuse a breach in secuity to make a few nighingales. Besides, the trade will still flow even when the PCs heads are on pikes. It's not like Nyrond could afford to break diplomatic and commerical ties with Ahlissa over the deaths of a few spies. Doing so would be an admission that the Nyrondese crown had sanctioned the infiltration of an Ahlissan frontier fief. So like Mission Impossible, the PCs' handlers in Rel Mord (perhaps in the Sagacious Society?) would disavow all knowledge of them, should they be compromised.

Being a spy is a dangerous and lonely business. Being a spy in Ahlissa is positively lethal - but it could be a lot of fun to play through. Happy

So in summary:

1: Infiltrate Innspa; attract the attentions of Princess Karasin or someone in her court. Do useful tasks for her to gain her confidence and trust (or as much trust as an Ahlissan noble puts in anyone). Deal with rivals and the intrigues of Karasin's courtiers. This might be a good place to introduce one of Karasin's courtiers who takes an instant dislike to the PCs and dogs them for the rest of the campaign, trying to prove they are spies.

2: Eliminate one of Karasin's vassals who is (a) in a suitable border location and (b) has beome troublesome to the princess*. The princess will have to have the confidence in the PCs to grant one of their number the fief. Alterantlively they could be appointed aides to Karasins's chosen appointee, who the PCs either have to circumvent or eliminate before they can start contact agents on the Nyrondese side.

*: for added shades of grey, the PCs might have to manufacture a case against a pretty inoffensive noble who inconveniently is lord of the fief the PCs need to take control of. The incumbant lord is a loyal (but not especially nice) Ahlissan who wouldn't dream of spying for Nyrond, won't hire on the PCs, but isn't a thorn in Karasin's side - until the PCs drip poison in her ear about him, of course.

3: The PCs need to set up and maintain their lines of communication to Nyrond without attracting the suspicion of (a) Karasin's spies; (b) the Ahlissan garrison commander; (c) the local Writers of the Royal Guild of Merchants. They also need to avoid the retribution of the original ruler's family, who would be only delighted to see the PCs hung drawn and quartered. Oh and managing the day to day running of the fief, with the usual conflicts, disasters and emergancies.

That there's the outline of an interesting campaign. Wink

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: