Canonfire :: View topic - Cursed items
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Cursed items
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:08 pm  
    Cursed items

Hi all!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here it goes:

How do you carry cursed items without suffering their hindrances?

I know that for example it won't hurt you to carry a ring of clumsiness in your pouch, but how do you carry a stone of weight?

Saludos,
    Gabriel

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 am  
    It depends...

Short answer: you don't. As soon as someone "takes possession" of certain items, their curse takes effect. Whoever picks up the Stone of Weight (regardless of how they do it), gets the curse.

I'm sure wizards (and possibly merchants) have some way of dealing with such items, whether through spell or device, but I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps someone could research it?

Telas

From the d20 SRD:

Stone of Weight (Loadstone)

This stone appears to be a dark, smoothly polished stone. It reduces the possessor’s base land speed to one-half of normal. Once picked up, the stone cannot be disposed of by any nonmagical means—if it is thrown away or smashed, it reappears somewhere on his person. If a remove curse spell is cast upon a loadstone, the item may be discarded normally and no longer haunts the individual.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, slow; Price 1,000 gp.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:09 am  

Thanks Telas for the answer!

About how do mages deal with those items I guess they can use unseen servants to carry them around. Also mage hand could do the trick if the item weights less than 5 pounds. As for merchants or dealers, they can hire mages to do the task above described. For now I can't imagine what other method it can be used.

Saludos,
    Gabriel

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:31 am  

IMC, Mage Hand or Unseen Servant would do it, as long as you didn't have it put the item in your pouch, backpack, whatever. Moving it from the shelf to the cart would be OK, although the US may have half movement...

I would imagine that some wizard could come up with something like a temporary "null magic towel" that one could use to suppress an item for a few seconds while moving it.

This is definitely one of those situations that calls for DM elbow room.

(Rant Mode: ON)

The modern versions of D&D, where almost everything is categorized and defined and cut and dried, tends to keep new DMs from making judgement calls on the fly. This is a terrible thing, IMHO. When the players know what everything is and how everything works, they tend to game the system instead of play the role. Leaving gray areas, whether in the rules or in the campaign setting, leaves the DM more room to move, and adds a lot of mystery to the game.

If you decide that Mage Hand or Unseen Servant will work, don't just tell the players. Give them a Spellcraft or Knowledge (arcana) roll to see if they know. If they fail, let them sweat it out for a few seconds.

I tend to frustrate the hell out of "professional gamers" in my campaign. Not because there's no logic (there is plenty of logic), but because very few things are as they are defined in the books. I make a number of my own critters, classes, feats, abilities, and magic items, instead of picking from the menus provided. Anyone coming to the game with certain assumptions (magic cloaks can do X, Y, or Z, but not W; unintelligent undead don't have class levels; Rot Grubs aren't in the Monster Manual; etc) will be surprised.

I strongly recommend this approach to newer gamers, who didn't *HAVE TO* innovate and interpret on the fly in earlier versions of the game.

(Rant Mode: Off)

Telas
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:12 am  

Any container could be enchanted with an anti-magic field to temporarliy nullify a cursed item placed within it for safe transport or sale.

Imagine an evil wizard who gifts a king with a scarab of death contained in a small jewelry box magicked in the above way. Throw in a non-detection effect so that nothing radiates magic, incluidng the box, and you have a nice little holding device to pull off such an act.

You could have a large trunk magicked this way to transport dangerous or cursed magic items.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: