Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Anyone watch D&D: Wrath of the Dragon God on SciFi
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Anyone watch D&D: Wrath of the Dragon God on SciFi
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:35 am  
    Anyone watch D&D: Wrath of the Dragon God on SciFi

I watched this the other night and was surprised at the couple of Greyhawk references they had in the movie. They had a breif mension of the Barrier Peaks and the god Obad Hai (who is the main god of the land). Did anyone else see the movie and any other references that I missed?

Also, they had some magical weapons/rings/spells that were lifted from the game and put into the movie. I loved the Ring of the Ram the Sorceress found in goblin shamans hunt.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:06 am  

I thought it was fairly good. There was also a reference to the Ghost Tower of Inverness, which was nice. I don't put too much stock in the Obad-hai connection, though, as he's a core deity now and can appear in any setting. Mad
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:00 am  

Ya, I was mildly surprised as well...There were also references to the Shrine of the Kua-Toa (sp?), drow, Jubilex and Yeenoghu (sp?)...Not bad at all...
    Kwint
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:22 am  

Ya, I to was fairly surprised that this movie was actually good. If only the first movie was only half as good as this one.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 pm  

A bit on the lame side, but what can you expect? Name dropping various D&D locales, spells, items, and demonic personages was about all that there was in the movie.

You expect a village full of goblines but the I guess the budget ran low and they had to skip them and put in something to replace them.

But as to compairing this movie to the first one, it is hardly as lame and not nearly as poorly written or as poorly thought out. With only a meager budget compared to the theatrical release, this second movie by comparison does a good job of things.

Its a "B" movie. If it were in theatres, I wouldn't recommend spending that amount of money on it, but as a rental I'd reccomend it.
    As it is, its free(kind of) if you have satelite or cable, so enjoy the quality you get for "free".

There are some decent things in the movie, but don't expect too much of it.

On the five star scale I give it a 3, average to mediocre.

For those old folks around here who might remember it, "Hawk the Slayer" was better. Wink

Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:46 am  

HAWK THE SLAYER!

Wow that was like a nostalgic lightning bolt hitting me!

As for the D&D2 movie, I caught a bit of it around the time they were assembling the party. I thought it was cheesy that they went with Obad Hai, but maybe I am missing a plot point, doubtful but maybe Wink

I'll eventually catch it in its entirety.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:32 pm  

You know Hawk the Slayer is available on DVD? I recently introduced my new gamers to that classic, and despite its obvious flaws, they got it.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:33 pm  

Oh, and we all got together to watch the D&D2 movie over beer and pizza. Its better than the theatrical D&D movie, and drops a lot of names, but its not a great movie. Worth seeing if you're a die-hard D&D fan.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:26 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Its a "B" movie. If it were in theatres, I wouldn't recommend spending that amount of money on it, but as a rental I'd reccomend it.

Hey, it was on the Sci-Fi channel, Home to first run B movies...To expect anything else is to invite disappointment...With that in mind, D&D2, like I said, was mildly entertaining...The references to modules-as-past-adventures is about the only way they'd make it into the movie...And the teleporting partially into the wall was pretty good...Way better than Hawk the Slayer, which I thought was pretty much crap, even at fiteen when it first aired...To each their own I 'spose...
    Kwint
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:58 am  

Yeah I always thought Hawk the Slayer was a bit pants, although I haven't seen it in years. My all time favourite fantasy film (apart from LotR, which is in a league of its own) was Conan the Barbarian. It was generally badly acted but I've yet to see a fantasy film that had so much energy and style! And it was pretty light on special effects, unless you include exploding blood-bags... Oh yeah, and I loved the portrayal of the faerie in Legend - totally Chaotic Good like I've never seen before! And the Green Hag was quite cool too.

The first D&D film was totally a children's film. It glossed over any political issues that might have made it of interest to grown up fans (the Queen didn't even have any ministers or advisors - I mean who was running the economy?), dragons became mindless cannon-fodder, they stuck in powerful monsters like beholders for a laugh, and the villains (apart from the head of the thieves' guild) were just plain awful (and so was the elf!)

We haven't seen the new film in the UK yet, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for it. I always thought that the genre had potential as an ongoing series like Xena, with a couple of core characters like the two thieves from the first film (but preferably less annoying) and recurring guest stars (like the wizard's apprentice) as and when they needed help, with an overall plot arc (as in Buffy) for each series like visiting various dungeons with a view to tracking down an artifact etc. That way the guest characters can get killed or not depending on the whims of the writers.

The downside is that budgets are a problem for humanoid make-up and CGI monsters but, as in Conan and other shows like Buffy, you don't need a lot of CGI to make a show interesting.

Ah well, here's hoping! And if Greyhawk gets a look in, even better!

p.s. A series that made it to a film - Serenity rocks! Go see it!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: