Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spiral of Decay? Web of Istus?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Spiral of Decay? Web of Istus?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 pm  
    Spiral of Decay? Web of Istus?

In the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, the favored weapons of Tharizdun is listed as the "spiral of decay", and for Istus it's the "web of Istus". Both indicate "no equivolent weapon".

Would someone be willing to ask Gary Holian if he has any info on these for me? The latest LG Deity pdf's have replaced these with dagger & net, respectively, but if Gary (or one of the other authors) had something else specifically in mind, I'd love to hear about them.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:22 am  

I always assumed that these were for descriptive effect. The damage inflicted by spiritual weapons is standard damage but the way the DM describes it adds a lot of flavour.

Mind you, in 1e, clerics of Istus could produce various spell effects such as Strands of Binding etc. A generous DM could always convert these spell effects to 3e for variable Spiritual Weapons for anybody crazy enough to play a cleric of Istus.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:39 am  

In the beginning of the "Greyhawk's Gods" chapter, the overview for the "Weapons" entry talks about proficiency, blunt vs slashing, druidic weapons, etc.

These might still be spell effects, but I'm under the impression that we're talking about more than just the shape of the spiritual weapons. But maybe you're onto something regarding the strands of binding (I'd forgotten all about those)...maybe these are favored in place of regular melee weapons.

Then again, I could be way off base.

Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 am  

basiliv wrote:
    In the beginning of the "Greyhawk's Gods" chapter, the overview for the "Weapons" entry talks about proficiency, blunt vs slashing, druidic weapons, etc.

These might still be spell effects, but I'm under the impression that we're talking about more than just the shape of the spiritual weapons. But maybe you're onto something regarding the strands of binding (I'd forgotten all about those)...maybe these are favored in place of regular melee weapons.

Then again, I could be way off base.

Or perhaps clerics of Tharizdun could have similiar power to those of Entropomancer prestige class when they summon the disk of entropy (or what ever it was called) which is basicly a miniature black hole.

S.H, the guy from Naerie
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:43 am  

Hmmm - I guess it would only matter if you're dealing with damage resistance (unless you also use the criticial hit tables from 2e combat rules). It's a can of worms but I suppose I'd let my players get away with it.

I still use the critical hit tables for critical criticals i.e. 2 threats in a row as opposed a threat and a normal hit. However, now my pcs are 10-13th level I might just start using them for regular crits to spice things up.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:04 am  

I appreciate the input, and if nothing else is forthcoming I'll likely use your suggestions.

But I'd really like to know what was originally envisioned when these weapons with "no equivolent" were written into the LGG. Gary? Erik?

Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:33 pm  

See Post:
    Quote:
    Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:55 am
    Post subject: Web of Istus
    abysslin
    CF Admin

Living Greyhawk Gazateer pg. 173 paragraph2. Last sentence of Istus description.

"Weapons web of Istus (no equivelant weapon)"

Any insight as to what the Web of Istus is?

StarbreakerAccordong to GreyHawk Adventures Pg.13
    Istus always carries the Spindle of Fate which she alone may use.
    This device/weapon may cast various types of Strands and Webs with their own spell like abilites.
    Strand of binding
    Strand of cancellation
    Strand of Death
    Strand of hostility
    Strand of passage
    Strand of sending
    Web of enmeshment
    Web of entrophy
    Web of stars

Weapons allowed by clerics of Istus- Club,flail,hammer,mace,staff,lasso.

The relationship beteewn the Lady of Fates and He of eternal darkness is indeed layered for many reasons.
    Twin Fates?
    Star-crossed lovers?
    Sealer of his fate?

What effect Has Her Knowlege of His fate have on him?
    What gates would her knowledge unlock?
    What also is intresting is the shared Spiritual sphere of influence between Istus's Spindle and Big T.'s Downward Sprial of decay

Binding
    cancellation
    Death
    Hostility
    entrophy

Could Big T be the power of the fates which were not chosen.
    Things that should of been or could of beens?

The owner of the so called Frozen fates, Lost or forbbiden destinies,
    The never Knowings, and locked away crazy forgotten or unfullfilled dreams.
    Always seeking a way back into the world in order to destroy itself.

Perhaps the Sprial of Decay is a place instead a typical weapon type.
    Could the broken symbol within the lands of the Brotherhood be the seal from which he now seeps?

Maybe the Lament for Lost Tharizdun holds further clues on the type of weapons he uses.

[/quote]
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: