JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Earl Querchard
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Earl Querchard
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:22 pm  
    Earl Querchard

What canon or semi-canon sources exist with background information on Earl/Margrave Querchard of Sterich?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:25 pm  

The Zavodex seems to indicate:

Querchard (Earl)[NPC]
    FTAA - 38
    GDQ - 10,121
    GW:ADV - 20
    LGG - 107,108
    WOGA - 36
    WOGG - 17

Kwint
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:48 pm  

He figures in the Istivin adventure that ran in Issues 117, 118, and 119 of Dungeon (I think I got the issues right, anyway).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:49 am  

I know you asked for canon sources, yet this may give you added ideas...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Margrave+Querchard+of+Sterich&btnG=Google+Search

I found more than I had expected to be honest, so I couldn't post all the direct links.

Cheers
    Master Greytalker

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:16 pm  

Thanks for the replies, folks. It doesn't appear that there is a whole lot of canon on poor Querchard (though I don't have the Dungeon® issues, so I don't know what's included therein). I have two follow-up questions, if I may:
    1. Does anyone know how old the guy is? I found one reference that put him at age 38 in 576 CY, having ruled Sterich for about eighteen years prior. That seems a tad young for me, considering that he's supposed to be an AD&D® fighter 7 / thief 8 / bard 9. Is anyone aware of any other references to the contrary?
    2. Is there any canon or semi-canon source citing who Querchard's predecessor was as the Earl of Sterich?

As always, thanks for sharing your accumulated Oerthly wisdom. Smile
    CF Admin

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:41 pm  

DM Prata, check out the GDQ mega-adventure too. It features an introductory chapter that discusses the black bubble o'er Istivin, mentions the Viscount of the Javan, etc.

The recent Dungeon campaign arc made Querchard a Bard-Fighter-Sorcerer but didn't mention his predecessor (or his heir). IMC, I've determined that his Olman (princess) wife bore him at least one child (unmentioned anywhere in canon, afaik). I've also changed the map accompanying the campaign arc because it didn't make sense to me, especially it being miles away from the river.

If you'd like to discuss more about the old Marquis, Istivin, or Sterich generally, I'll be happy to join it.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:35 am  

I'm not sure that Resbin Dren is an Olman. I think she is one of the races that live beyond the Dry Steppes. I can only remember the Jacindi, whose description she seems to fit.

I was very disappointed in the Dungeon Magazine's depiction of Resbin. She is described as middle-aged and black and is illustrated as twenty-something, caucasian, and blonde!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:46 am  

Here's my situation: My campaign is set in c. 570 CY. One of the PCs is the bastard son of the Earl of Sterich (my spur-of-the-moment idea based on a high roll for his social class), and the player has (understandably) requested more information about his family. Now, if the reference I found to Querchard's age is accurate, then this 25-year-old PC cannot possibly be his son, but would have to be his father's son (and, thus, Querchard's half-brother). Now, before I go having any more spur-of-the-moment ideas Embarassed , I just want to verify that I'm not contradicting anything in canon that I'm going to have to go back and fix a few months from now. If no mention is made of Querchard's predecessor — and there doesn't seem to be much about Sterich's history at all in canon — then I can feel free to invent him.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:16 am  

Hmm - I think the thing to suggest Querchard doesn't have an heir is the fact that Resbin is in charge while he is alive but unfit, and then is still in charge after his death?

What are the rules of succession in Sterich? Surely the title doesn't ordinarily pass to a spouse? What about his siblings or cousins? I don't think that there is any canon on this stuff to date.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:31 pm  

Hey, I just came across this article by CSL in which he describes Querchard as a half-elf. I always thought he was human. Am I that out of touch? Embarassed
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:40 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Hey, I just came across this article by CSL in which he describes Querchard as a half-elf. I always thought he was human. Am I that out of touch? Embarassed

Don't feel bad about it. I can't remember for the life of me where I found that reference to Querchard being a half-elf. It does bear out on his statistics; in the 1983 boxed set, he is described as a 7th-level thief/8th-level fighter/9th level bard. By 1E rules, no human could multi-class, and only half-elves (IIRC) could have that class combination. Don't worry about thinking he was human-I bet lots of DMs and even canon writers have made that mistake.

As for my take on Querchard, that's just it-my take. My profiles on the various rulers of Greyhawk are meant to make them more than just two-dimensional collections of statistics. Most of the stuff I write is stuff I made up, although I will incoroporate any canon that fits with my vision. Don't feel obligated to use what I wrote. If you do, that's awesome, but in the end your vision for Greyhawk should reign supreme in your campaign, not what canon or fanwork automatically says.
    <div align="left">Going to war without Keoland is like going to war without a pipe organ.&nbsp; They both make a lot of noise and they're both a lot of dead weight, so what's the point in taking them along?&nbsp;</div>
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:58 pm  

Just because Earl Quechard is/was a 7th-level thief/8th-level fighter/9th level bard does not mean he's a half-elf, nor does it disclude it...Bards could be human or half-elf and had to attain levels in thief and fighter prior to becoming a bard in 1st ed. ...It was a special case of sorts for humans to be "multiclassed" or half-elves dual (triple) classed, although those terms are not used when describing the path of the 1st ed. bard...
    Kwint
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:03 pm  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    .. in the 1983 boxed set, he is described as a 7th-level thief/8th-level fighter/9th level bard. By 1E rules, no human could multi-class

In 1st Edition AD&D a human could dual class and then having in at least 5 levels of fighter first, but no more than 8 levels in that class and between 5 and 8 levels in thief at which time they could take levels in the Bard class after druidical training. Dual classing is different from multi-classing in that only humans could do it, so it fits the rule sets requirements at the time of the WoG 83 boxed set. It offers an interesting view that Querchard received druidical tutelage if you use the option to include bards in 1st Edition AD&D. Was he trained in the Old Faith bardic traditions or a mix of Keolish and Sterichian beleifs? Or perhaps he wasnt the heir apparent, first in line for the throne and was forced into his role as the Earl of Strerich due to mishap in his elder kin. Again such things are free for the DM to explore for his own GH campaign, flavor to taste and serve.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:48 pm  

Dethand wrote:
    ...perhaps he wasnt the heir apparent, first in line for the throne and was forced into his role as the Earl of Strerich due to mishap in his elder kin.

This I like! Smile
    Master Greytalker

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:58 am  

OK all, here's what I've come up with. I've invented a family tree of sorts for this illegitimate PC (and, by association, for Querchard). I just need to know if anything here contradicts canon. (Please be gentle!)

His Magnitude, Querail Emondav, Earl of Sterich
    (N Flan-Suel fighter)
    b. 505 CY
    d. 558 CY

wed Her Eminence, Anne Emondav, Countess of Sterich
    -----(N Flan-Suel unclassed)

bore Sir Quermar Emondav, Ardreeve of Sterich
    ------(N Flan-Suel fighter)
    ------b. 529 CY
    ------d. 552 CY

------wed Medan Emondav
    -----------(CG Flan-Oeridian fighter)
    ------bore Iselline Emondav (later Elgarin)
    ------------(NG Flan unclassed)
    ------------b. 552 CY
    ------------Age 19 as of 571 CY (current campaign date)

bore Sir Querid Emondav, Ardreeve of Sterich
    ------(N Flan-Suel fighter)
    ------b. 533 CY
    ------d. 557 CY

bore His Magnitude, Querchard Emondav, Earl of Sterich
    ------(NG Flan-Suel bard of Fharlanghn)
    ------b. 538 CY
    ------Age 33 as of 571 CY

------wed Her Eminence, Resbin Dren Emondav, Countess of Sterich
    -----------(LN Flan* magic-user)

bore Dame Inaed Emondav, Reevess of Sterich
    ------(NG Flan-Suel cleric of Lydia)
    ------b. 545 CY
    ------d. 569 CY (faked death; actually age 26 as of 571 CY)

with Grona
    ------(N Suel druid of Phyton)

bore Vaan [Emondav] out of wedlock
    ------(NG Suel ranger of Phyton)
    ------b. 545 CY (twin)
    ------Age 26 as of 571 CY

bore Vinnia [Emondav] out of wedlock
    ------(Suel child)
    ------b. 545 CY (twin)
    ------d. 549 CY

* I know this contradicts some canon sources, but I prefer Resbin Dren Emondav to be Flan rather than some heretofore-unknown race from the far west. Confused
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:12 pm  

I found a few references to the origins of the Earl. Not sure if they are Canon, tho.

585 CY: Earl Querchard of Sterich killed at the Battle of Sgrald Island; Signing of the Treaty of Istivin ends the Drow conflict in Sterich; Eldrave of the House Eilserv sets up the first Drow OverOerth nation in a thousand years, in the Jotens, ruling from Ess'karn.

577 CY: The Earl of Sterich dies of old age without an heir. Querchard, Count of Cryllor is named as the new Earl by King Kimbertos. General Urthur daBerste appointed Count of Cryllor.

562 CY: Jaz'r'adin The Mage leaves Sterich after a disagreement with his lord, the Earl of Sterich and moves to southern Geoff. There he constructs his new home in Adlersvell with the help of the Dwer of Bergenlekk. Intrigued by Dwer tales, he researches and collates the legends of a lost human warrior tribe in the Crystalmists, ancestors of the Kallich who once inhabited the Good Hills, the Stark Mounds and Geoff.

http://freespace.virgin.net/scott.rennie/timeline.htm

and...

This mistrust seemed to change when Owen I became the Grand Duke of Geoff, for he was of the same bloodline as Earl Querchard of Sterich who, in turn, was regarded by King Kimbertos Skotti of Keoland as a favored cousin.

http://www.dracheninsel.de/dracheninsel/add/greyhawk/geoff.html

Hope it helps. If so could you post any revisions as I have a big interest in Sterich at the moment. Thanks.

I may have found others as well. Send me a message if you want more.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:38 pm  

Skech wrote:
    585 CY: Earl Querchard of Sterich killed at the Battle of Sgrald Island; Signing of the Treaty of Istivin ends the Drow conflict in Sterich; Eldrave of the House Eilserv sets up the first Drow OverOerth nation in a thousand years, in the Jotens, ruling from Ess'karn.

This bit right here contradicts canon by killing off Querchard in 585 CY. According to the DUNGEON® 117–119 series, Querchard is still alive in 590 CY. For that reason I pretty much discounted the rest of Scott Rennie's timeline.

Skech wrote:
    This mistrust seemed to change when Owen I became the Grand Duke of Geoff, for he was of the same bloodline as Earl Querchard of Sterich who, in turn, was regarded by King Kimbertos Skotti of Keoland as a favored cousin.

This I new, but thanks anyway. Smile
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:46 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    I just need to know if anything here contradicts canon. (Please be gentle!)

>>SNIP<<

bore Dame Inaed Emondav, Reevess of Sterich
    ------(NG Flan-Suel cleric of Lydia)
    ------b. 545 CY
    ------d. 569 CY (faked death; actually age 26 as of 571 CY)

Inaed is not canon, she's a creation of mine. Of course, that makes her better than any canon on Sterich, but I digress...
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:48 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    I know this contradicts some canon sources, but I prefer Resbin Dren Emondav to be Flan rather than some heretofore-unknown race from the far west. Confused

That contradicts nothing, there are no canon sources stating that Resbin is anything but Flan. Her description in the LGG jives perfectly with the description of the Flan, and in conversations with Erik about the material a few years back, he confirmed that she was in fact Flan.

Flan are common in Geoff and Sterich, no reason to assume she's anything else.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: