JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - My First Delving into OD&D
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    My First Delving into OD&D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:09 am  
    My First Delving into OD&D

Boy does this forum bring back memories. I remember when D&D was first coming out (yes, I am that old), and how intrigued I was with the whole thing. I started off with the simple boxed set that was in blue ink with the wand-wielding wizard and the bow-packing fighter about to attack a red dragon sitting atop its pile of treasure. I just thought the whole thing was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

When I discovered that there were also hard bound books available that went into further detail I just about bust a gut! My greatest memory was when I asked for and received the AD&D Monster Manual for my birthday (I think it must have been my 11th or 12th). For the first few weeks I took that book with me everywhere and was constantly reading it. I remember thinking "WOW, there are that many more monsters."

Anyone else have vivid memories of their first experience with D&D?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:28 am  

Rolling up my first character, he was a fighter called Telamon and when rolling his stats for strength I rolled an 18, and then I was told I had to roll his percentile strength.

So picking up the dice I rolled first a zero, then another zero. I was so dissappointed, I thought that meant zero, only my friends faces of absolute amazement indicated what it really meant. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:53 am  

My first character was in becmiD&D, i had to roll 3d6 in order (ignoring 1's and 2's) and the highest number came to be Dex. The party needed a thief theny they "suggested"to me to make one. Boy, i was frustrated by the complete lameness of the character class, but still i had great fun and advanced up to 18th level :)

Victor Caminha
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:40 pm  

sorry about the off topic comment, but Wykthor I just had to make a comment about your Sig Line, "kneel before Rahu": What agreat demon, I have mad him the villian in 2 seperate campaigns, and it has worked great. What a memorable Demon, and the fun you can have with cults and what-not devoted to him... sorry, just had to make a quick comment.

As for Old-school, basic D&D, yup my first dive into D&D was the good ol' Frank Mentzer Red box... man, those were fond memories...

.......................Omote

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:22 pm  

My first time was in 1982 at age 13-14 or so. It was with the Red box set with the Erol Otus art cover. My friend didn't have much of a clue as how to DM or with the rules or much of anything! I rolled up a magic-user and went by myself to the Caves of Chaos. He would literally ask me which room I wanted to go to on the map...yes he let me see the map... Wink ...I started with room 9 because 9 is my favorite number.

I hated the game and wouldn't play anymore for about 4 months when he caught a clue and retaught me the game...been hooked ever since.

Ah...the memories... Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:08 pm  
    I felt the pain of a newbie DM

I can feel the pain of a brand new DM who just did not have a clue.

I had bought a module and was having my brothers and their friends run through the adventure. Guess we were about 13 at the time. I did not have any rule books (we had to borrow them from the local library and constantly renew them in order to learn the game) as money was short. One of our friends had a few random lead figures that we used for every single encounter. I did not have any dice except some six siders from a monopoly game, so we draw chits out of a hat (I also fudged a lot of dice rolls to be handled by six sided dice). So basically, I was flying by the seat of my pants!

The adventure went poorly, I misread the text, used the wrong maps for the wrong encounters, and generally mucked things up. Heck, I ended up making up more rules then I followed! But the spirit of the game was enough to carry us through. We ended up playing a long and successful campaign.

I still look back at those first few clumsy efforts with fondness. It's little memories like those that make this such a great game.

O-D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:45 am  
    Late Starter

My first encounter with Dungeons and Dragons was at church youth new years eve party, Jan 1, 1993. I was 13 years old also, kind of strange all these 13's.... anyway. All night long some guys who were in high school were playing a game of AD&D 2ed and after the ball dropped their game was far from over. They decided to take the game to one of their houses and finish it. Jokingly, I said, "Hey, do you guys think I could come and watch, this is really neat!" To my surprise they said yes. I eventually went over and they were sitting around talking. Then they asked me if I could sit in for another player and play a character because the player wasn't allowed to come over. He was a dwarf, pyromaniac, of about 6 level fighter. I played him and loved every minute of burning some enemies out of their hold. The following weeks I didn't talk to the guys much because I was in junior high and they were in high school. Eventually I went hiking with the boyscouts in New Mexico that summer, (Trust me this is going somewhere.) On the way home I had a layover in the Denver Train Station. There was a comic shop in the station and they had a Player's Handbook and Dice for sale on a very meager gaming shelf. I bought them and took them home and started playing with nothing more than those two things for about 6 months and the rest is history. I now run a greyhawk campaign that is currently 3 1/2 years in the making. Sorry if I got long winded but I really got inspired while thinking back. Thanks for the memories. Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:48 am  

Xmas of 1980--I got the Monster Manual & Deities & Demigods (the original, with Cthulhu & Melnibonean mythos). I didn't have any dice, no PHB, no DMG, no friends who knew how to play, no idea what items I even needed to play--so I made up my own rules. I drew up dungeons on graph paper & put a different god in each room. Then I selected a god like Odin or something, had them go room through room, fighting a different god each time. I used 6-sided dice to decide who went first (50/50), & to see if they hit (50/50). Damage was maximum. Needless to say, that **** got old pretty quick, so I think maybe that summer or something, I finally convinced my mom to buy me the Basic OD&D set, then drafted a couple've redneck kids across the street, convincing one to DM (****, I wanted to PLAY). I remember one time me & the DM were playing alone, I had like 12 characters, but only 2 survived the dungeon. Good times.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:49 am  

My friend who was in catholic school no less, gave me the hardback AD&D DMG guide as a birthday present. It is still my most treasured game book despite the editions. My earliest memories is playing the Keep on the Borderlands in the cafeteria at school, those old dice were so worn they became marbles.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:56 am  

I was introduced to the game in January of 79. My mother would go to play cards at her friend's house, and her friend's kids, and some of the other card players' kids would play D&D downstairs in the game room. It was a cross between the 3 booklet set and AD&D; the Monster Manual and Players Handbook were out, but the DMG still hadn't been released. My first character was a fighter, but I can't remember the name. I was only nine, and for the most part it was older kids telling me to, "roll this one".
    It was late 82 when I started collecting my own copies of the AD&D books, and really understanding the rules.
    Scott
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:19 am  

What ever happened to Rhineglade? I haven't seen him around (on the net) in months.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: