JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sfirta & Berhodt
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sfirta & Berhodt
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:43 pm  
    Sfirta & Berhodt

LGG 106 mentions that the Schnai settled Sfirta and Berhodt. It's the only reference to these places I have been able to find anywhere. Can anyone point to other sources? Perhaps they are on a map somewhere that I haven't seen? [fingers crossed]
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:37 pm  
    Re: Sfirta & Berhodt

ephealy wrote:
    LGG 106 mentions that the Schnai settled Sfirta and Berhodt. It's the only reference to these places I have been able to find anywhere. Can anyone point to other sources? Perhaps they are on a map somewhere that I haven't seen? [fingers crossed]

Those locations are in "Fireland," no? Does any map of that region exist at all?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 01, 2006 3:06 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    Those locations are in "Fireland," no? Does any map of that region exist at all?

No map exists of the area between the Thillonrian and the Isles of Fire, as far as I know. Heck, there's no REAL map of Fireland.

I don't think Sfirta and Berhodt are in Fireland, though. From what I gathered, they are likely islands somewhere off the northern coast of the Thillonrian Peninsula.

Here's the quote from LGG (106): While the Fruztii were historically the most persistent in their raids upon the Aerdy, the Schnai explored the seas and the northern isles. Their discovery of Fireland during the early years of Fruztii raids southward was a great distraction. Rather than seek conquest in the Flanaess, they chose to explore the Lesser and Greater Isles of Fire, while they built settlements on the more habitable islands of Sfirta and Berhodt.
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 pm  

ephealy wrote:
    Here's the quote from LGG (106): While the Fruztii were historically the most persistent in their raids upon the Aerdy, the Schnai explored the seas and the northern isles. Their discovery of Fireland during the early years of Fruztii raids southward was a great distraction. Rather than seek conquest in the Flanaess, they chose to explore the Lesser and Greater Isles of Fire, while they built settlements on the more habitable islands of Sfirta and Berhodt.

It's this quote that led me to believe Sfirta and Berhodt were located among the Isles of Fire — and hence unmapped.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 am  

There are four islands indicated on the relatively undetailed map of Fireland. If you assume the largest two are the Isles of Fire, I suppose the others could be Sfirta and Berhodt... It is possible, though, that there are some small islands that the Fruztii found en route to Fireland. Not that it matters at this point, since no-one has ever tackled this issue (that I know of)... I just wanted to throw the bait out there and see if I got a nibble.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 02, 2006 5:00 pm  

There's also an island north of the Thillonrian on the LGG and Dungeon maps that might be worth considering. If first appeared in the glossography "expanded" map that shows off more of Oerik, but it's too far north to appear on the Darlene map from the folio or the boxed sets.

--Erik
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 03, 2006 10:02 pm  

iquander wrote:
    There's also an island north of the Thillonrian on the LGG and Dungeon maps that might be worth considering. If first appeared in the glossography "expanded" map that shows off more of Oerik, but it's too far north to appear on the Darlene map from the folio or the boxed sets.

Erik, are you talking about the one that is ca 200 miles NNW of Jotsplat? You know, I suppose it is entirely possible that S&B could be located up near Blackmoor Bay. That is, unless those snow-covered isles have already been detailed in some way...?

- Ed
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:53 am  

I am tapping this back to the top so that I can find any and all canon on Fireland. I am sending an article in for the detailing of Fireland, and hope that the Gurus here can help with all the canon out there.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:24 am  

Quote:

I'd read that quote to mean that there are at least four isles in Fireland:

Greater Isle of Fire
    Lesser Isle of Fire
    Sfirta
    Berhodt

Not to say the Schnai haven't colonised any other habitable lumps of rock up there, but that'd be my reading of the passage as presented. I'd also infer that the settlements on the isles (and the rewards of settling) were significant, if they distracted the Schnai from raiding south. That's not to say that they're still significant, of course - look at what happened to the Vinland and Greenland Viking settlements.

P.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:55 am  

Quote:
    that'd be my reading of the passage as presented

Me too, but not just as presented. Considering the maps with the absence of other isles and the need to provide names to those present, it makes sense.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:07 am  

I've come to favor the Blackmoor Bay location for Sfirta and Berhodt, leaving the islands of Fireland relatively unknown (and ready for development).
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 pm  

In my version of Fireland, there are two main islands and numerous (smaller than a hex) islands. The colonies of the Fruttzi are isolated, and have little or no real understanding of the indigenous peoples, though their reports to the mainland would cause one to believe that they do.

I also favor the Blackmoor Bay location for the two islands of Sfrita and Berholt.

I also like the "confused location," theme. i.e. the Fruttzi are not always sure where the islands are. This has strong parallells in the nordic tales and sagas.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:02 pm  

Woesinger wrote:
    Quote:

I'd read that quote to mean that there are at least four isles in Fireland:

Greater Isle of Fire
    Lesser Isle of Fire
    Sfirta
    Berhodt

Wolfsire wrote:
    Me too, but not just as presented. Considering the maps with the absence of other isles and the need to provide names to those present, it makes sense.

Well, if this topic is in any way democratic, that's my vote as well.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: