ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Old Faith in the County of Ulek
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Old Faith in the County of Ulek
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:49 pm  
    The Old Faith in the County of Ulek

G'day, all!

The next article I propose to write will examine the Old Faith as worshipped in the County of Ulek. Matters such as its influence with the people and the ruler, benefits to belonging to the faith, and important personages within the faith will be touched upon in some manner. :)

For a preview of my thoughts on the Old Faith, please have a look at this post in the Derwa Leafsister thread:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=15655#15655

If you have any particular questions or topics you'd like addressed, please raise them here!

Cheers!

Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:32 pm  

So the Old Faith is dying out? Excellent preview BTW.

Okay, let's except your reasoning as true and clear. Where is the Old Faith going? Why aren't Beory or the others (Ehlonna/Obad-Hai) concerned? Do these Gods have a solution? Do the druids have one? Where is the Emissary that the prophets promised us?...er, sorry Captain Sisko is busy. Is there a rift being created by a reformation movement? Who's at its heart? Certainly there are some hardliner, fundamentalist types who want a say about this. Is a war brewing?

Will you be explaining more about how the Druids saw their historical decline within the Sheldomar Valley? Who's to blame and which events led to this? Will you be showing a druidic heirarchy within the County?

Have you looked at the various articles dealing with the Druidic Enclaves thru-out the Flanaess? Are you dismissing these sources as part of your work? Fine if you do, I'm just asking. What about some of the Flanaess more noteable druids and their takes on this like Reynard Yargrove? Can we get more depth on the Count and his view?

Could you make note of a few specific Old Faith sites within the County?

Again thank you for being so thot provoking and for sharing your work.

Skech

PS: Are there any classic County specific greetings available in your game?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:17 am  

I just can't understand it, perhaps the druids see this as a cycle or they just don't get the attention of the ruling classes because the choose to remain in the background,

Every supplement seems to show the "people of the land" - farmers, hunters and herdsmen- peasant classes all pay some respect and welcome druids and the old faith unofficially. (Even in "evil lands" like GK)

Given the recent articles on Druids and reworking the Bard class as more old faith it seems the current trend it to highlight the old faith not extingiush it.

I would hate to see such an interesting aspect of GH given the "tolkien" treatment, granted the old faith isn't showy like others with the fanfare or temples but it does have influence among the people and quietly is restoring balance, perhaps this is all a druidic plan to revitalize the faiths of the forces of good to rebalance the flanaess.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:38 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Every supplement seems to show the "people of the land" - farmers, hunters and herdsmen- peasant classes all pay some respect and welcome druids and the old faith unofficially. (Even in "evil lands" like GK)

To a large extent, I draw upon the 1983 Greyhawk set and Living Greyhawk Gazetteer as my primary sources of canon. Other supplements I use or discard as suits my conception of Greyhawk.

I see druids as being very important to Greyhawk, but not druids of the Old Faith. Would an Oeridian farmer worship Beory when he's got the Oeridian Nature Deities to worship? I think not.

In any case, the primary aim of my articles to provide interesting situations and resources for the play of D&D.

Cheers!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: