ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - details on Kelanan
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    details on Kelanan
    Novice

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:45 am  
    details on Kelanan

Hi,
    I will be making a church of Kelanan soon and I need details of his religion. He is not in LGG. Can someone tell me if there is a canon holy symbol and/or portfolios and domains. Oh yeah, and alignment - thats the biggie.
    thanks
    Rurik
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:01 am  

Rurik,

Welcome to Canonfire. This is the best place online for Greyhawk anywhere. Everyone here seems very knowledgeable and friendly. I hope you learn to like it as I did.

I'll assume you've looked here thru Canonfire.

First do a google search and check the spelling of his name: Kelanen. Wink

Second, some info is available on one of his orders in Dungeon Magazine #117. It's not a church, tho. It's in the description of the City of Istivin.

I have two small MS word docs from the web that I could send you if you like. Just let me know.

Lastly, he appears in the World of Greyhawk box set which can be purchased as a pdf file at
    http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1430&

Hope these tips help. Happy
    Cheers,
    Skech
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:32 am  

Also, find a post in the forum by DMPrata, see the "*NEW* Search the Forums" at the top left. All his posts have a link to his pdf Dietybase which has a page for Kenanen.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:01 am  
    Re: details on Kelanan

Download the Living Greyhawk Deities PDF; it has all the hero-deities included.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:57 am  

If you have access to the 1998 TSR release 'slavers' I believe there is a write-up on Kelanen in the back.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:39 am  

From The WORLD OF GREYHAWK® Deitybase™:
    Quote:
    KELANEN (Hero-Deity)
    (KEL-ah-nen)

Sword Lord, The Prince of Swords

AL N; WAL Any; SoC Swords, Sword Skills, Balance; SY Nine swords in starburst (silver or platinum); AN None; CR Silver, gray; HD 6th of each month, festival Earthdays; PoW Temple; CL Clerics; PN Special.

Kelanen, Sword Lord, is one of the very powerful individuals who might, or might not, be a true deity. Thus, he is known as a “Hero-Deity,” and some who live by the sword pay him homage. Although his true form is commanding, Kelanen usually takes the guise of a beggar, thief, mercenary, or rogue. In any of these disguises, he will appear to be unremarkable, sometimes young, sometimes of middle years. He has the power to alter self at will, so Kelanen seldom appears in the same form twice, except when he chooses to show his true form. Each of his forms always bears a scar on face or neck — for the reason that will be revealed later. In any form, Kelanen prefers garments of gray or blue-gray and ornaments of silver or platinum.

The true form of Kelanen is that of a youngish, quite handsome man, fair of complexion with silvery-gray eyes and coal-black hair. It is said that he was once as comely as any deity, but in order to become the Prince of Swords, Kelanen had to undergo a series of challenges and tests that resulted in his disfigurement. His visage bears a long, silvery scar from eye to chin on the right side of his face. Those who know of the Sword Lord recognize Kelanen immediately when this mark is revealed. His form is slender and sinewy, his height just under six feet. He is unnaturally quick and fleet due to enchantments placed upon him.

Kelanen wears olven chain mail. He employs few other protections. The sword is Kelanen’s only weapon. He is expert with any form of blade, from short to two-handed, cutlass to scimitar. He is able to use a bastard sword to full effect in either hand while the other wields another sword. Kelanen has two special swords, which are never far from his person. These weapons are Swiftdoom, a bastard sword made of glassteeled adamant, and Sureguard, a broadsword, also of glassteeled adamant.

It is reputed that Kelanen has no friends or confidants other than his two swords. It is certain that he is likely to be able to summon either. Kelanen has a stronghold in an extra-dimensional partial plane. He usually travels on the Prime Material Plane, however, be it Oerth or another parallel world, seeking adventure and engaging in actions of warlike sort that promote the balance of neutrality.

Kelanen’s Clerics

Sex M, F; AB Str 13; AL N; AEx None; WPN Crossbow, dagger,  sword (1st); AR Standard; RA Gray or blue-gray garments; PW 1) enchanted weapon (swords only), may specialize in any one sword, make multiple attacks as fighter, 3) alter self, 5) sword dance (see below), 7) gain +2 protection (as the ring), 10) may cause a held weapon to act as a flame tongue or frost brand for 5 rounds; TU Nil.

Kelanen’s clerics relentlessly practice their sword skills and spend much of their time training others. They are expected to work to maintain the balance of all things, and they prefer melee combat to the use of missiles. Their  advocacy of balance means they often form temporary alliances with people of extreme alignments, breaking the alliance when the balance is restored.

Clerics of Kelanen have a variant spiritual hammer spell (spiritual blade), which creates a sword-shaped force and inflicts slashing or piercing damage instead of bludgeoning damage. The material component is a hurled dagger. The spell is otherwise identical to spiritual hammer. The sword dance power gained at 5th level allows the cleric to animate any sword, causing it to attack in melee as if wielded by the cleric (similar to a sword of dancing); this lasts one round per level.

As a hero-deity, Kelanen grants spells of up to level 4 only. His clerics have no spell ability at 1st level and thereafter cast one less spell of each level group than other clerics. They may substitute the druidic spell flame blade for a clerical spell of the same level.

(Keep in mind this is for AD&D®; some conversion may be necessary if you use a different rule set.)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:06 pm  

I recommend Slavers as the best resource for the church.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: