JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - GreyTalk archives
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    GreyTalk archives
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:34 pm  
    GreyTalk archives

So what ever did happen to the GreyTalk archives? I had some old pieces on there, and the link only goes to a "want this website? it can be yours!' page.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:43 pm  

Morgan, the creator and host of the old GT archive, let the project lapse and the domain name expire, for reasons unknown to me (lack of time and fading interest are my best guess).

Gary holian, creator and host of canonfire, is now in possession of the old archive files, and as I understand it, keeping a running archive of things posted since its demise, with the intent of eventually (when time and server resources permit) rebuilding it here on canonfire for all to use.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:47 pm  

Cool. I hope to see it up again at some point. Although I like Canonfire, I miss the old GT days...

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:28 pm  

gargoyle---

Gary and I chatted about working on a fix for the GT Archives during the last chat I attended, and hopefully we'll be able to discuss it further during my next trip to CA (end of this month).

I wouldn't hold your breath, though....

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:13 pm  

Are the files so screwed up that nothing can be done?

Mike
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:39 pm  

No, the files are fine (its a database actually), the problem is the size. The archive alone is much bigger than the entire canonfire website, and well exceeds the current disc space CF has to work with.
    CF Admin

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:06 am  

Alas, Gary didn't show up for cheese steaks, so we weren't able to discuss the status of the archives. I'll try to pop into chat again soon to harass him on it :D

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:44 am  
    What about...

This would be nowhere near as good as the old searchable archives, but what if we had a space where we could re-post our favorite old posts, like the "Best of AOL" files here on Canonfire? I happen to have boxes of Greytalk printouts hogging up space in storage. I dream about having the time to "save" the Greytalk archives someday by scanning them all and putting them on the web, but I'm not even sure of the legality of that. But they are there, if anyone needs them someday. Someday...

Scott "-enkainen" Casper

If Yak-Men were 3E monsters, they would have the half-packrat template...
    CF Admin

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:10 pm  

I haven't talked to Morgan about this in awhile, so perhaps something can be done from that side of things?

If it came down to it, I'd happily take down my site to make room for the Archives....

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 pm  

I don't know anything about computers :) So I don't know if the files can be made searchable. Maybe a 'drive' via Paypal or something could be done for a bigger server for Canonfire/Greytalk like they did on EnWorld.

Mike
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:33 pm  

grodog wrote:
    I haven't talked to Morgan about this in awhile, so perhaps something can be done from that side of things?

If it came down to it, I'd happily take down my site to make room for the Archives....

Noooooooooo!!! Shocked I love your site.
    CF Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:38 pm  

Thanks Scott, but the archives are much more important than my site.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 am  

Qstor wrote:
    I don't know anything about computers :) So I don't know if the files can be made searchable. Maybe a 'drive' via Paypal or something could be done for a bigger server for Canonfire/Greytalk like they did on EnWorld.

Mike

I would personally hate to see any of the staff of canonfire resort to the groveling, pandering and begging that goes on at enworld. Even though cf is nowhere near the size on enworld, let's say $500 was raised, probably more than enough to pay the hosting for a year. Downtime, lack of updates, etc become an issue. Unlike that site, which has raised well over $50,000 in the last three years and still encounters frequent lenghty downtimes, performance issues and such, and still charges users for full access to basic forum functions that are free on almost every other forum out there, cf has never asked for money, never charged for access, and had a much better track record for reliability (and no, comparitive size of the sites is no longer an issue when you are bringing in nearly $20k a year in addition to the fees for full membership, profits from the online shop, ad revenue, etc.) CF should stay free, and not have to bother users with fund raisers every few months.

For the record, if money is the only thing causing the delay, I have personally made a fairly substantial and generous offer to assist in paying for the site's hosting, bandwidth and software upgrades.

Now someone just needs to light a fire under Holian and get things rolling.

Last edited by chatdemon on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:36 am  

Again, for the record, in the discussions Holian and I have had on the matter, the codex of greyhawk and the greytalk archive would be hosted on canonfire.com proper, not greyhawkonline. Not saying that isnt an option, but it wasn't part of the discussions so far. Once the codex is added to cf anyway, the site will be about at the point of outgrowing the current hosting limits anyway, so an upgrade is going to be eventually needed.

Just pointing that out before any of the folks hosting their sites on gho don't panic and pull down their sites.

Oh, and for the record, the Codex of Greyhawk is being worked on currently, by yours truly, and will appear on cf by year's end at the latest, you can quote me on that.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 am  

chatdemon wrote:
    CF should stay free, and not have to bother users with fund raisers every few months.

I would agree. Then again, I have never found Greytalk particularly valuable as a resource.

chatdemon wrote:
    Oh, and for the record, the Codex of Greyhawk is being worked on currently, by yours truly, and will appear on cf by year's end at the latest, you can quote me on that.

Great news! Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:52 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    I would agree. Then again, I have never found Greytalk particularly valuable as a resource.

Well, while the list hasn't held much in the way of conversations taht interest me of late, I don't claim to enforce that opinion on those currently using it, and besides the archive contains 10 years of posts, and is a huge source of material.
    Novice

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:34 pm  

Change the host? I mentioned powweb.com to you CD in chat one time.
    CF Admin

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:41 pm  

chatdemon wrote:

That sounds great, Rich. If you need help beta testing it at some point, feel free to let me know: it's been a long, long time since we had the arcihves up and running.

FWIW, Morgan was also archiving the Greyhawk-l list too, but WotC does still have an archive of that online....

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:41 pm  
    Hmm?

Hi all,

Rich Trickey wrote that he was bringing back the Codex of Greyhawk! Would that be restoring Kent Mathewson's old site, or creating a new site and just calling it the Codex?

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Yak-Men don't take kindly to any Greytalk-dissing...
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:51 pm  

When Kent closed the Codex site, he sent all the files to Gary Holian for the purpose of archival on Canonfire.

So, the codex project I'm working on is simply an archive of the old site, with nothing changed but tweaking the html of the pages to make them look pretty on canonfire. Also, since the OJ now has a permanent site of its own, the ezines section of the codex archive will be removed.

Everything else will be presented in original form, minus the sometimes buggy javascript scrolling menus. The archive will have a distinct section here, yet still be searchable through the canonfire search engine, so if one was to search for, say, "yakmen" on the search box at the top of any canonfire or codex page, results from both would be displayed.
    CF Admin

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:03 pm  

Hey Rich---

Any updates on the codex or archive? I'll be quite excited to see either arise from the grave :D

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:52 am  

grodog wrote:
    Hey Rich---

Any updates on the codex or archive?

Not really, sadly. I've had a lot of real life intruding on my gaming related projects of late.
    CF Admin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:31 pm  

I hear you. I haven't updated my site in far too long...

Keep us posted as you're able to work on these, please: lots of folks are interested in seeing the Codex and Archive being online again :D

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:33 pm  

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. As I said, I love Canonfire, and all the material I can find here. Just a few things that I and others did on GT that I don't have access to anymore, and it would be kind of nice to see them again... Wink
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: