JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Noble Kings and Dark Lands
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Noble Kings and Dark Lands
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:10 pm  
    Noble Kings and Dark Lands

I have finally gotten around to going through Noble Kings and Dark Lands (NKDL), written by E. Gary Gygax for his Lejendary Adventures game. It is another in EGG's earth pastiches, specifically Europe and Africa in NKDL. NKDL is the first, and to my knowledge only expansion on the Lejendary Earth Gazetteer, which is an earth pastiche much in the vein of Aerth for the Dangerous Journeys game. Aerth is, of course, one of the shadows of Oerth, as set out by EGG in Polyhedron 21.

Unfortunately, NKDL does not invoke Oerth directly or by indirection. Indeed, the same is true of Lejendary Earth. However, reference is made to numerous "doors" to other worlds. It is tempting to pencil in Lejendary Earth for Uerth, another of Oerth's shadows.

Earth is naturally well known. Oerth is well described to the extent of the Flanaess. Yarth is known via the Sagard novels and maps. Aerth is exceedingly well described in the Dangerous Journeys book. Of the Polyhedron 5, only Uerth remains unknown from EGG's pen. The temptation is then strong to see Lejendary Earth as Uerth. EGG might object, but that doesn't remove the temptation.

On its own terms NKDL is only a so-so product. It pales next to Aerth. Aerth is a strong, energetic pastiche. Lejendary Earth is weak by comparison. Ironically, this somewhat fits the description of Uerth in Polyhedron 21. Of most interest is NKDL's take on "Africa." This is mostly new teritory for EGG and his conception is . . . "interesting," easily the highlght of NKDL.

If one wishes to forge a connection to Oerth, this is where such can be most easily accomplished, IMO. NKDL contains a version of Egypt, as does Aerth, as does Earth (natch), as does Oerth - if you wish to credit Erypt from the Dragon Annual map. The veil between worlds could well be weaker in such similar places. It is up to you.

IMO, NKDL is not as much fun as Aerth and then not as useful in a GH campaign as an alternate Oerth. However, if taken as Uerth, it is good enough, and likely all you are going to get as EGG is fully occupied with Castle Zagig for the foreseeable future.

Take it or leave it. I can nether recommend nor not recommend NKDL.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:21 am  

It is tempting to include it as you suggest GVD, and although I have never read this book (though I do have 4 or 5 LA books), I'm pretty sure that Chris Clark, who is Gary's right-hand man in developing all things related to Lejendary Earth, has a few new products are coming down the pipeline in that regard. I've sat in on a few of Chris's games at a con, and he is quite good.

--Ghul
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:46 pm  

Ghul wrote:
    It is tempting to include it as you suggest GVD, and although I have never read this book (though I do have 4 or 5 LA books), I'm pretty sure that Chris Clark, who is Gary's right-hand man in developing all things related to Lejendary Earth, has a few new products are coming down the pipeline in that regard. I've sat in on a few of Chris's games at a con, and he is quite good.

--Ghul

I would welcome further development of LE, most especially if EGG is involved. Smile But I'd rather have CZ! Wink Happy
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: