Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Which edition of the core setting book introduced you to GH?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Which edition of the core setting book introduced you to GH?

Which edition of the "core" setting book introduced you to Greyhawk?
    Supplement 1: Greyhawk (softcover?; 1979; Original D&D)
    1%
     1%  [ 1 ]
    Greyhawk Folio (folio; 1980; 1E AD&D)
    22%
     22%  [ 13 ]
    Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting (boxed set; 1983; 1E AD&D)
    48%
     48%  [ 28 ]
    From the Ashes (boxed set; 1992; 2E AD&D)
    6%
     6%  [ 4 ]
    The Adventure Begins (softcover; 1998; 2E AD&D revised)
    1%
     1%  [ 1 ]
    Gazetteer (softcover; 2000; 3E D&D)
    5%
     5%  [ 3 ]
    Living Greyhawk Gazateer (softcover; 2000; D&D)
    13%
     13%  [ 8 ]
    Total Votes : 58

Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 24, 2004 11:03 pm  
    Which edition of the core setting book introduced you to GH?

For me, it was 3) Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting boxed set.

Last edited by dead on Tue May 25, 2004 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 25, 2004 6:37 am  

That would be 3) Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting '83
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 25, 2004 7:25 am  

I t would 3 for me also... I had heard about greyhawk before I got the 83 boxed set, but didn't know anything about it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 25, 2004 8:00 am  

I also started gaming with the 83 Boxed Set! That was around 1988 I guess...

What I see is 4 replies (all to option 3) but only 2 votes in the poll. Question

Saludos,
    Gabriel

Tue May 25, 2004 8:03 am  

carlanco wrote:

What I see is 4 replies (all to option 3) but only 2 votes in the poll. Question

Saludos,
    Gabriel

I went in and added the poll manually. Apparently Baggins was having some trouble getting the poll started so those replies were there before the poll was. Wink

Tue May 25, 2004 8:05 am  

carlanco wrote:

Saludos,
    Gabriel

When Baggins first posted his poll question the poll wasn't working for him for some reason. So it started out as a write in poll. Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 25, 2004 4:33 pm  

Wow, the '83 boxed set is winning!

Did anyone buy the D&D Gazetteer and then was highly annoyed after buying the LG Gazetteer because the LG book reprints and expands all the material in D&D Gazetteer.

I feel like I was tricked!

I traded my D&D Gazetteer in. It's useless! Even beginning Greyhawkers are gonna want more than that 32 page excuse to capture GH.

Rant over.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 25, 2004 4:39 pm  

Quote:
    Did anyone buy the D&D Gazetteer and then was highly annoyed after buying the LG Gazetteer because the LG book reprints and expands all the material in D&D Gazetteer.
    yes

although to be fair I found out later that the LGG was written first, and the stuff from the 32 pager was taken out of it and published seperatly before the larger one... because some poeple at WotC didn;t think that anybody but hard core RPGAers would want the expmnded info or some such crap.

many people have found a use for the 32 pager by giving it out to the players in thier games as kind of a players guide to greyhawk, since it is filled with stuff that a character should know about the world he lives in, but is moslty lacking in the sort of stuff that DMs do not want thier players to know... alas I wish I had thought of that sue for the 32 pager before I sold it... I am now running a greyhawk game with a group of poeple that have nevr played in greyhawk before, and it would have come in handy.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 26, 2004 2:36 am  

Supplement 1: Greyhawk is/was not a campaign setting document and has little, if anything, to do with the Greyhawk setting. It was simply a collection of expanded rules for D&D.

Wed May 26, 2004 2:38 am  

By the way, only admins can start polls here. Please keep them in the Greyhawk Discussion folder in the future.

Wed May 26, 2004 12:10 pm  
    Temple of Elemental Evil

I saw the Temple of Elemental Evil at Hammond Games and bought it. That was the item that got me involved in Greyhawk in 1985. After browsing through the adventure, I realized there was a lot about this setting I did not know, but wanted to learn. So, I purchased the 1983 World of Greyhawk Fantasy Campaign Setting boxed set shortly after.

Great setting, and really has a firm place in my heart.

Wed May 26, 2004 3:32 pm  

chatdemon wrote:
    By the way, only admins can start polls here. Please keep them in the Greyhawk Discussion folder in the future.

This originally started in the "Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback" section as a poll suggestion. Then a Canonfire administrator turned it into a poll for me. Then it was moved by an administrator from that section and put in the "World of Greyhawk Discussion" section.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 26, 2004 5:32 pm  

4 me :)

Greyhawk Folio (folio; 1980; 1E AD&D)

Mike

Thu May 27, 2004 12:33 am  

Baggins wrote:

This originally started in the "Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback" section as a poll suggestion. Then a Canonfire administrator turned it into a poll for me. Then it was moved by an administrator from that section and put in the "World of Greyhawk Discussion" section.

Right. Only administrators (AKA Canonfire staff) can start polls in the Help & Feedback section. That allows us to survey you guys about new or upcoming features and other site related issues.

You guys are more than welcome to start Greyhawk related polls here in the Greyhawk Discussion section. Rich (chatdemon) was just explaining why you had trouble starting a poll over there and why he moved it here.

Thu May 27, 2004 12:58 am  

Despotrix wrote:

Rich (chatdemon) was just explaining why you had trouble starting a poll over there and why he moved it here.

I actually never attemped to start it in the help section. I tried to start it in the GH Discussion area but the options didn't come up. So I submitted it as a "Poll Suggestion". Indeed, this was the original title of my post. After I found out someone had made it into a poll, I went in and edited the title. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 27, 2004 1:06 am  

chatdemon wrote:
    Supplement 1: Greyhawk is/was not a campaign setting document and has little, if anything, to do with the Greyhawk setting. It was simply a collection of expanded rules for D&D.

If Supplement 1: Greyhawk was just expanded rules, does this mean that Supplement II: Blackmoor was also just expanded rules?

If the answer is yes, then why do people say that Blackmoor was the first ever RPG campaign setting?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 27, 2004 2:31 am  

Two reasons:

1) Supp 2: Blackmoor was actually produced before Supp 1: Greyhawk. Check the dates in the original printings to confirm this.

2) Supp 2: Blackmoor contains an adventure, an early version of Arneson's Temple of the Frog introductory (to Blackmoor) adventure.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:57 pm  

D&D Gazetteer.

I saw it on a book store... and then I decided to look for more about that setting. Soon i discovered the Living Greyhawk and now i´ve got a lot of Greyhawk books.
    CF Admin

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:47 pm  

I voted for the 1980 Folio, although my first introduction to Greyhawk came from articles in The Dragon....

Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:46 pm  

Ahhhh...refreshing. :) Refreshing to see that the majority of folks here started in the very early 80's (me, 1980; the folio edition).

Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:18 pm  
    I don't remember....

Was the Folio the one that was like a high-school folder, with pockets for the two books, and the massive map? If so, that's what I had. I don't remember a box, at least I don't think I do....

Damn, the 80s were a long time ago.

Telas
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:58 pm  

Denakhan wrote:
    Ahhhh...refreshing. :) Refreshing to see that the majority of folks here started in the very early 80's (me, 1980; the folio edition).

Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Happy

I voted the '83 boxed set but I must have bought it brand new at around '89. I think that boxed set was reprinted for quite some time. Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:38 pm  
    For me it was...

Supplement One. The little brown book.

I still have my original set of those, as well as extras...It's interesting to go back peridically and glance through them.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:59 pm  

Quote:

I did buy D&D Gazetteer when it hit the shelves as I thought it could give me good idea for my homeworld. This was my first contact with Greyhawk even if I'm playing D&D since 1992, I always prefered homeworld to "rigid" official setting. Then I realized that Greyhawk wasn't this rigid compare to FR or DL. Then I gathered background info on GH to add to my homeworld. This until recently, I realize that my world is somekind of a pale copy of GH. So I decide to switch to GH and I just bought the LG Gazetteer in french (see I'm from Québec and I was bored to always translate description to my bros...). I'm quite pleased to have both because even if I don't have to translate the descriptions, still their are some names translation that bother me, having both let me choose which one I prefer.

The only thing I regret is that I should have done the opposite, D&D Gazetteer in french ang LG Gazetteer in english, this way I could have lend the first one to my bros so they et a glimps to the world without having them knowing too much.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:02 pm  

I had already bought a number of the 1st ed modules and so had an idea of greyhawk already then I got the boxed set which I thought was great. I haven't seen the LGC yet although I do prefer stuff pre the Greyhawk wars (mainly as I'm not too enthralled with 3rd Ed).

Chaz
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:07 am  

I actually got introduced to Greyahwk through the stories on www.peldor.com, where Tim Miller wrote up his college years campaign. It has taken me 6 years(!!!) to get my own Greyahwk campaign started, but now there's at least one 2E on going on.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:27 am  
    The original book

I was 11, and it was 1981. I bought the original softcover books... Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry and Chainmail, along with an incomplete book from the Basic Box Set with a dragon on the cover in blue and grey. I bought it all from an older kid who "was too old to play." It cost me $5. I did not know how to play, but a friend had played a little. We didn't have any dice, so we made it up as we went. I was the player, he the DM. And just told a story.

later I went back and bought everything else he had... for $20. The box included a first edition Player Handbook, DM's Guide, Deities & Demigods (with Melnibone & Lankhamar), a MM, and about 50 minatures. Later I bought the Fiend Folio and the Folio.

I played with those until college, and even then I never bought 2ed., just use other peoples books. Wow, that was the best $25.00 I have ever spent (Well other than that 1st drink I bought my wife; of course I will be paying for that for years to come.)
    Novice

Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:01 pm  

I first saw the name Greyhawk when i got my first OD&D box set, but as mentioned earlier it really wasnt much of a setting, just rules. After that I am not sure if i first really learned of the setting Greyhawk from Dragon or the Folio i got somtime in '81. Probably Dragon, but we never played in Greyhawk till after the Folio.

Jerry M

The Knights & Knaves Alehouse - OD&D/AD&D Discussion Forum
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:48 am  

I got started with the living greyhawk gazetteer that dethalion kindly fixed me up witth. I'm probably a young gamer unlike the rest of you in that i'm only 18 years of age and have been gaming for a short 4 years but i'm glad that deth and gary hooked me onto greyhawk converting me from the settings i was using before that becuase its for sure the best fantasy world i've had the pleasure to be involved in.

Thanks to them and everyone else at the forums for being patient and answering my questions, and helping my experience of Oerth to grow

Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:38 pm  
    *sigh*

Eighteen Exclamation Question

/me weeps in the corner.

I am old enough to have sired the next generation of 'Hawkers...

I have dice that I still use that are older than that...

Gads. Old...old...

/me wanders off in search of a cane and a can of ensure.

manachild wrote:
    I got started with the living greyhawk gazetteer that dethalion kindly fixed me up witth. I'm probably a young gamer unlike the rest of you in that i'm only 18 years of age and have been gaming for a short 4 years but i'm glad that deth and gary hooked me onto greyhawk converting me from the settings i was using before that becuase its for sure the best fantasy world i've had the pleasure to be involved in.

Thanks to them and everyone else at the forums for being patient and answering my questions, and helping my experience of Oerth to grow

Happy
    Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:49 am  

Yeah I just found out today I've been playing GH since before one of my players (who is in college) was born. Chilling perspective. I fully intend to play GH even when I'm in the old folks home.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: