JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New Info on Southern Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New Info on Southern Oerth
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 pm  
    New Info on Southern Oerth

Dragon 350 contains a "Savage Tidings" article that adds some but not much new information to what is known of the area under the rubric of a "Regional Guide." Unfortunately, the article largely reinforces some of the already well known, but not well thought out, IMO, "canon" associated with the region. In fact, the article is essentially a regurgitation of various canon statements about the southern seas with little new added. It is a short article, which is some excuse, but to those GHers familiar with the area, it offers little new. For those unfamiliar with the area, I suppose it is a revelation. It is too this latter group that the article, of course, addresses itself as part of the Adventure Path. I am disappointed that another opportunity to do some creative open field running with the Savage Tide AP has too much been allowed to slip away. Savage Tide Tamoachan turned out to be a tease for want of space, this article is worse. It lacks space and imagination within that space. YMMV.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:35 pm  

This is the second suitable expansion on the south of the flanaess (unless one counts Holian's Isle of Dread adaption), so perhaps, GVD, like you said in the Wee Jas thread, the third time could be the charm. I see this breaking of ground as an opportunity to run with these published kernels and reconcile the bland inconsistencies brought on by Core-i-fication. This could be a golden opportunity for those CF authors with a vested interest in the Olman, the various jungles and the south seas-islands to write new or updated articles and improve upon Savage Tide's lackluster material.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:38 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    This could be a golden opportunity for those CF authors with a vested interest in the Olman, the various jungles and the south seas-islands to write new or updated articles and improve upon Savage Tide's lackluster material.

Considering it. :)
    Master Greytalker

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:18 pm  

I do not have 350 yet, but i have to say that, contrary to the opinion of many, I like this AP better than any other. I find the adventures interesting, but more importantly my players love it. The city of Sasserine was well liked, and they didnt seem to notice all of the problems noted here. To them the addition of water and ocean was new, as we have all played fairly land locked campaigns for the last few decades.

Though I understand some of the complaints with this AP, so far the end users seem to love it.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:45 pm  

Yes, this article does start out with all the stuff GLH has been saying, some of which I've elaborated on, about Keoland, the Suel migrations, and the southern seas. In fact, since those comments on the Keoish Explorer-Kings, their war with Toli and that take on the Suel Migrations have only appeared in my timeline, they are in fact "new" canon. I can see how some would be gravely disappointed with that.

Also it should be noted that most of the article covers some feats, an affilition, and some potential PC replacements or NPC recruits.
    There's a lot more to this piece, and I encourage people to check it out themselves.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:08 am  

Anced_Math wrote:
    I do not have 350 yet, but i have to say that, contrary to the opinion of many, I like this AP better than any other. I find the adventures interesting, but more importantly my players love it. The city of Sasserine was well liked, and they didnt seem to notice all of the problems noted here. To them the addition of water and ocean was new, as we have all played fairly land locked campaigns for the last few decades.

Though I understand some of the complaints with this AP, so far the end users seem to love it.

I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify and second the motion- while I was disappointed with the scanty Tamoachan material in the Dungeon adventure and in the Dragon Savage Tidings - I think the Savage Tide is the best AP to date and a fine set of adventures, so far, by any standard. I especially like Sasserine and its regional Gaz so far.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:16 am  

Samwise wrote:
    Yes, this article does start out with all the stuff GLH has been saying, some of which I've elaborated on, about Keoland, the Suel migrations, and the southern seas. In fact, since those comments on the Keoish Explorer-Kings, their war with Toli and that take on the Suel Migrations have only appeared in my timeline, they are in fact "new" canon. I can see how some would be gravely disappointed with that.

Congrats. Your work was quality and I am glad to see it incorporated into canon.

Last edited by Wolfsire on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:19 am  

GVDammerung wrote:

I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify and second the motion- while I was disappointed with the scanty Tamoachan material in the Dungeon adventure and in the Dragon Savage Tidings - I think the Savage Tide is the best AP to date and a fine set of adventures, so far, by any standard. I especially like Sasserine and its regional Gaz so far.

I was very happy wiht the Tamoachan material. There was not a whole lot of it, but what was there was new, good and interesting. That, IMO, is just right for a module.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:59 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    I was very happy wiht the Tamoachan material. There was not a whole lot of it, but what was there was new, good and interesting. That, IMO, is just right for a module.

Well, part of a module at least. Smile

For me:

What was new was simply the physical layout/encounter areas.

What was good was that it worked to get people to Tamoachan.

What was interesting was . . . well, what was interesting?

Help me out here. Smile What did you find particularly interesting about the new Tamoachan material?

Not trying to be argumentaive but I'm just not seeing the new material as interesting. I wonder why the gnome cared if this was all he was going to see/find.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:26 pm  

Well, I don't have the mag in front of me. I could care less about the gnome. IIRC, the end of the mod has a well with a lot of kings. That informs the history at least, I think to elevate the importance of inhabitants of C1. Wall of Iron? Adds to the an issue that has been debated here. Map of city. Not much but something to work with. The reoccurance of the floor map indicates that it is not just a quirk of C1 (in which it occurs more than once), but rather an element of their culture. Let me see ... where could they have gotten the idea of aerial views ... Wink It is escaping me right now, but I recall something about the Olman world view that I think was similar to what was presented before, but somewhat different. Also, the demon nexus. That idea is not new, but filling it in with a particular application is.

On a different issue, what was up with not mentioning Wastri?
    GreySage

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:06 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:

Why would bullywugs way down in the Amedio care about Wastri? This particular tribe is full of Dagon-worshipers.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:04 am  

Samwise wrote:

Kewl! If enough of your theories become as close to canon as Greyhawk can get these days, will we have to elevate you to Hero God status? If so, you'd better come up with a portfolio, an anagram of your real name, and start gathering followers. Maybe canonfire's next poll can record how many heretics will follow you Laughing !

Now we are two.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:21 am  

This AP is the deathknell to my Dungeon subscription...I extended it by 6 issues just to have the complete AP but I really don't like the direction of the magazine.

Although the adventures themselves are okay I really dislike what they have (or maybe haven't done) with relation to Greyhawk. I think this can pretty much be pinned on the fact that James isn't much of a "fanboy" of Greyhawk that Mona was.

So be it, my Dragon subs. was the first to go my Dungeon is next.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:15 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Wolfsire wrote:

Why would bullywugs way down in the Amedio care about Wastri? This particular tribe is full of Dagon-worshipers.

I wish I had the mag in front of me. There is no particular reason for Wastri over Dagon except for some particular text in the mag, which, unfortunately I cannot reference right now. It was not the slad (sp), but something mentioned near the introduction of relation to them.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:23 am  

PaulN6 wrote:

Kewl! If enough of your theories become as close to canon as Greyhawk can get these days, will we have to elevate you to Hero God status? If so, you'd better come up with a portfolio, an anagram of your real name, and start gathering followers. Maybe canonfire's next poll can record how many heretics will follow you Laughing !

Now we are two.

Ah, but what domains will he grant? Choose wisely if you want those worshippers to come flocking in. 3rd ed. did wonders for Kelanen's popularity once that whole Travel and War thing got off the ground. Smile
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: