JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Campaign background idea
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Campaign background idea
    Novice

Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:59 am  
    Campaign background idea

I'm working on a campaign based on the "Fate of Istus" module's plague story. I want the back story to make sense even if the players never fully understand what is happening. Taking ideas from all over I've come up with what I think is a good basis for the story. I had two main goals. First to have a plausible explanation for why there is an incurable plague sweeping the lands. Second to involve both Incabulous and Nerull. Incabulous because it just wouldn't be right to not have him involved. Nerull because I eventually want to have some form of confrontation with Xaene in Rauxes. I'd love to hear any suggestions or comments that could make this idea better or more GH canon.

"The greater gods all had concerns about Iuz and his rise to demi-god status. Iuz, having as is home plane Oerth, would be allowed complete influence in the world. Pelor and Rao were concerned over the balance of power shifting to evil and petitioned to send Saint Cuthbert to help contain the threat. Iuz’s imprisonment would give the powers of good time to prepare to confront the new threat. The greater gods agreed knowing the imprisonment of the gods by Zagyg would not be permanent.

Later when Iuz was freed, Saint Cuthbert petitioned the greater gods to allow him to return to Oerth to do battle with Iuz. He hoped to kill his hated foe this time. Istus, with her knowledge of the future, knew the attempt to kill Iuz would fail. She agreed to the request. Bobcobb and Beory remained neutral and said that if the other greater gods agreed then they too would allow the request. Pelor and Rao were in complete support of the request. Incabulos cared little for the matter of Iuz and was only concerned with his own plans. He would agree if his next request to meddle in the mortal world would be allowed without question. Nerull would have agreed just to see Iuz suffer, yet he hid his desires and said he would also only agree if his next request would be sanctioned. It was a great risk to allow such requests. The balance of power was the main concern and that would be strengthened by the elimination of Iuz. All agreed and Saint Cuthbert was allowed his indulgence.

Years passed before Incabulos decided to use his request. It is a time when the followers of the good gods have grown and clerics across the lands are curing ills and bringing peace and hope to the people. With his powers waning, Incabulos wanted to use his avatar to spread a deadly plague across Oerth. This would strengthen his power through the sickness and fear that would arise bringing about some small amount of balance. When Nerull learned of this plan he devised a more sinister plan. Nerull and Incabulos would join together to bring them both great power. Incabulos would unleash his deadly plague upon the land and Nerull would place the touch of death on the plague. This would make the plague incurable by all magic arcane and divine. The deadly nature of the disease would result in massive numbers of deaths that would bring power to the harvester of souls for years. Pelor and Rao were outraged by this plan, but both were forced to agree by their debt. The neutral gods agreed knowing that choices were made and now the repercussions must be felt.

To prevent an imbalance of power all the gods agreed that such a deadly plague could not exist indefinitely. It was agreed that Istus would be the arbiter of when the plague would end. It was also agreed that the plague would infect mortals with the randomness of fate and chance and that no mortal would be immune.

Istus set up a complex sequence of events that would have to occur before the plague would be stopped. Mortals would be in control of their own destiny and would be able to stop the plague by their actions. The events that needed to unfold were known only to Istus, preventing the gods from affecting the outcome. The events of the world which would lead to the elimination of the Red Plague are known as 'The Fate of Istus.'"

And naturally the campaign will involve the party being set on this path to stop the plague or die trying.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:14 am  

Sounds good to me, Mavatok — and welcome to CF! Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:23 am  

If you're running 3rd edition, this may help... I got frustrated with the "all or nothing" nature of certain spells in the repertoire.

Remove Disease - This spell no longer automatically remove all diseases from the subject. The caster must make a Caster Level Check (d20 + caster's level, maximum caster level 10) against the save DC of the disease. Success results in the disease being removed or cured. Diseases with save DCs higher than 30 cannot be removed by this spell, but would require Greater Remove Disease.

In the case of multiple diseases, Remove Disease will only remove one disease per casting. Starting at the highest save DC, make a caster level check against each disease, until one succeeds. (Note: this is identical to the procedure used by the area effect version of Dispel Magic.)

Greater Remove Disease (6th level spell) - Identical to Remove Disease, except that the maximum caster level bonus is 20, it can remove multiple diseases with one casting, and it can remove diseases with save DCs of up to 40. Note: The caster must still make independent Caster Level Checks against each disease.

Notes: Heal acts as a Cure Disease if cast on a diseased person. It will not act as a Greater Remove Disease spell, although it may cure multiple diseases (none with a save DC higher than 30). Save DCs greater than 40 require a Miracle to cure (no caster level check necessary).

Telas
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:32 am  

Telas,

I like what you have done; I had intended to come up with something very similar. Have you done anything for poison?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 pm  

No, but there's no reason it can't be applied there equally; good idea. The mechanic is borrowed directly from Dispel Magic, and the DC is already established.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: