JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Churchs of Pelor
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Churchs of Pelor
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:26 am  
    Churchs of Pelor

Does anyone has a lift of all the major church/Cathedral of Pelor through the Flaneesse ?

thanks
    GreySage

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:38 pm  

Looking through Ivid the Undying, From the Ashes, The Marklands, and Iuz the Evil, there are or were temples to Pelor in the following locations:

Critwall (Ruins)
    Rel Deven (unofficial)
    Appolled (Ruins)
    Chendl
    Rel Mord
    Willip
    Greyhawk

I'm sure there are more; these are just the only official ones I can find right now.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:17 pm  

This is of debatable canon status, but there is a temple to Pelor on the Wild Coast in Andy Miller's "The Setting Sun" (DUNGEON® #73).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:29 pm  

This is probably completely un-canon, but it's something I came up with for my own campaign. You're free to use, if you like. Parts are based on the LGG.

The Hierarchy of the Church of Pelor

Archprelate – Head of the Church of Pelor, located in Niole Dra. When the time comes to select a new Archprelate, Patriarchs, select them.

Patriarch – Each region of Greyhawk has a Patriarch. There are 19 regions (Yecha, Eru-Tovar, Vlekstaad, Krakenheim, Lopolla, Mitrik, Verbobonc, Greyhawk, Rel Mord, Eastfair, Sterich, Ulek, Niole Dra, Kalstrand, Rel Astra, Rauxes, Port Toli, Naerie, Sulward). Patriarchs are appointed by the Archprelate, and gather twice a year in Niole Dra.

Archbishop – Each large city in each region has an Archbishop. Archbishops are appointed by the Patriarch of each region. Archbishops gather to their region’s chief city twice a year.

Primate – A Primate serves under the Archbishop, as a sort of ‘chief’ bishop, a leader of the other bishops. Primates are appointed by the Archbishop of their city and the Patriarch of the region. They also serve as bishops.

Bishop / Abbot – Bishops preside over small cities, large cities, and metropoli (DMG 137). They are appointed by the Archbishop and Patriarch of their city/region. A bishop can also be appointed to the position of Primate. Bishops are responsible for their churches/cathedrals, and for the oversight of other clergy. Abbots are of the same ecclesiastical rank as bishops, but oversee abbeys and monasteries.

Canon – Canons often oversee smaller churches in a bishop’s city. They also oversee churches in large and small towns (DMG 137). Canons are selected by bishops and have to be approved by a city’s primate.

Priest – Priests serve under canons and bishops/abbots. They don’t have the responsibility of a building to look after, and do much of the day-to-day work, along with performing some services. They are of the same ecclesiastical rank as vicars, and are appointed by bishops.

Vicar – Vicars oversee village and thorp churches or shrines. They are often the only member of the clergy at their church. They are of the same ecclesiastical rank as priests, and are appointed by bishops.

Acolyte – An acolyte is the lowest rank of clergy, and serves at the appointment of any of the higher ranking clergy. Much of the paperwork and chores are performed by acolytes.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:50 pm  

Impressive but in Polythesistic GH not every region let alone every nation or citiy has a temple to the same deity. Deities in GH tend to be more localised into geographic strong points where the idealogy is accepted. I don't see any being organised as one cohesive faith. Given Pelor in particular I can see several regions, cities mentioned where any "church" is debatable and some downright impossible.

The only organisation that has a pan-Oerth view are the druids and they are extermely low key and thin on the ground within large parts of the Flanaess.
    GreySage

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:32 pm  

Here's a list of nations, according to the LGG, where Pelor is worshiped:

Bright Lands
    Dyvers
    Ekbir
    Geoff
    Greyhawk
    Nyrond
    Perrenland
    Rovers of the Barrens
    Sterich
    Sunndi
    Tenh
    Urnst County
    Urnst Duchy

I assume Almor would have been a major center of Pelor worship before the wars (and probably still is, as part of Nyrond).

There might be an ecclesiastical hierarchy that stretches across many nations, but it does seem unlikely that worshipers of Pelor (Al'Asran) in Ekbir share communion with those in the Duchy of Urnst or the Barrens, to name two examples. Those in Geoff and Sterich might well acknowledge an archprelate in Niole Dra (though Keoland itself is not a center of Pelor worship), and it's possible that Pelorites in the Urnsts share communion with those in Nyrond. How far this extends is up to you. The recent Dragon article on Pelor suggested there were several schisms and heresies within the faith, however.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:28 pm  

My image of Pelor is that he is one of the few deities that can be found to be commonly worshipped across the Flanaess. I never thought of the church as putting that much importance on hierarchy or large cathedrals and or churches. The priesthood always struck me as being quite humble and more geared towarded helping those in need then trying to impress the general populous with grandeous buildings and places of worship. I envision every major town and city (in the good/civilized nations) as having a permanent place of worship. Perhaps quite large stone buildings in regions where his worship is more popular. Most priests would stay more or less in one local tending to the people, though few would travel, seeking to find those in need of help or to bring light and goodness to areas of evil and darkness (ie adventurers). Priests would be open and friendly to each other, but not much importance put onto each others rank/level or whatever, as they are all seeking the same goals.
    Novice

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:18 pm  

Per Dungeon 117 - There is a cathederal of Pelor in Istivin.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:35 pm  

There is a write up about Pelor and his priesthood in both Dragon magazine (#346 (i think)) and Oerth Journal #16. Just skimming through them, they seem to take different directions and on some aspects totally contradict each other. A more indepth look might give the locations of major churches...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: