Canonfire :: View topic - 333 gems of Tharizdun
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    333 gems of Tharizdun
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:26 pm  
    333 gems of Tharizdun

In the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun it was mentionned that clerics
    of Tharizdun pilfer the hoard of beautiful gems sacrificed
    to him by earlier servants -- 333 gems of utmost value, ranging in worth from 5,000 to 50,000 gold pieces each.

Has anyone every created a list of all the gems ?

In another document (I forgot which one) it was mentionned that a cleric of Tharizdun needs to be in close proximity to a temple or a deeply significant object to be able to cast divine spells.

As my PC main opponents are clerics of Tharizdun, I have been thinking that their Unholy symbol would be created from the gems mentionned above. As the spell is more high level, clerics would more valuable gems as part of the symbol.

To be able to cast 1st level spells: 5,000 GP
    To be able to cast 2nd level spells: 10,000 GP
    etc....

This may rise an ethical dilema with the PC. Do they keep the valuable unholy gems (or sell it for GP) or destroy it ?

What do you think ?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:38 pm  

1e/2e limited spell acquisition to 1st and 2nd level spells only, or ‘devotional magic" as it was called if I am remembering correctly. This limitation was also imposed on clerics who cannot fully contact their deity for whatever reason, usually due to having traveled to a plane where their deity has little or no power.

Currently I use this restriction for clerics of Tharizdun (and other imprisoned gods like Vatun and Zuoken) in my 3.5e campaign. I also allow such clerics full spell acquisition if they are in a consecrated temple of Tharizdun, and it can't be some piddling room with a simple consecrated altar. The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun is one such temple that allows for spells to be fully acquired. I use that as an example of what a temple must be in order to grant this full spell access. A decently sized edifice of evil power is required.

Other than being in a powerful location dedicated to Tharizdun, I also allow a cleric who is in possession of a relic dedicated to Tharizdun to fully acquire spells regardless of where they are. The 333 gems would not be considered relics. By relics I do not necessarily mean items that could only be created by a deity either, but certainly they would need to be created by a powerful devotee of Tharizdun. Some of these relics could be created by non-Epic characters even, though I’d still set the minimum level at 14th to make something like this. One of these relics is in the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. One is the book “Lament for Lost Tharizdun”. I also added another to the adventure and put it in the hands of an ancient lich priest who appeared as soon as anyone of good alignment entered the lower temple. This relic is called “The Spiral Staff” and appears as a glossy black twisted crook staff, the crook of which winds into a curlicue spiral shape. The staff has various powers of course, but its most important function is that of being a conduit between the bearer and Tharizdun which allows full spell acquisition to a priest who bears it. The 16th level cleric lich was armed and dangerous to be sure.

The adventure says that the 333 Gems of Tharizdun are not worth that much money actually, with only 2-8 of them being worth 5,000 gp or better. These bigger gems could be made into minor relics, and that wouldn’t be too bad as there are so few of them to go around. You might also allow the special ritual that involved using the robes, horn, censers, etc, of Tharizdun to tap into a Black Cyst which also might allow full spell acquisition. This would make full spell acquisition possible, but still make things difficult as multiple sets of the regalia need to be enchanted in the first place.

Duicarthan has an almost unnatural interest in all things Tharizdun (I blame the bad influence of all that heavy metal music), so perhaps he will post some lore on Thariadun here too. It is even rumored that Duicarthan has on occasion cast 3rd and higher level spells granted by his Dark Lord Tharizdun! If this isn't proof that he has some sort of item imbued with the Dark Lord's blessing then I don't know what is!!! Shocked

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 am; edited 3 times in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:02 pm  

The Big T is my baddie, too. It's not canon, but here's how I do it.

There are shrines, temples and major temples of Tharizdun. Shrines can be anywhere (but usually aren't), temples are very rare, and the Black Cyst is an example of a major temple.

Clerics of Tharizdun can cast 0 level spells at any time. These are restricted only by their spell descriptions (focus, components, etc).

1-3 level spells require an unholy symbol (5,000 GP to create; radiates moderate evil and magic) that has been consecrated in a temple of Tharizdun, or being in the area of at least a shrine of Tharizdun.

4-6 level spells require a more powerful unholy symbol (50,000 GP to create; radiates strong evil and magic) that has been consecrated in a major temple, or being in the area of at least a temple.

7-9 level spells require a relic (priceless - epic level or god-created; radiates overpowering evil and magic), or being in the area of a major temple of Tharizdun.

Yes, this makes for a good progression - "He had this unholy symbol. Perhaps we can find out where it was made?"

Telas
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:16 am  

The 333 hebephrenic sacramental antibenedictions

The 333 gems sacrificed to the Big T were not just dumped in one pile. Rather, each one was given with a special prayer, which are only now being discovered …

1. Let Celene shine Ultra Violet!

2. Ashes to Ashes we all fall down! Yeah!

3. May there be a worm in every apple!

4. HA! HA! Our hoods are askew!

5. May we always misspell Oerth!

6. Let the name Thrommel forever be associated with overly snug smallclothes.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: