JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who are the Tdon
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who are the Tdon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:45 am  
    Who are the Tdon

Is there anywhere where the house of Tdon (from Aeirdi) is described further ?
    GreySage

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:34 pm  

There's no indication that Tdon is a house. It could be a priestly order, a soverign nation, or a geographical feature (for example, a mountain). It could be a minor clan or a village. It could be a castle or temple. It could be the name of a demiplane for all we know.

For what it's worth, I've assumed it was the name of the priestly order Arnd belonged to.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:34 pm  

Based on Rasgon's other thread on alternate Oerths/Earths: Tdon could make a perfect alternate Oerth location for a sect of Heironeous where the Invulnerable Coat finds its way to Oerth by fate or design.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:50 am  

"Tdon" in "Aarnd of Tdon" could either refer to him being from a place(city or land most likely) called Tdon, or could refer to him as being a worshipper of Tdon(a god). The latter seems an interesting and archaic way of denoting one's divine allegiance, so I kind of like this option too.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:54 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    "Tdon" in "Aarnd of Tdon" could either refer to him being from a place(city or land most likely) called Tdon, or could refer to him as being a worshipper of Tdon(a god). The latter seems an interesting and archaic way of denoting one's divine allegiance, so I kind of like this option too.

Well, thinking "Agath of Thrunch" here, I'd go with the former approach and look for a now-lost settlement called Tdon.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:34 am  

This rings a bell, but I cannot place it. Where is the Tdon reference originally?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:10 pm  

Anced_Math wrote:
    This rings a bell, but I cannot place it. Where is the Tdon reference originally?

AD&D® DMG, p. 158, under the entry for the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd:
    Quote:
    Invulnerable Coat of Arnd: The High Priest Arnd of Tdon is said to have been the original possessor of this relic. The Coat is a bright and shimmering shirt of fine and almost weightless chain links. It covers the upper arms, torso, and groin of any human-shaped wearer of from 3' to 8' height, and makes the wearer totally invulnerable to physical attacks with respect to covered areas and gives AC 5 protection to all other areas. In addition, the Coat adds +5 to saving throws as if it were +5 magic armor, protects its wearer from fire as if it were a ring of fire resistance, and acid, cold, and electrical attacks have no effect upon the wearer. Additionally, the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd has the following powers/effects:

3 x I: __________, __________, __________
    2 x II: __________, __________
    2 x III: __________, __________
    1 x IV: __________
    1 x V: __________
    1 x VI: __________
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:21 pm  

"Arnd of Tdon Invulnerable Coat of Arnd, DMG1 p. Arnd of Tdon = Don Arndt Don Arndt = ? "

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_anagrams.html
    Gygax's Anagrams, Puns, and Homages in the World of Greyhawk
    CF Admin

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:26 pm  

Don Arndt was one of the early rpg adopter folks, but I haven't dug up more specifics than that. I'll have to ping Rob the next time we chat, see who he was....

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Don Arndt was one of the early rpg adopter folks, but I haven't dug up more specifics than that. I'll have to ping Rob the next time we chat, see who he was....

I found the following amusing post by EGG on ENWorld when someone asked him to reminisce about Paladin players in his games.

"That played by Don Arndt was the most cautious one (Paladin) I have ever experienced or heard of. His behavior was so remarkable that the Artifict, "Invulnerable coat of Arn" was created to jape at such play."

Smile
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:48 am  

Well, it is clear that Tdon was not created to complete a vision of GH or anyplace else for that matter.

Maybe it would be a good postfest, to come up with the best story of Arnd and Tdon.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:06 am  

Heh. Very little of the earliest material was created to "fulfill a vision of GH". IIRC, alot of the artifacts in the 1e DMG had nothing to do with Gygax' campaign. They were made up by other folks out of thin air.
    GreySage

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 am  

My take on the Tdon is in this article.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 am  

Tdon=T'don="To don" the Invulnerable coat Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 pm  

Thread necromancy!

I just noticed this from p. 72 of Iuz the Evil -

"They (The Declaimers of Tenh) have disappeared as completely as the dervish High priests of Tdon, ten centuries before them."
    Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:01 am  

Nice find! Dervish then would mean they are roving priests and aren't tied to a town. Since this is Migration era they could be dervish because of this, and they could just be an order of priests who traveled along the Migration trails to tend to/defend the people, maybe something like crusading Hospitalers.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:06 pm  

Actually within the research into the balunish west; my interpretation.

Dervish is the bakluni term for "Holy Warrior" which I perceive as the bakluni term for Paladin and perhaps warrior priest. However following the destruction of the Bakluni Padishah which created several rival successor states and after the subsequent schism within the faith of Al'Akbar the terminolgy was altered.

Those areas under the True Faith (Ket and Northern Tusmit) use the term Elder Somb for Holy Warrior. While areas under the Exalted Faith (Ekbir, Zeif and Southern Tusmit) use the term Elder Saphi for Holy Warrior.

The Paynim tribes continue to use the ancient pre-schism term Dervish as noted by the Dervishes of Karnak.

Last edited by Crag on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:46 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Nice find!

Thanks, although it was right there in the Encylopedia Greyhawkia for all to see. Apparently, all us previous posters to this thread are idiots, except for Rasgon, who put it in the GH wiki article about this time 2 years ago.

Quote:
    Dervish then would mean they are roving priests and aren't tied to a town. Since this is Migration era they could be dervish because of this, and they could just be an order of priests who traveled along the Migration trails to tend to/defend the people, maybe something like crusading Hospitalers.

Interesting that, if you want to be strict about the 10 centuries thing, the High Priests of Tdon disappeared about the same time as the Twin Cataclysms went down. Maybe they did something to piss off the assembled Oeridian hetmen and were outlawed? They could have represented a different Heironean faction than what came to represent that god in the mainstream and died out? Maybe they just refused to continue the migration east? Who knows, maybe the last remnant of the High Priests of Tdon could be hiding out in the mountains and hills of Ull?
    Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Who knows, maybe the last remnant of the High Priests of Tdon could be hiding out in the mountains and hills of Ull?
    Ho ho! Now that would be the last place anyone would expect. I like it! :D
    Master Greytalker

Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:44 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:

I just noticed this from p. 72 of Iuz the Evil -

"They (The Declaimers of Tenh) have disappeared as completely as the dervish High priests of Tdon, ten centuries before them."

I am confused Confused ; why would an oerdian order use - dervish - as it is bakluni terminology Question
    Master Greytalker

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:38 pm  

Because the writers weren't paying attention, maybe? Not that such a thing has ever happened...
    GreySage

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 pm  

Well, the Oeridians were living among the Baklunish at the time, or at least near their territories, in Ull. We can expect a certain amount of linguistic influence.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 pm  

We also can't assume they meant dervish in the traditional sense, although it does show up as that in a couple of GH sources. In the 1e MM dervishes are just "highly religious nomads... encountered only in desert or steppes/plains areas." The Oeridians of the time were nomads living in an area of plains about twice the size of Hungary.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: