JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New Canonfire Postfest Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New Canonfire Postfest Thread
    Sage of Canonfire

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:41 pm  
    New Canonfire Postfest Thread

Okay, alot of you already know what I'm talking about. But after resting the concept for a while, its time to bring it back.

Please post your ideas/questions here and we'll announce a new one next week.

On the table: A favorite magical item/artifact postfest. Write up an item that's never been detailed before or one of your invention that has roots in the World of Greyhawk. Perhaps 250-500 words. Any rulesystem.
    CF Admin

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:33 pm  

Sounds fun, Gary, maybe I'll remember to participate this time :D

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 pm  

I vote for item. Specifically a location/region specific item. Or perhaps a person related item?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:16 pm  

Cool... I have been looking forward to this.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 pm  

Okay, here goes. Please forgive any n00b mistake I may make. :)
    --
    The Cube of Dur Ahnce
    The Cube appears in several minstrel’s tales coming from the Blackmoors. The unusual tales, sung and played in an almost maudlin funerary tone, tell of Dur Ahnce, a minor mage of unremarkable talents. According to the tales, Ahnce ventured into the Howling Hills, which were once known as the Gelid Haunts. The Gelid Haunts housed creatures of many ilks, but none quite so ruthless and pitiless as Ressil the Storm. Precisely who or what Ressil was has been lost to time, but the minstrel tales speak of a being “as tall as the winter-kissed oaks and colder than the deepest Black Ice.”

Ressil’s talents were a complete opposite of Dur Ahnce – where Ahnce struggled to do the simplest cantrip, Ressil could, and did, warp and twist the land into a blasted, icy wasteland. When the rivers began to freeze over in the middle of summer, that is when Dur Ahnce ventured into the Gelid Haunts with nothing more than the clothing on his back and a small cube of polished glass.

The precise details of what happened in the Haunts isn’t known – what is known is that the ice suddenly vanished, and the mephits that had been plaguing the nearby hamlets and villages vanished in the blink of an eye. Where there had been cold glens of inhospitable trees, lush greenery suddenly sprung up, once again summer. Dur Ahnce was apparently successful, but this unremarkable mage, “the Dull” as he was called by his peers, walked out of the Gelid Haunts, alive and in one piece. The locals hailed him as a hero, but Ahnce shunned their adulation. When Ahnce left the region of the Haunts, he headed north, never to be seen again.

The lands of the Haunts gained a new name when Ahnce left – the Howling Hills. The Hills always sound as if someone is screaming in frustration or fury. The winters are always a bit colder, a bit sharper, and a bit harsher in the Hills. The locals say that Ressil's spirit still haunts the place, screaming in rage over his defeat by Dur Ahnce.

Over tankards of beer, sages and bards alike theorize that the Cube was a device that imprisons or entraps a living creature. Ahnce was not called “the Dull” after that day, so the sages postulate that the Cube grants its holder the abilities of whatever creature is unfortunate to be trapped within. Where the Cube came from, or if Dur Ahnce was indeed the one who made it, is a subject that gets argued into the wee hours of the morning in many a tavern in the Blackmoor region.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:39 am  

Lilith that was a perfect item for Postfest. I also like that your backstory is set on the periphery of the Flanaess, good choice. While I like your eagerness to start, I think GLH was only using this initial thread to discuss ideas for the topic to be announced. The upside is this may push it to magic items for sure now, so hang onto that Cube!
    Master Greytalker

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:51 am  

Hey Lillith,

First, I really enjoyed your story, and think the artifact is intriguing. I would like some stats on this object. However, I think we are to post to a "articles," section that they have not yet set up.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:32 pm  

Ah, this was the "n00b" thing I was talking about - I wasn't quite sure if the submissions were to be posted to the thread, or if there was some "other" method. :)
    Novice

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:53 pm  

I was wondering the same thing.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:23 pm  

If I recall correctly, finalized submissions should be emailed to an address expressly set up for that purpose, which I'm sure Gary will announce in due time. So hang onto your submissions folks, although I admire Lilith's talent and zeal. Happy
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:22 am  

For those who have never participated in a Postfest before, go to the "Submit Article" link at the top left of the page. Under the submission topic put "Postfest", and in the body of the submission put the title of the article and the article itself. That is it! Simple as can be! Happy

It has been a while since the last Postfest, but I'm pretty sure I got all the details on the submission method right. If anything else comes to mind then the above instructions will be amended.

It looks like most people have decided that the topic shall be magical items/artifacts. Like Gary said, all rules systems are welcome, but you are not required to post any rules at all if you do not wish to.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:24 am  

Items sound great. I'm in for at least 2.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 am  

Items sound great. I'm in for at least 2.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:17 pm  

Will they be the same one twice, Wolfsire? Wink

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ==========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:10 am  

Maldin wrote:
    Will they be the same one twice, Wolfsire? Wink

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ==========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Maybe, maybe. Embarassed Wink
    Novice

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:17 pm  

I'm certainly ready. Will the instructions and timeline be posted here? I've got a file just burning a hole in my folder.

Oh. And, can we do more than one?
    Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:21 pm  

From experience I can say that multiple submissions are allowed. My advice would be not to inundate the postfest with submissions though. Just choose your best few that way people remember your contribution better.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:54 am  

I'd recommend one entry per person, as everyone from the community only votes once. So, if you have two entries the vote for something you have done can be split, in which case you will likely not win. Keep it to one entry and make it the best entry that you can.

There is no actual prize for winning a Postfest, other than bragging rights (for a couple of weeks at least). It's all about fun and contributing something distinctly your own. When everything is ready to go Gary (that would be Psmedger/GLH/Legate) will post an announcement (and instructions) on the front page most likely, as this is what had been done in the past.

The topic need not be just one item either. A small collection of related items would work for the article too. This would be things like the Orbs of Dragonkind, The Blades of Corrusk, the Regalia of Evil, and similarly related items.

I'm just wondering whether it will be mortellen or ephealy who jumps the gun and does those Baklunish imprisonment items that I annoyingly cannot recall the name of (though I’m sure they know of what I speak). The starter gun has been fired!!! Happy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    I'd recommend one entry per person, as everyone from the community only votes once.

I though the idea of voting was killed. If it comes back, I would love the opportunity to cast my vote to update mortellan’s tagline. He needs one to go with his new avatar maybe "Khakhan of Postfests.” Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:55 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    I'm just wondering whether it will be mortellen or ephealy who jumps the gun and does those Baklunish imprisonment items that I annoyingly cannot recall the name of (though I’m sure they know of what I speak). The starter gun has been fired!!!

It's all you, brother. I'm thinking of an original creation this time around.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:11 pm  

Sure, would love to contribute something.

--Ghul
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:27 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    For those who have never participated in a Postfest before, go to the "Submit Article" link at the top left of the page. Under the submission topic put "Postfest", and in the body of the submission put the title of the article and the article itself. That is it! Simple as can be! Happy

Am I blind in not seeing Postfest under the Topic dropdown or should we be putting "Postfest" in the title.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:45 am  

The rule has been to put "Postfest" in the title. But the directions have not been given yet and they are usually complete.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:26 pm  

I'm in, and will limit myself to a single item (or group of items).

When are we doing this thing? I'd like to have my post ready to roll.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 pm  

Hmmm Khakhan of Postfests, that has a nice ring to it.

And as for the genie 'Binders' which Cebrion surely alludes to, I don't think the Uli have one of those. I'll surely make something more mundane...OTOH....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 pm  

So...what's the status on this?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:55 pm  
    Re: New Canonfire Postfest Thread

PSmedger wrote:
    ...and we'll announce a new one next week.

Chomping at the bit and may have to wait another half week, if ... if, I say, it is on time! Oh the agony! Wink

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:42 am  

Hopefully Gary's ADD will turn him from one of the hundreds of distractions he has back TO the topic of Postfest and things will get underway.

Just nobody shine a flashlight on the wall or anything, or Gary will suddenly be chasing that moving bright spot instead.

Happy

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:39 pm  

new shiny buttons, must play....
    bells and whistles too much to bear!
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:22 pm  

*** Bump ***

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:56 pm  

Somebody turn off the flashlight already! The fun has surely run its course.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:56 pm  

Alright, alright, its a go!

See the new thread.
    Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:03 am  

Am I blind? What new thread?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:13 pm  

You are not blind.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: