WotC's Digital Initiative Up

The first glimmerings of WotC's digital initiative is up here:
    http://www.gleemax.com

Enjoy,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:38 am  

I am not sure if that's really what WotC is after. Didn't they hint very strongly that they wanted to continue their famed DI with "Dungeon" and "Dragon" as brand names? - Now, I must confess that this gleemax brain-in-a-jar irritates me a bit... Smile

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:43 am  

Oh, and I see that Gleemax is nothing entirely new, but that the message boards are simply part of the WotC main fora. The change will maybe not be so great, then...

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:14 am  

So, presumedly this GLEEMAX thing will almost be just like coming to Canonfire! except that I'll have to pay for it and put up with content from all of the other games/campaign worlds that I happen not to give a rat's @$$ about? Confused

LOTS of community involvement is the only thing that will make this fly, and all of the fan sites are years ahead of the GLEEMAX curve. Seems like GLEEMAX is the new kid on crutches entering their first 1,000 yard hurdles race. Good luck to them though. It's an ambitious project.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:17 am  

Gleemax. Weak. Yes, apparently Gleemax is some running joke among MTG players. Wow, that sure makes me want to run and join up. I am leery of this whole thing now and I suspect the entire GH community(not just CF) will be quite detached from this new effort of Wizard's. People at the ENworld boards are similarly vexed over this new portal thinking it's redundant to that site.

*checks calendar to make sure it's not April 1st*
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am  

Ok, I just poked in to Gleemax and saw nothing abount D&D, or more particularly AD&D and GH, just a bunch of green, brain and somthing about an alien invading earth (no not even Gamaworld). Why would I ever want to go there again?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:41 am  

We've identified the Egg of Coot!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 am  

Note of clarification - Gleemax is _NOT_ the Digital Initiative. Please see the following link - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/10687.html

The pertinent language is, in truncated form, -

"Will the online initiatives that are replacing the print magazines be part of Gleemax?

Not directly. We have a lot of really good ideas that I'm aware of, but we're not ready to talk about them yet. I can clarify a little bit about the relationship between Gleemax and D&D and Magic. In 6 months, 12 months, people will look at WotC as having three big brands, we've got Magic, D&D, and we've got Gleemax. Gleemax is its own separate brand; it's a product created by Wizards of the Coast."

Randy Buehler, VP of Digital Games at Wotc goes on to say that the idea is to drive D&D Digital Initiative subscribers to Gleemax and drive Gleemax users to the D&D Digital Initiative. The two are supposed to be compatable and cross-functional but ultimately individual and seperate.

Gleemax is MySpace for gamers of all games brought to you by your friends at Wotc with a decidedly MtG edge. The D&D Digital Initiative is highly D&D specific.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:05 am  

GVDammerung wrote:

Gleemax is MySpace for gamers of all games brought to you by your friends at Wotc with a decidedly MtG edge. The D&D Digital Initiative is highly D&D specific.

They could have explained that a whole heck of a lot better then. I took it as a late and poorly executed April Fool's joke.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:55 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    We've identified the Egg of Coot!

Laughing

That was good.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:59 am  

GVDammerung wrote:

I read that as "Gleemax and the D&DDI are our feeble attempts to usurp ENWorld's userbase." Not likely. WotC is really too little too late in trying to build a super fan site.

Not too worried about it though, I doubt it will have much effect on content heavy, topic focused fan sites such as CF.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: