Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Iuz's vice-roys?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Iuz's vice-roys?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:24 am  
    Iuz's vice-roys?

Who ruled the lands of Iuz while he was imprisoned beneath Castle Geyhawk? Would it be fair to say it was, among others, Patch and Ormuz? (BTW, Anyone have/guess their stats?). I don't have my copy of "Iuz the Evil" handy.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:35 am  

I know nothing about Ormuz, but Patch had to have been 18th level or better because in ItE Halga and Althea are around that level and they both are conspiring to be top cleric since Patch's demise.

It's likely Iuz's priesthood kept control in his absence, or maybe there was a state of anarchy that made things even worse without Iuz than with him, much like Iraq without Saddam there to tyrranize the populace.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:22 pm  

ItE is set in CY 585 (I think), or 15 years after Iuz's release in CY 570.

Althea is listed as 37 years old and Halga as 35. Thus, at the time of Iuz's release they were 22 and 20, respectively, and probably not High Priestesses.

At the time of Iuz's capture (c. CY 505), of course, they had not been born, nor had Kermin (age 60 in CY 585). In fact, the only people who might have known Iuz before his imprisonment are Maskaleyne (vampire, age 325) and Kaquizel (drow).

I would expect that all or most of the humans listed in ItE were not in control of Iuz's lands during his capture, as they were too young. Kermin is the excpetion but he is a mage and not likely to have been in Iuz's service during his imprisonment. Most of Iuz's important priests and priestesses were likely assembled and developed in the years afer his release.

I would say that no one was in control during Iuz's absence, just a bunch of humanoids fighting each other and bandit lords around Dorakaa, while a few renegade priests and shamans preached about his return to the derrision of others.

It was this power vacuum that allowed the establishment of the Horned Society in (IIRC) CY 513. Before Iuz's capture the land of the Hierarchs had been part of his lands, and its fall to a bunch of Nerull cultists backed by a few tribes of hobgoblins shows that no one of consequence was ruling in the name of the Old One.

Kirt
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:36 pm  

Good post, I hadn't thought about the math. Makes sense. And I think Kermin would be a fairly recent addition to the Boneheart for some reason.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:26 am  

Hi,

Now that the Boneheart is mentioned, I have a question about it. Did the Boneheart existed before Iuz was imprisoned, or it was created after his release?

Saludos,
    Gabriel

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:31 pm  

carlanco wrote:

Now that the Boneheart is mentioned, I have a question about it. Did the Boneheart existed before Iuz was imprisoned, or it was created after his release?

From everything I've read, when Iuz created the Boneheart is never mentioned. However, it has always appeared to me that the listed members (in Iuz the Evil and Gygax's books) are/were (in the case of those that died) the original members of the Boneheart. Going off of Kirt's post (which seems logical to me), I would say that Iuz created them post-imprisonment.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: