JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Notes from the Scarlet Brotherhood Campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Notes from the Scarlet Brotherhood Campaign
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:17 pm  
    Notes from the Scarlet Brotherhood Campaign

I was just perusing through some of my old gaming stuff and ran across these campaign notes from the beginning of my Scarlet Brotherhood campaign. I found them quite entertaining and I thought that I might as well share them so you guys can see how stupidly anal I am when it comes to my DMs homework (I even give myself instructions.) Good times. Wink

Mission #1: Mines Over Sails

Uncle Pramas:

The team is summoned (individually) by Uncle Pramas, whom is anxious to get them working, not being granted an agent team for some months to aid him in his heavy workload.

At the first meeting, Pramas seems a pleasant man, quite happy to see the new team. After some small chit-chat, he send them off with an adress explaining that their new team agent house is ready for their arrival as he tosses each team member a silver key (for the house.) He explains that through the cellar, is a passage that leads right here, to his very office, and that should they require slaves or any other accommodations throughout the city, that they need only visit the Office of Thralls, where their names are already registered as citizens of agent status. He then further instructs the team to arrive back here at his office in 2 days after supplying and he will have for them, their first assignment.

At second meeting, Pramas is strictly business and gives the team the following instructions:

1. Travel to Kro Terlep where the Harbormaster has a ship awaiting them.
    2. Higher a crew and set sail for Eldredd.
    3. Meet Agent Gixs at the market for 1st mission briefing.

Pramas supplies the team with a Purse of Pramas containing 5,000 GP. He instructs them to spend the bounty only in the name of the Brotherhood and should he catch word of any spending for personal pleasure or gain, they are spending their lives just the same.

Once the last gold is spent from the Purse of Pramas, a succor type enchantment is set off and the purse returns to Pramas, who will then know the funding situation of the team. Pramas most likely will not notify the team of this fact and should the purse return before the team does, they will have some serious explaining to do.

Note: The team’s most likely money spending route will probably be highering a crew and purchasing transportation later in the mission.

5,000 GP is A LOT to be handing out to a 1st level team. However, the money is meant to build atmosphere. 5,000 GP is nothing compared to the importance of their mission and is easily handed over by their superior in order to increase the overall odds of the team being successful in the name of the Brotherhood.

He also gives them a small cage containing 4 doves. These doves can be used at anytime from anywhere in the known Flanaess to send a message to Pramas.

Kro Terlep:

-Attaining the Boat

Once the team reaches Kro Terlep and meets with the Harbormaster, he will request they show him the “Sign of Pramas” as proof that they are the team in which the boat (which is a galleon fitted with 1 light catapult and 2 light ballistas) is reserved for. No matter what happens, the team should not gain possession of the boat without 1st speaking to Uncle Pramas.

Now, Uncle Pramas never informed them of any such sign, and this is a great oppurtunity to treat the team like a bunch of rookie agents. Spare no chance to make the team look like and feel like rookies for having missed or forgotten such a minor detail.

Once they contact Pramas by whichever means, he will inform them that next time some one asks them for a sign to stick a damn dagger in their throat. They’re late! Now just take the damnable boat and get moving!

-Attaining a Crew

Highering a crew should proove a fruitful roleplaying event. In any event, the crew they receive relates directly to the amount of gold the team is willing to pay for crewman services.

A Galleon requires a minimum crew of 20 just to leave port, with an optimal crew of 40.

A Galleon travels at roughly 4 mph with a full crew. The distance from Kro Terlep to Eldredd is roughly 50 Darlene hexes or 1,500 miles (500 leagues) depending on which route the navigator chooses. Travelling at 4 mph a distance of 1,500 miles equates to 375, or about 15 days. 2 Hexes per 24-hour period is a good general “rule of thumb.”

Take into account the 15 days, 30 days round-trip, and any additional time the crew may spend waiting for the team to return to the ship after completing their mission.

If the team highers a crew for 1GP or less per day, consider that crew as “green” in regards to the ships rating of the galleon and the crew will be unable to operate any of the ship’s weaponry. Some may not even know how to swim. Green crews generally begin with morale of 10 and are a variety of 0 and 1st level sailors.

Crews working for 1-2GP per day should be considered “seasoned” and able to operate the ship’s weaponry. Seasoned Crews generally begin with morale of 12 and are a variety of 1st and 2nd level sailors.

Crews being paid in excess of 2GP per day should be considered “veteran”, the most desireable crew the docks of Kro Terlep have to offer, complete with an already in place organization structure including a 1st mate, 2nd mate, Navigator, Boarding Party Commander, Weaponeers, and even a Cook. Veteran crews generally begin with morale of 14 and are a variety of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level sailors.

-Supplies

The team will also have to worry about feeding their crew and keeping morale up with ale, musicians and/or dancers, for example. Be sure to point this fact out and leave it to them to figure out the math and how much food/drink they will have to purchase.

If the team cuts corners here and picks up scraps or sub-quality food, make sure to have it rot about 2/3s the way through the trip to Eldredd. Then lower the crew’s morale by at least 5 points and let the team figure how they’d like to handle the situation of an unhappy (and perhaps mutinous if they are a green) crew.
    The team will also need to consider purchasing ammunition for the Ship’s weapons. Each catapult shot should cost about 5 sp and each ballista bolt should run 8 sp per.

Furthermore, extra rigging, sails, and ropes may also be a good idea to purchase at this point, as well as any repair tools that may be necessary.

Set Sail:

Each day, have the navigator plot the 2 hex course.

Consult the “High Seas Encounter Table,” as well as roleplay day to day life among the sea and stars.

Also consult the weather tables on pages 51-53 of The Adventure Begins.

When the team reaches the Sea of Gearnat, deliver message_1a (see below), which instructs them to be dropped off in the northeastern seaction of the Wolly Bay near the Abbor-Alz.

Land Ahoy:

Begin using the reverse side of the city of Greyhawk Map (TBA version) as the team travels over land to the city of Greyhawk.

It’s 180 miles from where the team gets dropped off southeat of Orz to Greyhawk. Travelling at 4 mph for 15 hours per day equates to 60 miles per day which would take 3 days to travel from Hardby to Greyhawk.

Join another party of rangers from the Gnarley traveling to the Celadon in camp

Once in Greyhawk, the team should head to the Brass Dragon Inn to hook up with Spider.

Assassination:

Spider will be bartending at the Brass Dragon Inn as Naas, the locals call him “Rainy.” When the team approaches him in reference to “the Spider,” he will gaze over them looking for signs that they are agents of the Brotherhood. At least 1 team member should show him their sign at this point. He will instruct them to stick around until the bar closes and enjoy themselves at which time he will be off work and lead them to Agent Kelson’s house in the Garden Quarter (near G4) where they will meet Agent Kelson and Rainy will reveal that he is “the Spider.”

At this time, he will brief them on their mission…

Your mission is to assassinate a high-ranking member of the Union of Merchant and Traders. He has successfully opened two topaz mines in the Cairn Hills. Topaz trade is heavily cramped by the Brotherhood’s of the Densac Gulf and Tilva Strait and he is currently heading council summits consisting of major players from local government and other organiztaions in attempts to turn their eyes towards re-opening trade with the eastern countries. He must be silenced at once!

Cariel is a middle-aged man accomplished in both wizardry and swordsmanship. He was a member of the Nyrondese Army for some years and later retired to Greyhawk where he studied at the University of Magical Arts with his cousin, a scholar whom died at humanoid hands travelling in the Shield Lands.

From Starday to Waterday Cariel is hard at work at either the Caravan Warehouse (S1) or the Merchant & Trader’s Union Hall (T4).
    He spends most of his evenings at home in the High Quarter (near H11), although some evenings he is known to be at the Silver Garter (R13), the local whorehouse.
    He usually takes his meals at the Wizard’s Hat Inn (R4) where a widowed half-elf woman owns and works the establishment. I hear the food is rather delicious although I’ve never eaten there myself.
    On Earthday nights he can always be found at the Pit (F8), gambling away his fortune on the gladiators. Beware, when he visits the rumbling Pit, he will have his Flesh Golem shoulder watcher with him.
    Then on Freedays, it seems, he musters a quick juant to the Temple of Zilchus (G12)
    Wherever you decide to off him, be sure not to do it at anytime he is in or near his places of employ, nor near the Temple of Zilchus. We don’t need the church getting involved in this and the last thing we want to do is inject fear into the other guildmembers whom work for the Merchant & Trader’s Union.
    Throwing his body to the Selintan would be most desireable, as it would give you time to leave the vicinity of Greyhawk before panic sets in when the body is found. If you must leave the body within the city walls, you’ll have to stay here at Kelson’s for a few extra days. The streets, and specially the gatehouses, will be littered with the City Watch and the city populace will be in hysteria when they hear one of their most high-ranked governing officials has been assassinated.
    I know this is your team’s first job, just be patient and wait for the right time to strike. Follow him and find a hole in his daily routines that will suit your mission. Let him work for you…You have 3 weeks from yesterday before his next council convenes. We need him dead before then.

Now, unless you have any questions I have a lady to entertain tonight…

Last edited by abysslin on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:18 pm  

This apparently is message 1a mentioned above. I must'e changed ideas somewhere bcuz this note specifically states to head for Eldreed rather than the NE Wooly Bay.
    I would impose an image of parchment behind the text in MS Word, print it out, roll it up, and either wax seal it or silver thread it. The messages from the Scarlet Brotherhood campaign were pretty cool props. Wink

You Swines!

Next time some lowly harbormaster asks you for “the sign” stick a damn dagger through his throat.

Get a crew that is serviceable and at least seasoned. The waters of the Azure are perilous so be sure they can operate your ship’s weaponry.

You’ll need food for at least a season’s-third and heavy ale helps quell the stomach sickness from your green sea legs.

Most importantly do not forget ammunition and excess supplies including rigging and sails along with the tools required for repairing them properly.

Now, you rookies are far behind schedule due to this delay and any further mishaps will not be condoned. Get on that damn ship and head for Eldredd, immediately.

For the Brotherhood!

Uncle Pramas

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: