Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hackmaster Greyhack???
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Hackmaster Greyhack???
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:39 pm  
    Hackmaster Greyhack???

This was mentioned last year as just awaiting approval to ship. There was even a shot of the cover art. Anyone know what happened to this product?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:11 pm  

I could've swore I saw that at Gencon. Then again I can't remember 90% of what I saw in the convention hall, information overload! (that's me being useless again)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:13 am  

mortellan wrote:
    I could've swore I saw that at Gencon. Then again I can't remember 90% of what I saw in the convention hall, information overload! (that's me being useless again)

ACK!

I have not been able to find any mention of it on Kenzer's site or Amazon or in any recent discussion forums I've looked at.

Does anybody have this? Or know what the current state of affairs is?

Thanks!

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:16 am  

This is very strange, I can't seem to find this on Kenzer's site, but I found this on another site.

HackMaster: Greyhack

Kenzer & Company

Availability: Sold Out
    (This item is currently unavailable )

Suggested: $27.99
    Our Price: $22.40
    You Save: $5.59 (20% off)

DESCRIPTION:

Once a proud land on a distant sphere, the continent of Oerik now lies in shattered ruins, magically ripped from Oerth's embrace and transported to a remote corner of the planet Aldrazar! Now, famine, plague, and pestilence grip this ruined land, while sinister creatures exploit its people and lend power to wicked souls in return for worship. With beautiful full-color maps, details on nations, cultures, monsters, deities, and challenges for characters of all levels, this comprehensive sourcebook contains everything you need to get started in a Greyhack campaign!

Product Code: KEN 2128

EDIT
    Actually, a little more digging makes it look like this never got past the pre-order stage. There is mention of Aldrazar, which appears to be a planet to which Oerik was 'ripped to'. There are a few Aldrazar links on the Kenzer site, but nothing for Greyhack. I wonder if this Aldrazar still contains pieces of Oerik, or if there was some sort of IP snafu?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 pm  

It's only a rumor, and I can't remember where I heard it, but I've been told they stopped production on this one because - (gasp of astonishment!) - it didn't sell well. Another rumor I heard around the LGS was that it never got produced in the first place.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:23 pm  

MichaelSandar wrote:
    This is very strange, I can't seem to find this on Kenzer's site, but I found this on another site.

Kenzer & Company
    Availability: Sold Out
    (This item is currently unavailable )
    Suggested: $27.99
    Our Price: $22.40
    You Save: $5.59 (20% off)
    DESCRIPTION:
    Once a proud land on a distant sphere, the continent of Oerik now lies in shattered ruins, magically ripped from Oerth's embrace and transported to a remote corner of the planet Aldrazar! Now, famine, plague, and pestilence grip this ruined land, while sinister creatures exploit its people and lend power to wicked souls in return for worship. With beautiful full-color maps, details on nations, cultures, monsters, deities, and challenges for characters of all levels, this comprehensive sourcebook contains everything you need to get started in a Greyhack campaign!
    Product Code: KEN 2128
    EDIT
    Actually, a little more digging makes it look like this never got past the pre-order stage. There is mention of Aldrazar, which appears to be a planet to which Oerik was 'ripped to'. There are a few Aldrazar links on the Kenzer site, but nothing for Greyhack. I wonder if this Aldrazar still contains pieces of Oerik, or if there was some sort of IP snafu?

Thanks! This is more info than I was able to uncover.

I know that Aldrazar is the official name for KODT's "Garweeze World" ne Oerth or Greyhawk. GW used to be PDF only but I understand it is now also available as print on demand. Your question though is the million dollar question - "I wonder if this Aldrazar still contains pieces of Oerik?"
    I'd buy it if it did.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 pm  

A thread I found at Paizo's site.
    http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizo/websiteFeedback/hackMasterGreyhack

4/11/06
    A friend of mine pointed out that the pre-order option is available for this product in the Paizo store. Is this product really being published now? I thought it had been canceled.
    I hope it is going to be published... even if it is a slight spoof Greyhawk book.

4/12/06
    Our distributor still lists it as a preorder product with no release date, but we'll double-check the status with them.
    Update: Kenzer says "It may be out sometime this year."

5/28/07
    Has this product been canceled? Just wondering..... waited over a year and haven't seen anything....

5/29/07
    Looks like it has. It was finally removed from our distributor's database earlier this month.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:01 pm  

And I just found this on the Kenzer boards, dated December 2006.

Posted by Jolly Blackburn himself:
    The truth is we danced hoops around WOTC and made a lot of money off of them.
    They thought when we got the license we were going to do a silly little one-shot (unplayable) spoof and be done with it.
    When we cranked out several dozen books it sort of took them by surprise.
    Especially when they saw the scope of the PHB, GMG and the HOBs.
    When it won Game of the Year I'm sure it pissed them off to no end.
    I think dragging their feet later on the approval process was just their way of stemming the tide.
    But it's all good. We found an audience and HackMaster can survive without 'hacked' AD&D material.
    But that's a subject for another time.
    I'm not bitter at WOTC. I just see it as part of the game. We try to do Greyhack -- they block it.
    I'd love for Greyhack to see the light of day.
    NOTE: I should add I'm not sure of Greyhack's fate at this point. All I know is the last round of approval they changed the rules on the process. We changed what they told us to do and then disapproved it AGAIN for new reasons. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that side of things. I think Mark is pulling his hair out... no wait...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:51 am  

Sure is a shame that WotC can't play nice with anyone anymore. I guess they are gonna let the Sovereign Press people finish out this years Dragonlance products and then take back that license also.

I guess all we can hope for is the failure of WotC and the D&D product line being sold just like when WotC bought it from TSR. Those were some dark years in the switch but right now our Greyhawk is suffering from WotC control. Maybe Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk does well enough to open their eyes and get some new Greyhawk product rolling.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:30 pm  

Thanks for the information.

Sigh.

I had hoped to see Greyhack. Sad

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:12 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Thanks for the information.

Sigh.

I had hoped to see Greyhack. Sad

I had looked forward to this as well. Take it for what it's worth (someone's post who claims to have inside info) at Dragonsfoot

Quote:
    I know a lot of people felt that Kenzerco was using the situation with WotC as a scapegoat for not producing new product but it was real and it did keep product from being produced. I may be skirting NDA but Greyhack was at the later stages of layout and completion but WotC interference and stupid deliberate blocking techniques killed that project. I know. I saw the file. I was an editor/proofreader and had spent a lot of time on it. Others: far more time spent then I. Of course with the splintered and often zealous nature of the Greyhawk fanbase, I'm sure that some die hard GH fans would find ways to take issues with it before the changes. The final round of changes that WotC wanted pretty much made it an unsalable product except to the die hard HM fanboys.

*sigh*

Either way, we can pretty much assume that Greyhack is dead and gone.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 pm  

KenzerCo wrote:

It is with regret that we announce that KenzerCo’s license with Wizards of the Coast for the D&D brand and the oD&D/AD&D copyright licenses for use with HackMaster will be expiring soon after GenCon. It was a fun seven year run and we really enjoyed writing official D&D materials and honoring former versions of that illustrious rules-set in our own particular KenzerCo way.

KenzerCo will continue to support the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting with setting and source material but the products will no longer bear the D&D logo. Any product currently bearing the D&D logo will only be offered for a limited time after the expiration of the licenses.

We will continue to support 4th edition HackMaster with adventures and other original materials on a going-forward basis, but will no longer offer “hacked” versions of 1e/2e/oD&D materials. Further, the class books, Hacklopedias, PHB, GMG and any “hacked” adventures will only be offered for a limited time after the expiration of the licenses.

The licenses were both rewarding and lucrative, and we at KenzerCo thank Wizards for the opportunity to play in the TSR/WoTC sandbox for the last several years.

We will be happy to answer any questions on the subject on our discussion boards through the Kenzerco.com site.

http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32056

No more "hacked" material. Pretty much confirms Greyhack is indeed dead. Sad
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: