Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sheldomar Map "article" forum enhancement!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Sheldomar Map "article" forum enhancement!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 pm  
    Sheldomar Map "article" forum enhancement!

Referring to my Map of the Sheldomar Valley in 593cy article, posted ages ago:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=376

Now and then since posting that, I get questions about some of the locations I included. Most of the locations labeled in black are settlements taken from either canon sources, or from Living Greyhawk triad site maps at the time. In some cases (such as names of Geoff's settlements from ATG:LOG, or Yeomanry settlements from that regions triad site), I tweaked the names a bit to make them less lame, Tika Town became Tikaton, for example. I'm not going to break these down in detail, but if anyone has a question about one in articular, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to dig through my old notes.

What I am going to do here is provide quick thumbnail descriptions of the locations labeled in red, which were intended to be ruins/places of mystery. Some are canon locales, others are places from my home campaign that I felt were interesting enough to share.

Here goes, in no particular order.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:29 pm  

Flanchar
    Flanchar is the name I use for the ruins of Vecna's old capitol city, when he was the mortal/undead lord of his sheldomar empire in ages past. It's a swampy ruin, half submerged in boggy mud and infested with all manner of undead and some hardy goblinoids who use some of the more accessible ruined buildings as lairs as they hunt in the rushmoors.

Adventurers hoping to delve in Flanchar are warned that the Dark Watch, a mysterious offshoot of the Knights of the Watch that is dedicated to keeping the grim legacy of Vecna's empire out of the hands of average folk, patrol the surrounding area fairly frequently, and will use force to discourage folk from entering the ruined city.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:36 pm  

Canyon of the Damned
    This is spot, just south of Gorna in the Stark Mounds, where the battle of Gorna took place, resulting in the invocation of the Censer of Undying Strife and the creation of the Sword Wraiths. The long, meandering valley stretches south for about 3 miles, and is somewhat peaceful and beautiful during the day, but at night, it becomes active with various undead, not the least of which are Sword Wraiths.

Now and then, folk from Keoland who are visiting the area and had relatives who died at the Battle of Gorna will visit here, placing small tokens and flowers to honor their ancestors.

After the wars, the giants usually avoid this place and its undead occupants, but it should be known that due to the strength of the lingering curse, any who die here are still animated as undead (though not always Sword Wraiths, there's plenty of lesser undead as well) upon the next nightfall. This has led to the existence of quite a few undead giants roaming the canyon and surrounding hills at night.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:55 pm  

The Tower of Silence
    A few hours ride south of Niole Dra stands the imposing and impenetrable tower that is home to the mysterious Silent Ones.

I don't use this locale much, so I don't have any homebrew material for it. For more information, check out Living Greyhawk Journal issue 1, or Gary Holian's Sorcerous Societies of the Flanaess article in Oerth Journal 3.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:59 pm  

The Speaking Stones

This druidic stone circle (think Stonehenge) lies on the small triangular island that sits where the Javan and Davish rivers meet. As an ancient Old Faith holy site, it is regularly visited by druids and rangers and may serve as a meeting place if the party is consulting with one of them.

More recently, the island was used as a secondary staging point for the armies mustered to liberate Sterich after the GH Wars ended.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm  

The Oracle of Whisper Peak

This ancient abandoned Dwur fortress is now home to a reclusive and mysterious Suel lich, known only as the Oracle. The Oracle has constructed substantial libraries and laboratories here, and prefers to spend her time researching the mysteries of magic, though from time to time she entertainers visitors who wish to consult with her on matters of magic or Jasidan religion. Though she dates back prior to the fall of the suel empire, and is rumored to have an excellent knowledge of the history of that era, she refuses to discuss those topics with visitors.

There is a small temple to Wee Jas located in the fortress as well, tended by a group of a dozen or so clerics and monks, who regulate entrance into the keep, demanding large tithes to the goddess of those who wish to see the Oracle.

In times of conflict, the Oracle, though a mage of immense power, chooses to let the clerics and her host of derro servants deal with trouble, only coming into battle herself if confronted by a mage or cleric (of a faith disliked by Wee Jas) of considerable ability.

Despite the evolution of the church of Wee Jas in the modern flanaess, the Oracle, as well as the Jasidan clerics at the keep are strictly orthodox in their faith, revering the goddess only for her aspects of Death, Magic and to a lesser extent, Law.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:13 pm  

Hill of Shattered Trees
    After leading the survivors of the Rain of Colorless Fire into the Flanaess, Slerotin recieved one final vision from the gods and directed the people to seek their new homes near the lonely tower (now known as the Tower of Silence, above). He then disappeared in a flash of magical energy that flattened all the trees on the hill, laying them down in a pattern roughly representing an arrow pointing to the northeast.

The fallen trees are now magically petrified, and this area is often used by travellers and hunters in the area as a campsite, for it is well known that the area is a dead magic zone, no magic short of an artifact or direct divine intervention will function here.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:23 pm  

Valadis

Valadis is an ancient ruined tower, the former home of the Malhel Suel, who dug into forbidden magics here and unleashed a magical calamity upon themselves.

The tower is forbidden to all by the ancient pacts of the groups living in the Dreadwood, as well as the law of the kingdom.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:27 pm  

Feathertop Mountain

This lonely peak, rising from the depths of the Dreadwood, is home to a little known Elven fortress, home to a few groups of wood elves, as well as a small tribe of Avariel (winged elves).

From here, the elves patrol the southern forest, sometimes clashing with lizardmen and other unsavories attempting to raid into the forest from the Hool Marsh area.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:30 pm  

The Emerald Vale

This scenic valley, hidden in the depths of the Dreadwood, is home to the lair of the Great Green Wyrm Aramanthyn.

The dragon is tolerant of the elves, rangers, druids and other forest folk who sometimes come to seek his audience or pay tribute to him, but fosters an unreasoning hatred (and, some whisper, fear) of humans, and will attack human, or human looking, folk on sight.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 pm  

Baltran's Beacon

This is the location of module I7: Baltron's Beacon. The name on the map is a typo.

The I7 scenario was adapted to Greyhawk by Gary Holian in Dragon magazine, issue 304.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:21 pm  

Great stuff, Chat. Thanks!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 am  

Thanks.

I would appreciate info on anyting you have on the Hold of the Sea Princes.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:11 pm  

These are great Chat, thanks. Could you tell us which of the above are canon and which are your own invention? If they are your own, could you provide more info if reqested? The Hill of Shattered Trees is one I like very much, and would be interested in additional information.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: