ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Its ON! Unofficial Postfest: Seaton and Salinmoor
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Its ON! Unofficial Postfest: Seaton and Salinmoor
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:13 pm  

Greyhawkers, with the blessings of Boccob and CanonFire! Administration, here we are announcing the first Unofficial Postfest. By that we mean one that has been initiated by members.

The topic is Seaton and Salinmoor.

Plenty has been written about the town of Saltmarsh and the nearby sections of the Hool Marshes, but very little is known about Viscounty’s capitol of Seaton or other areas of Salinmoor, such as the town of Burle.

Due: Sunday, September 15, 2007

This August and the first half of September, we ask writers to flesh out unknown aspects of Salinmoor, with particular, although not exclusive emphasis on the town of Seaton. The goal of this topic is to provide the noticeably absent details for one of the hottest adventuring spots in the Flanaess. What are the economics of the area? What are the shops and who are the NPCs? Why are the lowland marshes and upland moors so doggone salty? These are just a few of the questions your might answer. Your article may take any direction, drawing on existing works, such as Wesley's Map of Seaton ( http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=512 ), or devising something entirely on your own, for which there is plenty of opportunity.

Statistics are welcome for any edition, but creative effort is better spent on the elements that make your subject interesting and uniquely Greyhawk.

The Guidelines
    There are no restrictions to your imagination, there are a few rules that govern content and format.
    - The subject must have a World of Greyhawk theme.
    - You are not restricted to canon, you may choose a subject of your own design.
    - The subject should be about something in Salinmoor, or related thereto, preferably with a connection to the town of Seaton. (If you feel like writing about something else, submit that too, you don't need a postfest to contribute!)
    - Please try to keep articles to one or two pages long (600 - 1200 words), though longer submissions will be accepted.
    - You may submit more than one entry.
    - Entries should be submitted to Canonfire! by September 15, 2007.

Submitting Your Article Follow these easy steps:
    1. Visit the Canonfire! Web site at www.canonfire.com.
    2. Create a site account, or if you already have one, just log in.
    3. Click the "Submit an Article" link at the top of the page, on the left, just below the banner.
    4. Submit your article. Please include the initials "UPF" for Unofficial Postfest in the title.
    5. E-mail any extra information, artwork, or requests to editors@canonfire.com.

Unlike a traditional Postfest, we are asking that staff NOT post all the articles on a separate page, but rather release them on the front page, one every few days/week to help keep up the pace of fresh releases.

Have fun, and drop a note in this forum if we can answer questions or help in any other way.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:50 pm  

In anticipation of more unofficial postfests should we put UPF #1 or 01 in the title so we can tell them apart from those that (hopefully) will follow. That way in years to come if someone wants all the Seaton postfest articles they could just search for "UPF 01." Maybe I'm trying to make it too complicated. Just a thought.
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:04 pm  

If you want this "stickied" you'll have to get ahold of Duicarthan. I have pretty much 0 forum admin/mod privledges.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:41 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    In anticipation of more unofficial postfests should we put UPF #1 or 01 in the title so we can tell them apart from those that (hopefully) will follow. That way in years to come if someone wants all the Seaton postfest articles they could just search for "UPF 01." Maybe I'm trying to make it too complicated. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea. If not everyone picks up on it for this one, and if there is a second one, then we can start it up then.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:03 am  

Another useful map, or two are Yab's

http://www.oerthjournal.com/webz/Southern%20Keoland%20Political.gif

http://www.oerthjournal.com/webz/Southern%20Keoland.gif

Although I believe he has Burle 30 miles too far west.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 am  

I believe, there was an actual map of Seaton done, I have it on my computer but I can't seen to post it Embarassed

If anyone wants it PM me or talk a dinosaur through posting it.

I think the problem is I renamed it Confused

Thats the Map, my bad Embarassed

Thanks Wolfsire Wink

Last edited by Crag on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:58 am  

There is a map in the download section I think, I have that one. Though don't know how old it is off hand.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:02 pm  

Uhhh .... you guys aren't talking about the map linked smack dab in the middle of the opening post are you ....

Wesley's Map of Seaton ( http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=512 )

Embarassed Wink

Yes, I know if was a very long post, and shame on me for not following one of the basic rules of netiquette.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:49 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    Uhhh .... you guys aren't talking about the map linked smack dab in the middle of the opening post are you ....

Wesley's Map of Seaton ( http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=512 )

Thats the same one I was speaking about..
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:01 pm  

I started writing today! I had forgotten how much fun "freestyling" for a Postfest could be. Happy

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:58 pm  

Has the river flowing out of the southern Dreadwood that Seaton is at the mouth of ever been named? I searched the U's and didn't see it anywhere, but I'm blind as a bat sometimes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:57 am  

Not that I could find..

After doing a bit of research myself I noticed a huge lack of information, even the base town stats I couldn't locate any where
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:41 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Has the river flowing out of the southern Dreadwood that Seaton is at the mouth of ever been named? I searched the U's and didn't see it anywhere, but I'm blind as a bat sometimes.

Wesley's Map shows a water running through Seaton called "Salin Stream", but the U2 map does not show that, but rather a river and estuary to the west that is unnamed as far as I know.

Why don't you give it a name and post it here, so we all don't come up with different ones?

One thing that is interesting about the estuary is that east shore slopes down to the water, whiel the west side has steep cliffs. 300' by my count, maybe something just less than 400'. That high point might be an appropriate place for a watch tower.

Last edited by Wolfsire on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:43 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    I started writing today! I had forgotten how much fun "freestyling" for a Postfest could be. Happy

I started yesterday gathering some material I had floating around and thinking about how to connect it to Seaton.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:48 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    GVDammerung wrote:

I started yesterday gathering some material I had floating around and thinking about how to connect it to Seaton.

I decided that since the Unofficial Postfest was expanding to cover anything to do with Salinmoor, as well as Seaton, so would I. Smile

BTW, the announcements I made to Wizards and ENworld have been ignored pretty much. No one has said a word and minimal reads. Confused

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:02 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:

BTW, the announcements I made to Wizards and ENworld have been ignored pretty much. No one has said a word and minimal reads. Confused

I noticed that for Wizards. Dragonfoot is the same way. But if we catch one, it will be well worth the effort.

From an older forum here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=806&highlight=seaton&sid=94629e8d1a54ba73ebedcf44474a2cff

Wolfsire wrote:
    Any chance for an article developing your key on the Seaton map?

cwslyclgh wrote:
    sure there is, if I ever get around to typing it up, I have information written up for each of the locations I have keyed on the map... which is why I keyed them in the first place...

Wolfsire wrote:
    If you find the time, I am sure it will be worth it. Your work is top notch.

I will throw in an idea, which I cannot take credit for. There is a narrative adventure teaser by Mike Schleigh at the Keoland LG site that says bitter cranberry lambic is a regional specialty. Seaton looks to be far enough away from the Hool Marshes to avoid continual bacterial contamination, yet close enough to have acquired a strains to produce the characteristic lambic flavor. Seaton would be an excellent location for a specialty brewery or even several organized into a guild.

I sure hope he reads this ...

As I have actually brewed cranberry lamic (well, to the extent it is possible in the US), and loved the ones produced by Sam Adams, I'll see what I can do about this bit of flavor. I completely forgot about that post. Glad I found it.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 pm  

Well, the only thing I can find now about lambic is in the good hills.

But here is something else:

KEO5-IS3, Clearing Out the Chapterhouse by Jay Stypinski with Christian Alipounarian
    -You receive an urgent summons from the Heddmaster of the Seaton Chapterhouse of the National Academy of Wizardry. But what task can novice adventurers complete that Keoland’s most accomplished wizards cannot? A Keoland introductory module that answers the nagging question about just what happened to all those abandoned toad familiars. For 1st level characters only.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:46 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

Why don't you give it a name and post it here, so we all don't come up with different ones?

I was just out at the coast and all the streams flowing out of the forest were stained dark with tannin, so since this one flows out of the Dreadwood, and Blackwater is already taken how about the Dunflow River? Dunflow Bay has a nice sound to it also IMO.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:48 pm  

I'm a moron! The Dunwater is already a river in the U series. Nevermind... Embarassed
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:21 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I'm a moron! The Dunwater is already a river in the U series. Nevermind... Embarassed

Maybe not so much of a moron. All the rivers and creeks, except for the Javan, from U3 have names alluding to them being dark or sluggish -- Dank Brook, Black Drain and Duntide. We could stick with this theme. On the other hand the river where Saltmarsh is built is the Kingfisher. So I'm tossing out either the Sableflow or the Heron. What do y'all think?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:02 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

Maybe not so much of a moron. All the rivers and creeks, except for the Javan, from U3 have names alluding to them being dark or sluggish -- Dank Brook, Black Drain and Duntide. We could stick with this theme. On the other hand the river where Saltmarsh is built is the Kingfisher. So I'm tossing out either the Sableflow or the Heron. What do y'all think?

Where did you get the name Kingfisher, DMG. v. XXXX? I have a fan map were it is called Janustrem.

Also was "Duntide" a typo? Or do you have a cite for other than "Dunwater?"

I would not be inclined to include the Seaton river in with those of the near Hool because I think they would be very different, tidal marsh v. steep valley. Look at the topo lines. I would think the "salinmoors" would not be in that valley, but to the sides of it. I think water would come down those hillsides, and from the Dreadwood rather quickly, slowing down only where the seawater intruded, a few miles north of Seaton, in the estuary. So just to throw out something not too arbitrary, "Cleavewater." I do not know whether pace would remove the tanins. Maybe "Sablefoam".

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:41 am  

Wolfsire wrote:

Where did you get the name Kingfisher, DMG. v. XXXX? I have a fan map were it is called Janustrem.

DMG 2, Page 123

Chapter 4, Pages 119-152 provide detailed and updated on Saltmarsh
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:42 am  

Wolfsire wrote:

Also was "Duntide" a typo? Or do you have a cite for other than "Dunwater?"

I would not be inclined to include the Seaton river in with those of the near Hool because I think they would be very different, tidal marsh v. steep valley. Look at the topo lines. I would think the "salinmoors" would not be in that valley, but to the sides of it. I think water would come down those hillsides, and from the Dreadwood rather quickly, slowing down only where the seawater intruded, a few miles north of Seaton, in the estuary. So just to throw out something not too arbitrary, "Cleavewater." I do not know whether pace would remove the tanins. Maybe "Sablefoam".

Duntide is my typo. That's a river in Nyrond. Dunwater is the river we're talking about. Sorry.

Vascant is correct, the Kingfisher is given as the name of Saltmarsh's river on the map and in the text of the DMG 2. I'm reading that thoroughly for the first time and this jumped out at me.

"Recently, pirates and raiders from the north sacked the nearby city of Seaton, and nearly a thousand refugees flooded the streets of Saltmarsh."

Pirates from the north? Huh? I guess some pirates could take up along the coast with the Dreadwood but I wouldn't think the Duke of Gradsul would tolerate that. Maybe the resurgent Pomarj pirates of the yellow sails ranging to the west? Maybe a typo?

Good point about the nature of the river in that region. Cleavewater sounds good to me, and you started this whole thing so I think you should get the honor.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:02 am  

smillan_31 wrote:

"Recently, pirates and raiders from the north sacked the nearby city of Seaton, and nearly a thousand refugees flooded the streets of Saltmarsh."

I have already tried to find out how long since the pirates raided and any information concerning afterwards, such as the state of repair other relating matters. (So far nothing) Based on information in DMG 2 we know that Seaton is now just a little larger in population then Saltmarsh.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:56 pm  

Vascant wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

I have already tried to find out how long since the pirates raided and any information concerning afterwards, such as the state of repair other relating matters. (So far nothing) Based on information in DMG 2 we know that Seaton is now just a little larger in population then Saltmarsh.

Right. Even though it had a thousand of its citizens made refugees in the raid it is still large town or even small city size and probably still a bustling place. In fact Seaton could now be something of a boom town now due to all the rebuilding construction that is doubtless going on. Quite a few cities in the Caribbean were sacked multiple times and are still standing.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:45 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Quite a few cities in the Caribbean were sacked multiple times and are still standing.

A very nice point. But for my money it is still 576, give or take. Cool YMMV.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:59 pm  

Additional Seaton Information,

Only leader or noble I can find any information is Viscount Cronin Secunforth III (LN male human Ftr4)
    Master Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:02 am  

I would like to contribute a short article, to support the post fest. However, this is an area I know nothing about, and dont keep up with generally. Not since I ran through the U series oh, 20 years ago (geez, could it be that long?!?!). It was one of the first "Modules," I got to play through.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would gladly flesh out one of the map locations or otherwise, but knowing so little I am hesitant to free wheel. I like my articles to be somewhat copestetic it hopes others will find them useful.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:40 am  

There is also some info in Holian's Kingdom of Keoland from LGJ which can be found here in the download section.

Anced, I'm not sure what to suggest, but I am sure anything you write will be good. GVD and other really want details on Seaton, so you can't go wrong detailing a shop, tavern, etc. nor minor NPC. Major NPCs are only problematic with respect to being copestetic as others may have already developed them. Of course variation would not bother me, but rather just give me more to choose from.

Or you could so a list of rumors for that town, burle or rural Salinmoor. Hound of Baskerville (sp?) and Moby **** themes jumps out.

According to GH's KoK LGJ, Cronin is supposed to be responsible for keeping a "puritanical" atmospher in Seaton, so that could take you in all kinds of directions.

Glad to have you in.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:33 am  

Anced_Math wrote:
    I would like to contribute a short article, to support the post fest. However, this is an area I know nothing about, and dont keep up with generally. Not since I ran through the U series oh, 20 years ago (geez, could it be that long?!?!). It was one of the first "Modules," I got to play through.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would gladly flesh out one of the map locations or otherwise, but knowing so little I am hesitant to free wheel. I like my articles to be somewhat copestetic it hopes others will find them useful.

Pretty much had the same exact problem but I really wanted to get involved and get back into writing. For my first article I selected doing a haunted house of sorts which is part of the pirate attack aftermath. I added into it a few rumors and such which if given time during the Postfest I will flesh out with more details.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 am  
    Out on the Moor

I've got a few ideas I'll put together and see if I can manage to make them make sense. Happy

Just so I'm positive on this: I know we are focusing on Seaton, but I could do a tribe or four in the swamps right? I've got a really good idea for my Saltmarsh/Salinmoor Campaign that I am using, and would love get it down and share it (not to mention fully flesh out my ideas.)

Kobolds, goblins, bugbears and dragons oh my!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:29 pm  
    Re: Out on the Moor

MikelAmroni wrote:
    I've got a few ideas I'll put together and see if I can manage to make them make sense. Happy

Just so I'm positive on this: I know we are focusing on Seaton, but I could do a tribe or four in the swamps right? I've got a really good idea for my Saltmarsh/Salinmoor Campaign that I am using, and would love get it down and share it (not to mention fully flesh out my ideas.)

Correct, it has been stated does not have to be exclusive to Seaton.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:16 pm  
    Re: Out on the Moor

Vascant wrote:
    MikelAmroni wrote:

Correct, it has been stated does not have to be exclusive to Seaton.

Yeah, and I am glad you are jummping in!

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:27 pm  

I have been thinking about writing an article for some time, guess it is time to throw myself on my quill.

Count me in Wink

What have I done Shocked
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:43 pm  

Crag wrote:
    I have been thinking about writing an article for some time, guess it is time to throw myself on my quill.

Count me in Wink

What have I done Shocked

Great, this is forming up pretty nicely
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:48 pm  

Not that this is a collaborative project but if anybody wants to outline what they're doing I'd be interested in hearing it about it.
    For me I'm working off of Wes's Seaton city map and am detailing the section outside the walls between the temple of Procan and the Fish Market. Hope Wes doesn't mind us running with this although he did post it to CF so I'm guessing he wanted it used by others. Smile
    My thinking is that since the rich old money probably lives on what looks to me to be downslope from the castle that the new money, which I'm imagining to be merchant and whaling captains would build their big houses on the best spot left, the hill overlooking the harbor south of Salin Stream, which also happens to be near to the Fishermen's Wharves. So naturally they're going to patronize the building of a big new temple to Procan in their district and attract some of the better artisans and craftsmen to their area.
    What I'm writing is an overview of that district and a few detailed locations with maybe some plot points added to each.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:12 pm  

Perhaps it time to set some broad starting points we can all agree to:
    Current Date
    Seaton current status
    Seaton current ruler

I will be using Wes's Seaton city map; since it doesn't show terrible damage it must be after the pirate attack that took place in 576 CY.

What is the current date...587 CY?

Explain the rebuilding (11 years) and the economic recession since rebuilding if no central financial aid, going to Gradsul instead, would be a hard economic burden to carry.

The recent influx of refugees would bring renewed economic opportunities and social problems.

Current Ruler Viscount Cronin Secunforth III (LN male human Ftr4)

Opinions?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:23 am  

Topic: Abandoned house (Haunted)
    Time: I do not set a time in the article however it does have to happen after the pirate attack (This even can be replaced by another event very easily)

This little mini adventure can be tackled without lifting a single blade, in fact you will need to. I felt after such a brutal attack there would no doubt be rumors and such about where murders had taken place so I wanted to add some details.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:40 am  

Topic: NPC- Arner Glim

Location: A small home or tower in Seaton near the nobles and wealthy. Maybe on the downslope Smilian mentions.

Overview: A gnomish mage who has ceased all adventuring and lives (and has lived for a long time) tutoring the children of the wealthy. This could serve as an excellent mentor to a character.

He also has a sideline making some fairly unique magic items - Arner's Augmentors - very minor unslotted broaches and such that add 1 to 5 points to a skill (generally 1 to 3). He also dabbles in potions.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:11 pm  

As a first time prospective publisher;

Topic: Smuggling Operation run by a priest of Olidammara
    Topic: Various low level NPCs, short point of view motivation based article.
    Topic: The Refugee Fairness Committee: an organisation transforming into a proto-guild and political force to demand better treatment and wages for recent refugees to seaton.

Am I on the right track, sounds interesting or putting you to sleep?

BtW: I see the Plar of Hool as the noble in charge of the Hool Marsh Protectorate as a semi-nomadic pragmatic bandit lord figure who doesn't push too far to make it worth the effort to remove him especially since his province is hardly desirable. Smart enough to defend the south, even sends minimal taxes and "behaves" when the Lion Throne is upset but engages in smuggling/raiding if he feels he can get away with it.

Due to this rocky and slighly unsavory reputation the Lion Throne has retained direct control of westkeep refusing to allow the Plar to return his standard to the former provincial seat of westkeep.

Sent a PM to Wolfsire due to his Plar article, anyone see any canon problems with my interpretation?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:02 am  

Crag, I sent you are reply PM and you are welcome to crop it into here if you want.

I have a couple of ideas. One is salvaging some old stuf on the undersea alliance in U2 to run between U2 and U3, with a map and hopefully as brief stop at Seaton with an NPC. The other is a lambic mini guild in Seaton.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:12 am  

Umm, I had a great idea and starting writing a pretty good piece. But then, the more I wrote, the more I realized that the article I was writing may not be suitable for Canonfire as it seems to have taken on a "rated Adult Only" type atmosphere about it.

I'm really having a hard time at it. My knowledgeable boundaries are quite restricted to the Scarlet Brotherhood, Aerdy Lands, and the Rhizia.

Back to the drawing board.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:25 am  

abysslin wrote:
    Umm, I had a great idea and starting writing a pretty good piece. But then, the more I wrote, the more I realized that the article I was writing may not be suitable for Canonfire as it seems to have taken on a "rated Adult Only" type atmosphere about it.

I'm really having a hard time at it. My knowledgeable boundaries are quite restricted to the Scarlet Brotherhood, Aerdy Lands, and the Rhizia.

Back to the drawing board.

Keep in mind there really is no information on Seaton so even if you knew everything about Seaton it would still be not much
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am  

Thanks for the reply Wolfsire Smile

So a simply question; Who is officially in charge of the Hool Marsh Protectorate?

Is it crown controlled but the marsh area is simply pretty much ignored and left to the lizard men?

I rather like the idea of the Plar expanding his reach seek influence east of the Javan being spurned by Keoland so far.

Any other thoughts out there...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:06 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    The other is a lambic mini guild in Seaton.

Stouts and porters are more my thing but if you're ever in Seattle I know a great Belgian-style pub to do some lambic "research." They even serve mussels and frites! Smile

I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody comes up with and am pretty stoked about putting something else out about a part of the Flanaess I hadn't really thought much about before.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 am  

Crag wrote:

So a simply question; Who is officially in charge of the Hool Marsh Protectorate?

Is it crown controlled but the marsh area is simply pretty much ignored and left to the lizard men?

I rather like the idea of the Plar expanding his reach seek influence east of the Javan being spurned by Keoland so far.

My understanding is that the Protectorate is nominally ruled by a military council from Westkeep. In LG the leader of the council is a powerful evoker and Warmaster, although she is not present in the city much as she has other duties in Niole Dra.

I vaguely recall also seeing a canonfire article about personages in Westkeep plus the intelligence report on the Hold of the Sea Princes has some info on the Dunwater Resistance who lair just east of Saltmarsh. Try searching for those.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:02 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    Crag wrote:

My understanding is that the Protectorate is nominally ruled by a military council from Westkeep. In LG the leader of the council is a powerful evoker and Warmaster, although she is not present in the city much as she has other duties in Niole Dra.

I vaguely recall also seeing a canonfire article about personages in Westkeep plus the intelligence report on the Hold of the Sea Princes has some info on the Dunwater Resistance who lair just east of Saltmarsh. Try searching for those.

That sounds about right, but I have not actually researched the idea of "rule" of the protectorate. I would check, Samwise's articles. I would note that with the decline of the imperial phase of Keoland, they set of a string of forts across the Hool including most notably Bale Keep (of which I know of no description, only location) and what would eventually be called Baltron's Beacon. The latter was occupied, before its fall, by what was called a Marsh Warden.

IMC, the two major powers in the eastern Hool are Sakatha, the vampire lizard king from mod I?, Tomb of the Lizard King, and Yiss, the a true neutral lizard king, with thousands of lizardmen at his call hours, from mod I?, Baltron's Beacon. They are in the process of consolidating power and figuring out how to deal with each other, and, of course, are not the only powers.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:04 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Wolfsire wrote:
    The other is a lambic mini guild in Seaton.

Stouts and porters are more my thing but if you're ever in Seattle I know a great Belgian-style pub to do some lambic "research." They even serve mussels and frites! Smile

Yum. Drool. Low ... carb ... diet ... torturing .... me ... must ... resists ... ale ... Sad

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:21 am  

Can someone help fill in a couple of blanks for me? (I seem to be missing my LGG after my recent move!!!!)
    What are the major human races near (or in) the Hool Marshes, and what is teh major religion?

thanks in advance, I have plenty of ideas, just want my facts straight.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 am  

MichaelSandar wrote:
    Can someone help fill in a couple of blanks for me? (I seem to be missing my LGG after my recent move!!!!)
    What are the major human races near (or in) the Hool Marshes, and what is teh major religion?

From the description in the LGG it seems that the major human race in the Hool is the "desperate" race since it says "only desperate people flee into the Hool." Smile Sorry I had to take the joke, no matter how crappy.
    Seriously the entry indicates that most of these desperate people are fleeing civil war in the Sea Princes so I'd go more with the ethnic mix of that land which is Sofz. I'd be inclined to take out much of the "z", which indicates Olman since many of them seem to be concentrated in the rebel slave-controlled lands around Lake Spendlowe. It also indicates there are rumored cults of Orcus and Dagon in the area.
    As far as neighboring lands go the major religions are Osprem, Xerbo, Procan, Norebo and Kelanen among the native Sea Princes population; Syrul, Bralm and Tharizdun among the Brotherhood invaders. Keoland has a whole slew of deities in the LGG entry with Heironeous, Phaulkon and Cuthbert as the top three, although given the maritime nature of Salinmor, Osprem and Xerbo who appear further down the list would probably be the most important in that area. In the DMG 2 Saltmarsh description Pelor used to be top god in that town but Kord has taken his place. Using We's Seaton map there is a prominent temple of Procan which I am using as the particular patron of the whalers since Osprem would probably not be likely to favor that profession.
    Hope this helps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 am  

Thanks! Happy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:13 pm  

MichaelSandar wrote:

It really depends on where you looks. It would be different on different sides of the Hool and in different places in the hool. Below are 2 notes. The first is from my On Plars. The second is from Zavoda's GH index referencing a human tribe in the Hool. I presume they are the native flan.

FN11: Guide, p.8. Such lack of intermixing [of S and O in the Hold] is made all the more interesting in light of a canon conflict diminishing Oeridian influence in the Hold. The Guide, p.14, provides that the Hold is SOf, racially. The LGG, p.100, provides it is Sofz. LGG also provides there that the only Oeridian god worshiped is Procan, and makes no reference to Ehlonna, although her worships is established for the Vale of Berghof in the module UK2, the Sentinel, p.5. It is the opinion of this author that Kurell, Oeridian god of Jealousy, Revenge, Thievery; and Zodal, Flan god of Mercy, Hope, Benevolence would be appropriate for the Hool, the latter for the oppressed Flan, although others might also be appropriate.

Wenhulii Tribe [CLN]
    SOD - 347 -Sea Of Dust

In the Salinmoor portion of the Hool, I would probably have very few Flan and about as many mixed OS from Keoland- criminals and fisherman. With the area is largely occupied by wild things and humanoids. YMMV.

There is a good description of that area in U3, but is says almost nothing about any humans.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:50 pm  
    private messages

Wolfsire, check your private messages, please.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:36 pm  
    Re: private messages

bubbagump wrote:

Sorry, but I do not have one after Crag's Aug 6 one discussed above. If you sent one I did not get it.

My mailbox showed only 25% full, but I had a lot, so thinking that such might be the problem, I deleted several. You can try again and if that does not work, let me know here and I can try PMing you to which you can reply.

Or you can tap morse code on your screen with a pen. It has about as much a chance as going through as I would of undestanding it. Wink

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:42 pm  
    Re: private messages

Wolfsire wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:

Sorry, but I do not have one after Crag's Aug 6 one discussed above. If you sent one I did not get it.

My mailbox showed only 25% full, but I had a lot, so thinking that such might be the problem, I deleted several. You can try again and if that does not work, let me know here and I can try PMing you to which you can reply.

Or you can tap morse code on your screen with a pen. It has about as much a chance as going through as I would of undestanding it. Wink

I got your 3d try and responded to it. Let me know here if you did not get it.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:42 am  

I "may" have to bow out of this one. Some sudden changes have come up and I find myself having to move to a different town again. Sad

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:00 pm  

Okay. I have finished my submission. But have have two questions:

1st - When do we submit? When we are done or are we waiting until September 15th?

2nd - Would people prefer one very long submission or having a long submission broken up into smaller, discrete parts?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:25 pm  

I have finished 2 submissions Confused

Never having posted any articles before, it would be helpful if one of the publishing veterans would consider creating a thread;

Posting Articles For Dummies

Be sure to not take any computer competency into account, I for one would not feel offended being somewhat of a ludite Smile

If the thread is simple enough, it would save me from posting embarrassing questions Embarassed
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:43 pm  

Crag wrote:
    I have finished 2 submissions Confused

Never having posted any articles before, it would be helpful if one of the publishing veterans would consider creating a thread;

Posting Articles For Dummies

Be sure to not take any computer competency into account, I for one would not feel offended being somewhat of a ludite Smile

If the thread is simple enough, it would save me from posting embarrassing questions Embarassed

No problem.

Look at the upper left pane on your screen under the Main Menu heading. After "Login/Your Account," you will see "Submit Article."

First, log in to Canonfire. You must be logged in to submit an article.

Second, once you are logged in, click on "Submit Article." A template/form will appear where you can type in information or you can cut and paste from a word/wordperfect document. The Template/Form will ask you -

to title your article,

to identify a general CF classification for the article from a prepopulated list,

to give a brief "teaser" for your article, which appear under the title and before the body of the article when it is published to the front page, and

to cut and paste or type in the main body of your article.

Third, you _must_ then hit "Preview" to look over your article before it is formerally submitted. You can edit your article in Preview just as you can edit a post to the Forum in Preview.

Fourth, when you are happy with how your article looks in Preview, you can hit Submit and the article is submitted. (Note - You can hit Preview multiple to times to preview your edits - I do this at least twice before submitting)

CF moderaters will look over you submission and are pretty good about fixing any obvious formatting errors. The Template/Form can sometimes get a little wonky.

This should get you there! Happy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:57 pm  

Thanks so much GVD Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:31 pm  

Ok folks,
    I stickied the topic for you, and am adding a link to it from the CF Crier on the front page, maybe get some last minute extra submissions.

When you have all the submissions ready, let us know at editors@canonfire.com and we'll get the posted up on the site.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:59 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Okay. I have finished my submission. But have have two questions:

1st - When do we submit? When we are done or are we waiting until September 15th?

2nd - Would people prefer one very long submission or having a long submission broken up into smaller, discrete parts?

1st- I have not done much on mine yet, so I will probably do it closer to the 15th. I do not think it matters.

2nd- It depends on what works best for the articles, but as the "rules" call for a suggested max length, all other things being equal, use the rule.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:04 am  

ratlord wrote:
    Ok folks,
    I stickied the topic for you, and am adding a link to it from the CF Crier on the front page, maybe get some last minute extra submissions.

When you have all the submissions ready, let us know at editors@canonfire.com and we'll get the posted up on the site.

Thank you for the sticky!

I'm thinking we wait a couple of days after the 15th for the stragglers.

This should be an admin call based on the work required, but if I had the choice, I would prefer to see an UPF articles released over a period of time (1 every day or two, two or three a week, etc) to keep them on the front page and extend the show duration. IMO, on of the things that downgrades the PFs is a single link to some back-page that get missed in a glance or quickly forgotten.

Thanks, again.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:07 am  

Crag wrote:
    Thanks so much GVD Wink

Thanks from me too. I was going to reply, but I am glad you beat me too it. BTW, I usually preview and edit closer to a dozen times.

Two articles!

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:53 am  

Wolfsire wrote:

GVDammerung wrote:
    Okay. I have finished my submission. . . . Would people prefer one very long submission or having a long submission broken up into smaller, discrete parts?

. . . It depends on what works best for the articles, but as the "rules" call for a suggested max length, all other things being equal, use the rule.

Ooops! Embarassed I kinda forgot about the page limit. Confused I overwrote a bit. Smile Looking back it says longer submissions will be accepted even though that rubs up against the "rules." Happy I will definitely be splitting things up. Sorry. Sad

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 am  

Wolfsire wrote:

This should be an admin call based on the work required, but if I had the choice, I would prefer to see an UPF articles released over a period of time (1 every day or two, two or three a week, etc) to keep them on the front page and extend the show duration. IMO, on of the things that downgrades the PFs is a single link to some back-page that get missed in a glance or quickly forgotten.

We're open to suggestions on how to better promote the postfest pages, of course, but my feeling is that an attention grabbing headline in the CF Crier is the best way to get people to the postfest page for a couple weeks, depending on the number of submissions.

The real problem would be, with the postfest ending in mid-Sept, and the current status of regular articles programmed for possting on the site, regular posting on the front page would result in some of the postfest articles not appearing on the site until well after New Years. Shocked

We've got time to discuss options though, so if anyone has any alternate ideas, please post them here.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:55 am  

GVDammerung wrote:

Ooops! Embarassed I kinda forgot about the page limit. Confused I overwrote a bit. Smile Looking back it says longer submissions will be accepted even though that rubs up against the "rules." Happy I will definitely be splitting things up. Sorry. Sad

Also, bear in mind that the site itself has a limit to the length of articles submitted, though I don't recall the kilobyte size at the moment.

As always, if anyone needs help getting a submission prepared for the site, feel free to contact us, editors@canonfire.com
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:07 am  

ratlord wrote:
    Wolfsire wrote:

We're open to suggestions on how to better promote the postfest pages, of course, but my feeling is that an attention grabbing headline in the CF Crier is the best way to get people to the postfest page for a couple weeks, depending on the number of submissions.

The real problem would be, with the postfest ending in mid-Sept, and the current status of regular articles programmed for possting on the site, regular posting on the front page would result in some of the postfest articles not appearing on the site until well after New Years. Shocked

We've got time to discuss options though, so if anyone has any alternate ideas, please post them here.

Something to consider is a sort of combination of both. Post a banner with a link to all of them, with a note that they will be "featured individually" and put them on the front page over a time period. Putting them in the regular line to show up 4 months from now would not be good, but keeping up the regular article pace and tossing in the addtional UPF along the way over a month or so could be done. It is duplicative, but if the idea is to "promote the postfest pages" then that seems ok to me. I think the thing to be careful of is, considering the regular and PF articles, they each get a day or two (or more) in the sun and that readers do not get overwhelmed with too much of a reading list.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 pm  
    Just me being me

Hi all,

It has been a while, but I'm up for doing another article. But, me being me, I have long since busted the 1-2 page suggested size of the article. Also, me being me, I am ending up with a write up on more of the province as a whole versus Seaton. Oh well.

I am working this as a "Keoish Internal Security Report", in the same vein as my old "Keoish Intelligence Reports". I am exploring a theme in Salinmoor - of haunted lands and corruption of the mind, body, and souls of the populace. Think "CthuluHawk". It will make a great spot to adventure at any rate.

O-D
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:56 am  

OD, that sounds very cool.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:54 pm  

So glad I am not the only one going over Wink

I tend to use a larger font when writing, btw what is the "official" font size and maxium length for the articles posted and still be posted all at once?

I try to cut them down but I am running roughly 3 pages but with a smaller font maybe it is ok.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 pm  

Font size is not a factor, since the site will change it to default font anyway.

IIRC, the maximum length is like 16kb of plain text.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:34 pm  
    weighing in at a massive six pages!

OK,

I just sent in my article (weighing in at a massive six pages...)

Note to the outstanding CF editors and administrators - I had some problems with the font size of my submission. At random a few paragraphs were in a huge font size and bolded when I previewed them. I kept trying to edit them down, but that did not work, you will know it when you see it.

Catch you all during "Unofficial Postfest 2 - Electric Boogaloo"!

O-D
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:58 pm  

Dumb question: under submit an article; what category does guilds (thieves and merchant) and business fall under?

I used the Gazeteer Enteries heading since the postfest is suppose to flesh out seaton.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:08 am  

An article I wrote on a group was classed as a "Campaign Article", which really isn't all that descriptive, as any article could be a "Campaign Article". There ought to be a "Groups & Factions" option in that list too. Perhaps somebody can make that happen...

I look forward to seeing everyone's articles on this area, as I have been very tempted to run the U series of late for the low-level schlubs in my campaign.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm  
    Re: weighing in at a massive six pages!

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    OK,

I just sent in my article (weighing in at a massive six pages...)

I finally got mine in. Only one, but it was 5 pages, plus a map.

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    Catch you all during "Unofficial Postfest 2 - Electric Boogaloo"!

Is it too early to discuss topics? Laughing

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:06 pm  

No thanks to CF being slooooooow and balky today, I got my first submission in - A Guide to The Viscounty of Salinmoor - Introduction and Overview. There are 9 submissions total in the que as of today. FYI.

I have several followups prepared, as my entire writeup ran quite long. Next up will be - A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor - Who's Who.

This will be followed by A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor - A Brief Chronicle of the Viscounts of Salinmoor. This is essentially a ruler by ruler history covering 300 plus years.

Finally, there will be A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor - Places of Mystery.

Canonfire's performance cooperating, of course.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 am  

Wow, GVD! Looking forward to seeing it all, as well as everyone else.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:59 pm  

Do we know how many articles were submitted?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:03 am  

There are now 8 articles in the queue for the UPF.

I plan to begin posting them to the front page monday, october 8, in order of submission, with a 1 day delay between articles (so 10-8, 10-10, 10-12, etc) until all are posted.

So any last minute submissions, you've got about two weeks till they post!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:43 pm  

ratlord wrote:

I plan to begin posting them to the front page monday, october 8, in order of submission, with a 1 day delay between articles (so 10-8, 10-10, 10-12, etc) until all are posted.

Thank, that sound like a great plan.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:15 pm  

I just submitted - A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor: Who Is Who.

BTW, there were 11 articles in the que.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:42 am  

ratlord wrote:

Not to fuss, but can we expect some this weekend?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:36 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    ratlord wrote:

Not to fuss, but can we expect some this weekend?

Any word on this?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:47 pm  

not that i have heard

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:06 am  
    Tonight!

GVDammerung wrote:
    Any word on this?

Hey, all. I am gonna get these Postfest submissions done tonight. So, the first should show up this evening. I will follow Rich's proposed convention of posting them to the site's font page every other day. After they are all posted, I'll gather them all onto one page, like former Postfests.

Sorry about the delays. But, we are getting it done for you guys. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am gonna un-sticky this post now, if that is okay with this Postfest's organizers.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    CF Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 am  
    I Goofed

Okay, I already goofed up. Two UPF submissions went up immediately. I have not worked on the site as an administrator in a long time. Sorry. At least they are starting, right? The rest shall be appearing as discussed.

Don (Greyson)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:24 pm  

I have a related but off-site contribution. Since I have a campaign story in which I'd like to involve the Dunwater Resistance, I edited (photoshopped scans of) the old lizard man lair in order to update it for the new occupants. I just closed off the areas that were sea-caves, hatcheries, and the like. Hopefully this isn't infringement of some kind Confused

Link: http://www.crithitcomics.com/dunwater.htm
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 am  

Thanks, Greyson.

Was the goof that you did not put the map in my article? I sent it separately by e-mail. Let me know if I need to send it again.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:32 am  
    No Problem

Wolfsire wrote:
    Thanks, Greyson.

No problem - glad to help. I like this idea of posting them to the front page individually. I hope this works out and satisfies the contributors and guests.

SenpaiLee, your map is welcome - nice work on a classic.

Don (Greyson)
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:35 am  
    Font problems

Yarr....

My article is posted, but I could not correct the crazy font problems and now it got posted that way. If one of the administrators could please fix the out of control large sized fonts, I would most appreciate it.

thanks

O-D
    CF Admin

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:14 am  
    Re: Font problems

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    If one of the administrators could please fix the out of control large sized fonts, I would most appreciate it.

I'll fix it for you. I wondered about it when I was getting them ready for posting. I thought it was a dramatic effect - I should've asked.

Don (Greyson)

Last edited by Greyson on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:06 am  
    thanks for the fix

Thanks a bunch for the fix up on the article Don. It looks much better now. You admin guys have a lot to do, so I appreciate the efforts.

O-D
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:20 am  

Wow, Crag, you just took off! I'm just trying to keep up. Laughing

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:52 pm  

With the submissions in and up, I just want to offer cudos and applause to Wolfsire who concocted the Unofficial Postfest! And cudos and applause to all who participated! Good results all around!

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:56 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    With the submissions in and up, I just want to offer cudos and applause to Wolfsire who concocted the Unofficial Postfest! And cudos and applause to all who participated! Good results all around!

Thanks GVD, but you deserve cudos too. While 9 articles from 5 participates is not massives, it is still a great addition to this site and in defining Seaton/Salinmoor. I think the geographic focus is something that should be repeated.

UPF2 ....

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm  

OK, I'm new (sort of). Where are the results?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:44 pm  

The results are located HERE.

A great effort by all involved, and this one is definitely long over and is a lock. If anybody wants to discuss particular articles then do so in the Readers Workshop forum(please read the rules there before posting).
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: