JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Witch Hunters of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Witch Hunters of Greyhawk
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:04 am  
    The Witch Hunters of Greyhawk

A thought struck me the other day. Are there any organised groups in the Flanaess which participate in what we would term witch-hunts?

Now, I know that splatting evil cults and what-not is part and parcel of many adventures, but are there any organisations that dedicate themselves to the discovery and eradication of evils such as fiend summoning, necromancy and the worship of evil gods?

And while I'm on the subject, I assume that the above is illegal in many areas. But what are the punishments? Prison and daily sermons from a cleric of St. Cuthbert, or do they go for the full burning at the stake?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:46 am  

I'm not sure about canon, but witch-hunting has been a relatively common part of my campaign for years (usually behind the scenes, though.)

I've always thought that certain sects of Hieroneans would logically get into witch-hunting, and Pelorites would certainly hunt down necromancers and others who like to produce undead. I've also ruled IMC that any follower of Tharizdun is automatically declared a dangerous heretic and hunted down, at least in most civilized lands. I ran Cradle of Madness (from Dungeon #87) some time ago, and the repercussions of having several of the children of Greyhawk's nobility publicly executed for Tharizdun worship are still remembered by my players today.

I also have an organization of spellcasters (adepts, mostly, but also some quasi-religious sorcerers) in and around Hardby who are the unwitting pawns of the Drow. They've all been officially sentenced to death, and are relentlessly hunted for their crimes.

Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:10 am  

Interesting.

After having a bit of a think, I believe that if anywhere would have a large numbers of Witch Hunters, it's The Theocracy of the Pale. But I'm sure that there is no reason that they can't exist elsewere, and in various degrees of zeal.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 pm  

In the Pale; The valourous league of blindness hunt not only "demon consorts" but heretics in general. They are sancyioned by the church and national conclave.

They are practically a law unto themselves, if a crusading member determines "You" are demon tainted don't expect any help from the locals.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:33 am  

Yep. The Pale tops the list of the most likely witch-hunters.

But what's with all the hatin' on witches? Can't we all just get along? Sad

Not that I am biased or anything...

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=641

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=740

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=709

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=739

Happy

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 am  

I wasn't picking on witches exclusivly, just people who go around with devils and undead. Wink

Anyway, just how would witch hunters work in this setting? Would the over-zealous style hunters exist, a-la The Crucible complete with innocent dying along with the guilty in order to purge the taint of evil, or would more measured and calmer versions be the norm?

I think the first would be more interesting for a game, but the second more likely. But I'm sure there are areas where the real netjobs can find work.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:56 pm  

Why not both?

I am sure their are careful professionals, vengence driven, self righteous religious zealots, evil twisted individuals and even plenty of fakes out there.
    Novice

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:42 pm  

Although the Pale would definately have a witch-hunting organization, I believe Keoland would top my list for places with organized witchhunting.

According to the Living Greyhawk Gazateer:
    "For most of Keoland’s history, the study of magic was banned to its citizenry, and its practice was restricted to secret societies and certain nobles. Little evidence is seen by the casual observer of powerful
    wizards’ magic, as commoners fear those who practice spellcraft."

Taking into account the above reference, I believe it is likely that there are organizations active in the realm who's primary focus is to hunt down and destroy anything they deem unnatural. Which would include witches, demons, and devils.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:27 pm  

That history involved not hunting practitioners of the magical arts just because of what they were, but as a means of controlling power. It also mainly applies to one of the previous noble families themselves- the Malhel, who were outcast for doing some really bad things. Keoland does have a group that handles such things, and they are called the Malagari (or Darkwatch, when referring to those members of the Malagari who also are members of the Knights of the Watch or Knights of Dispatch).

Keoland does not have active "witch hunters" other than the Malagari. The Malagari seldom occupy themselves with "witches" unless these have ties to the Malhel, ties to Vecna, are misusing powerful magic, or have in their possession magical items that could be construed as easily abused. The Malagari ostensibly serve the Silent Ones, though they also have some political ties to the Neheli. If some practitioner of the arts starts to use some powerful magic anywhere in the Sheldomar, they would be remiss not to expect a visit from Malagari agents sooner or later.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 pm  

The AD&D 2nd ed Guide to Hell includes the description of a Furyondy-based organization called L'Ordre de la Croix Rose Veritas (the Order of the Rosy Cross of Truth), a Cuthbertine order dedicated to the rooting out of devilish influence in the Flanaess. The order has three public branches (La Croix Verte -- Green Cross, La Croix Blanche -- White Cross, and La Croix Bleue -- Blue Cross) and one secret branch (La Croix Noire -- Black Cross). "The most powerful members of La Croix Verte are the inquisitors, whose job it is to detect diabolic influence in the public at large"... sounds like the witch hunters you're looking for!

The write-up of the organization is three pages long and flavourful (though some DMs may not like the way Furyondy is made to sound like it's an analogue for medieval France). I didn't like the way they completely butchered French grammar in their naming conventions (in my opinion, if a company is going to try to incorporate another language in their products, they should at least make an effort to do so correctly... note that in the previous paragraph, I corrected the French names for the various branches of the order).

I hope that helps...
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:51 am  

In 3E/3.5, an order called the Knights of the Chalice were mentioned quite a bit (and they might have been in a couple of late 2E sources, though I forget precisely). While they were in "core" products, and had little direct mention in WoG (did they get mention in the LGG? I forget...), the KotC are dedicated to fighting fiends and supernatural evils. So they could fit as a witch-hunter. Also, several of the other PrCs from the various books could fall into that category (Justicar, Consecrated Harrier, Shadowbane Stalker & Shb Inquisitor, Inquisitor, etc.). I have always had "witch-hunters" around in some fashion, though usually not in an orginization of any kind.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:56 am  

While on the subject, would you be looking for information on hunting supernatural evil, or on hunting "witches"? In the latter, what would constitute a witch? The class? An evil caster? Hmmm? Just curious; in my games, although the term for such people is "witch-hunter", it applied to any sort of evil caster - wizards, clerics, witches, fiends, etc.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:30 am  

Generally speaking, if it is evil and is or deals with the supernatural, witch-hunters will hunt it. Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't only hunt vampires you know... Wink

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:46 am  

gargoyle wrote:
    While on the subject, would you be looking for information on hunting supernatural evil, or on hunting "witches"? In the latter, what would constitute a witch? The class? An evil caster?

I think that the definition of witch would vary from hunter to hunter.

Some would stick to clerics of evil dieties, fiend summoners and general 'clear' evils.

Some would be a bit more extensive, not only purging the guilty but also giving those around the condemed an extensive inquisition to ensure that no evil escapes their notice.

And finally those that, upon finding a cult of Fraz-Urb'luu in a village, go "Burn them all and let the gods sort them out."

Obviously some wouldn't be allowed in everywhere, but those are the broad strokes I define them with.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 am  

As others have said, the Theocracy of the Pale is the perfect setting for zealous witchhunters.

A friend of mine ran a very interesting couple of campaign sessions in the Pale. He depicted it as a very civilized and orderly place (more so than the somewhat chaotic post-war Nyrond), where the Church does its utmost to protect and care for its flock - so long as they obey the One True Path. Anyone threatening the reigning order, and by implication, the purity of the populace, is dealt with ruthlessly.

The interesting curveball that this tossed us was that though the Palish were fanatics and long established enemies of our (largely Nyrondese and Tenha) PCs, they also sincerely cared for and protected their own people and were genuinely puzzled at why we heretics didn't want to accept the security and salvation of the Blinding Light.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 pm  

His Transcendent Imperial Majesty Xavender I would do well to secretly support a group of witch-hunters to help reduce the widespread devil worship in the lands of the former Great Kingdom in an attempt to bring some sanity to the land.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:21 am  

Another interesting feature of the Theocarcy of the Pale is that

"Wee Jas is worshiped in highly lawful and civilized communities including Lo Reltarma, the Scarlet Brotherhood, and the Theocracy of the Pale."

---Dragon #88

The fact that the Theocarcy of the Pale features a strong following dedicated to Wee Jas is interesting in and of itself, and polytheism in the Theocracy of the Pale is mostly glossed over in later products. If I had a copy of Fate of Istus handy I'd check to see if one of Wee Jas' temples is on the Wintershiven city map. The "Ruby Witch" having a temple in these lands is a notable thing and Wee Jas' temples are never piddling, tending rather towards the grandiose and cathedralesque.

I'm sure the Pholtans have some sort of weird spin they put on her church's presence, or they are simply not powerful enough to oust Her followers completely. The situation would be a tense one I'd gather.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 am  

Interesting find, Cebrion. I just checked the Wintershiven map in Fate of Istus, and no temples to Wee Jas are indicated thereon.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:15 am  

Since Gygax left TSR the facts surrounding Greyhawk have been used rather two-dimensionally. The Pale is a good example of this, they are religious fanatics worshipping Pholtus and suddenly the entire nation becomes a single congregation while trying to convert the rest of the Flanaes. The Flanaess is large enought to encompass discrepancies and variations even in seemingly homogenous areas!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: