JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk and Chainmail
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk and Chainmail
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:40 pm  
    Greyhawk and Chainmail

Well, after posting this thread over at ENWorld, somebody suggested that this is where I needed to be for Chainmail Greyhawk. . . so here I am.

First, let me provide a bit more context to the thread linked to above. I absolutely sat down with the intent of running an OD&D (1974) campaign using the three core booklets and Supplement 1 (duh). When I finished re-reading my copy of Chainmail, however, I had the urge to try something different.

Specifically, I have the urge to run a short Greyhawk campaign using only the Chainmail rules in the Man-to-Man scale (using those and the Fantasy combat tables). Has anybody else done this? If so, how did it fare? How did you handle non-combat action resolution? Do you have any suggestions for a first-timer*?

Thank you for your time and insight!

*I've played plenty of D&D. I've never run a D&D-ish campaign using only the Chainmail rules before. Appaently Dave Arneson doing exactly this thing is what gave Gary the idea for D&D, so I can only assume that such a game is possible.

Last edited by jdrakeh on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:21 pm  

This was originally posted in the Old Lore (Classic D&D) subforum. Due to that forums focus on later incarnations of the non-AD&D line, I've moved the post here to general discussion where it might get its proper attention.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:24 pm  

ratlord wrote:
    This was originally posted in the Old Lore (Classic D&D) subforum. Due to that forums focus on later incarnations of the non-AD&D line, I've moved the post here to general discussion where it might get its proper attention.

Sorry about that. I couldn't find a specific set of guidelines for where to post conversations about OD&D/Chainmail material. Basic D&D seemed like the next closest thing.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm  

No problem, the topic is welcome here, I just felt it would get more attention in the general discussion area.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:46 pm  

While I haven't ever run a campaign using only the Chainmail rules, I have run a campaign using only the old white boxed set, which is similar in some ways.

If you decide to do this, be prepared to rely much more heavily on your imagination that you may have in the past. You'll have to come up with a lot of things on the fly, including in some cases the rules you use to resolve various actions. In the old days when I did that, I generally fell back to a combination of character development and ability checks to decide non-combat actions. In other words, if the player said his character used to be a locksmith, then he might have a reasonable chance of being able to pick a lock. If he never said anything about being able to cook, then he's not likely going to be able to slip poison into the BBEG's dinner without it being noticed. Does the character need to lift a heavy object? Then roll a Strength check, etc. I'm sure you get the idea.

The "lite rules" method of DMing, IMO, is often even more fun than the standard method. In fact, I once ran an entire multi-session adventure with no rules whatsoever, and we all had a blast. You have to make sure your players are on the same page, though. If they need to see something in black and white before they accept your decision, every game session is going to turn into an argument PDQ. If, OTOH, they can handle the idea of you pulling ideas out of thin air, then it should work fine. Good luck, and let us all know how it goes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:42 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    I have run a campaign using only the old white boxed set, which is similar in some ways.

I've done this before, though it has been a while.

Quote:
    If you decide to do this, be prepared to rely much more heavily on your imagination that you may have in the past.

You're assuming that I'm not familiar with rules-light games ;) I've run long (1+ year) campaigns using systems like The Window and Risus, as well as OD&D. Thanks for the advice, though -- I will have to get back in that mindset, for sure.

Quote:
    I generally fell back to a combination of character development and ability checks to decide non-combat actions.

That's the plan at this point, though I need to toss together a basic roll for non-combat actions in Chainmail (note that characters do not have stats like "Strength" in Chainmail). I'm thinking about using a 1d6 roll, with a result of six counting as a success, adding +1 bonuses based on character background/description.

Quote:
    The "lite rules" method of DMing, IMO, is often even more fun than the standard method.

Oh, I totally agree 100% :D

Quote:
    Good luck, and let us all know how it goes.

Thanks! If I get it off the ground, I will absolutely post updates.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm  

Update: I emailed Dave Arneson for advice on running a proto-RPG using Chainmail or other wargame rules. Specifically, I asked about how he did it Way Back When and if he had any suggestions or house rules that he might share. If I hear back from him, I'll post another update to this thread.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:28 pm  

Please do. I'd love to hear what he has to say. Dave is one of several that I've always wanted to sit down and talk with but have never had the chance.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: