JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Refugee Fairness Committee
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Refugee Fairness Committee
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:44 pm  
    Refugee Fairness Committee

Craq has submitted an article entitled The Refugee Fairness Committee.

Link - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=864&mode=&order=0&thold=0

This is one of the more thought provoking articles I've read in awhile. Wars create refugees. Greyhawk has had a lot of warfare. Shouldn't there be a greater refugee problem? Wouldn't a refugee problem be among the Top two or three issues in the post-Wars Flanaess? I think so. Lots of people got displaced. But canon makes scant mention of the likely movement of people as refugees.

Craq's article looks at refugees as an economic and political resource just waiting to be exploited by the unscrupulous or the scrupulous. In other words, as an adventure seed or an adventure generator. I like this thoughtful approach to an obvious issue that is not obvious in canon.

In a way, Craq' article dovetails with parts of my own unofficial postfest submission. Craq's article looks at what I will call low end refugees - the common folk looking for safety. In my article (not yet posted) one thread I weave into the tale is what I'll contrastingly call high-end refugees - displaced nobility. Great minds . . . Wink

I think Salinmoor, with the substantial loss of the Hold of the Sea Princes and Wild Coast as adventure incubators, can become a new adventure incubator. IMO, refugees allow a DM nearly unlimited potential to create adventures or place adventurers.

Well considered article, Craq!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:06 pm  
    Re: Refugee Fairness Committee

GVDammerung wrote:

This is one of the more thought provoking articles I've read in awhile. Wars create refugees. Greyhawk has had a lot of warfare. Shouldn't there be a greater refugee problem?

IMC, as is sort of hinted at in canon (tAB, the Falcon series, etc), most of GH cities refugees are relegated to shacktown, outside the walls of the city proper. Unless they get too rowdy or cause trouble, I don't GH city really paying attention to them at all, much less being a problem that needs addressed.

Helping the down and out in shacktown is one of the subplots of the Falcon series, and IMO, they are worth reading for their bits of lore on shacktown and some of its personages, if nothing else.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:10 pm  

Thanks for the response, since it was my first, glad to see it wasn't entirely off base.

Personally I was thinking of dropping the "Cast of Characters" but I wanted to show that "Low Level" can be useful too.

Any suggestions for next time...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:36 pm  

Thanks, Crag, I enjoyed it. My only criticisms is that it could have used some editing, but Im not really one to put form over substance. Great job.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: