Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A new campaign - Where the heck to place it in Furyondy...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A new campaign - Where the heck to place it in Furyondy...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 am  
    A new campaign - Where the heck to place it in Furyondy...

LOOOONG time Greyhalk fan/GM I've run games in Greyhawk off and on since the 80s.

I'm finally easing my son, and my best friends son into the hobby, and have decided on HOW I want to run the campaign, as well as WHERE (in the big sense) I want to run it.

I'm taking my 'namesake' character (Delcar, a NG Drow long predating Drizzit :P) and settling him down. Being a mage and diviner of no small power, he's gotten an inkling of the dark times coming - its about CY 572 where we left off.

(the 576 'reboot' topic was a facinating read, considering.)

In his PC days, he ended up doing a lot of adventuring jobs for the King of Furyondy, and I (the player) and Delcar (the character, having friends in the order) have always had an affection for the Knights of the Hart.

A comment in Iuz the Evil caught my eye (don't have it handy, so this is from memory) about the Knights of the Hart actively recruiting potential mages helped get my wheels turning.

That, and interestingly, the cartoon Naruto. (Stay with me! No need to run off screaming -yet-.)

Concept:

Delcar, knowing something big is going to happen, knowing the KotH will end up on the front lines, has decided to settle down, and pitch in. He's going to call in favors, get titles, pardons and anything he can for his trusted friends (the old PC group) making them the trainers of a new kind of knight - one that can handle (or at least be familiar with) sword, spell and subterfuge.

To explain it to the youngin's I've told them that Delcar is going to be (gah, please forgive the comparison) part 'Dumbledore' and part 'Hokage' at the founding of a new school for heroes.

The last generation of characters (and players!) will be training the new generation of characters (yes, and players).

I may fiddle with the timeline of the wars (I'll move down to the heretics section if need be ;) ) but basically, I want to have the knight-aspirants just on the verge of earning their spurs when all hell breaks loose on Oerth.

Possible (existing) Locations:

Bronzewood Haunt:
    What better way to cement his relationship with his new liege than to 'recover' a haunted ruin, and turn it into a thriving community?

Advantages:
    Totally open (AFAIK) for me to design.
    Great adventure potential for the 'old farts' to get together again.

Mixed:
    Not in lands siezed but Iuz during the war. (both a pro and a con)

Disadvantages:
    No one in their right mind would bring the neophytes to the clearing of the 'great evil'. If it were to run long, we'd end up leaving main players out of the campaign.
    Not the most exciting placement for a castle - Iuz' troops aren't likely to strike that deep into Willip (I'm a sucker for a good siege).

Eyeberen:
    While Luther built it after the Horned Society fell, having a stronghold on the borders of an ACTIVE Horned Society would hardly be a bad thing.

Advantages:
    Delcar being a powerful mage could keep the same 'flavor' given by Janzipir, with him being a Drow will keep the same 'cold prickly' feeling from the locals.

Disadvantages:
    Viscount Luther Derwent doesn't seem a likely choice for a liege for Delcar, and would hardly tolerate Belvor giving out chunks of 'his' land.

Castle Ehlenestra:
    As with Eyeberen, scrap/ignore the current occupants (and probably the name)

Advantages:
    Being near the Vesve is a great spot for adventure.

Disadvantages:
    Delcar would likely not be the best guy to make nice with the Vesve elves.
    The current castle has lots of 'flavor' and fits nicely on the edge of the forest.

None of these feel like great choices, and I'm hesitant to 'plop down' another fortification, but it may be the right choice. I'm open to suggestions/discussion.

Delcar owns a couple of merchant ships, so somewhere on waterbourne trade route could create more adventures.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 pm  

I'd suggest the Viscounty of the March along the Crystal River since you don't seem to want to put it in the former occupied lands of the Barony of Kalinstren or the County of Crystal Reach where most of the titles and land grants would probably be to encourage settlement.

Somewhere west of Eyeberen and south of Ringstone mainly because the Viscount Luther Derwent was fortifying his borders and is the one lord most interested in the bottom line. It is also the weak spot for the defense of his lands just across the river from the Lands of Iuz.

A minor title with a modest land grant would be an inexpensive way for him to acquire the services of a powerful mage, despite his status as a Drow of all the Furyondy lords IMO he would seem the one most predisposed to overlook his new vassal being a Drow. Additionally it places the stronghold near Castle Hart if your PCs will have ties with the Knights of the Hart which is located in the town of Port Valour at the junction of the Veng and Crystal rivers.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 am  
    Hmmm.. Good ideas...

Castlemike,

Good ideas; anyone know if Luther has always been a follower of Trithereon, or was that a conversion after the hardships of the war?

There are some great political implications making him a vassal of Luther, I'm starting to like the idea more.

Anyone else have any input?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 am  

Viscount Luther Derwent of the March, N (with LN tendencies in the Marklands), F- 4, age 61, St 15, Int - 17, Wis - 8, a man of high intelligence but unable to grasp the bigger picuture. He is parochial, too matter of fact, but very attentive to detail and always argues his case with a thorough knowledge of the facts. His second wife Alistacia age 39, two sons Petronian and Timarn age 15, hs daughter Gyneren by his first marraige is 31.

I always viewed Luther more as a follower of Zilchus, his tax multiplier is 1.2 and his tithe multiplier is 1.5 only Kalinstren and Crystalreach have higher taxes and tithes in Furyondy according to the Marklands and they were the two domains that suffered the most in the war. Of all the predominant religions for Furyondy in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, Zilchus seems to match up with him the best.

It is the CG Baron Kalinstren who is succeded by his daughter the CG Baroness Jelleneth Kalinstren, she is written up as revering Trithereon in the Marklands.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:00 pm  

<duh> Thats what I get for posting from memory. :D

Delcar being something of a merchant sort himself would probably get on well with Luther then.

Great suggestion, I'm liking this more and more.

(Being a Drow he's not the most devout sort, a bit cynical.)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: