Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Trallant is in Redhand, Right?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Trallant is in Redhand, Right?
    CF Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 pm  
    Trallant is in Redhand, Right?

Hi, all.

I think it looks like the town of Trallant is in the Bandit Kingdom freehold of Redhand. I've been comparing three different maps, and it looks like the bend of the Artonsamay River that Trallant abuts is in the northern and far eastern reach of Redhand.

I don't find any clarifying language in Iuz the Evil. I think it can be argued that it's in Reyhu. But, comparing the map from "Where the Bandits Are" in Dragon 63 to Anondson's awesome Central Flanaess map and Dungeon's 2005 map seems to put Trallant just inside of Redhand.

Language in Iuz the Evil seems to say that Marionnen enjoys being "lord and liege" in Trallant. But, Zeech was allowed to maintain rulership of Redhand. So, I assume that language just illustrates Marionnen's game against leadership in Balmund. Sadly, the names Alhaster, Zeech and Redhand don't even appear in Iuz the Evil. Looks like our illustrious Iuz the Evil author conjured Alhaster to give Zeech a home and Redhand a capital.

It's a minor thing - just curious if anyone else has an opinion.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad - PoC

Last edited by Greyson on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:03 am  

I came to the same conclusion when I did the research for my map of the area. Here is a cutout from my map showing the area:

I placed Trallant at the river as a border settlement just inside Redhand. Labeled it a village due to the statement “Some 200 humans still survive in Trallant” (Iuz the Evil p. 46) I see now that I didn’t make it walled which is inaccurate so I’ll change that, but shall I make it a small town?

Anna
    CF Admin

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:48 am  
    Not Sure...

Anna wrote:
    Labeled it a village due to the statement “Some 200 humans still survive in Trallant” (Iuz the Evil p. 46)... but shall I make it a small town?

That is a beautiful map - nice work. And thanks for helping me out here. If we count the Marionnen's 1,200 humanoid soldiers, then Trallant is a small town according to the 3.5 DMG. If we only count the commoners, 200 as you noted, Trallant is a hamlet.

I say stick with the small town appellation. I think it works well, especially if your campaign has progressed from the early 580s CY. Who knows how many more people Marionnen has press-ganged into service? Or, how many despicable personalities have wandered into Trallant to curry Marionnen's favor.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:41 am  

Great, more details corrected. Smile

There will be an updated map available soon, with Trallant as a small walled town.

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 am  

Great map Anna.

Where will that updated map be available? I would love to get hold of a copy.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:09 pm  

Thanks Krimeah Smile

You will be able to download it from my webstorage at:

https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Hopefully I will have the latest maps there this weekend. The filenames includes dates so you can check for updates.

Anna
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: