Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A complete planetary map of Oerth/Greyhawk?????
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A complete planetary map of Oerth/Greyhawk?????
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 pm  
    A complete planetary map of Oerth/Greyhawk?????

Cool

Does anyone have the whole of Oerth in map form. You get this little map in the original gazette (circa 1980's) but as far as I can see WoTC has never fleshed out the geography of Oerth.

In fact it appears that way for a lot of campaign settings they are working with...it appears that the game world designers of WoTC have ADD instead of playing AD&D.

Here at the advent of 4th edition you might think they can finish at least the georgraphy of a game world.

Later

Exclamation Wink
    GreySage

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 pm  

Here's the map from the Dragon Magazine Annual #1:
    http://greyhawkonline.com/mortellan/ghfiles/tsroerth.gif
    Site Theocrat

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 pm  

Hi all -
    With the advent of 4e, Greyhawk is dead. We all knew something was amiss when they (WotC) made Paizo start removing the major Greyhawk references from their module series (Savage Tide and Kysus are so Greyhawk and all - but no mention of Greyhawk City). With Living Greyhawk not fleshing out the rest of the world you knew it wasn't going to happen - esp. since the fiasco that was Chainmail and it's "fleshed" out western lands.
    I will have to look through my files and upload maps. I have a folder full of them, tons. If I have NOT responded to your request by Monday March 3, please PM me to do so - otherwise I'll forget (trust me...I still have Allan's stuff to mail after what 6yrs?).
    Be Well. Be Well Mapped.
    Theocrat Issak

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:01 pm  

Hey Issak---On the plus side, I'll be in LV again in the fall, and we can catch up again for lunch/dinner, and I can pick up the other stuff :D

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:37 am  

...THE FOLKS WERE SCREAMIN',
    out of control,
    it was so entertaining...

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:56 pm  

You do realize that that map from Dragon is not canonical, right?

And even if it is, just because it's canon doesn't mean it's the true Greyhawk. Only you and your playing group decide what the "true" Greyhawk is.

That's what bothers me about Greyhawk fans sometimes-they seem so hidebound by canon that they go out of their way to make sure their campaigns don't contradict it, when they could just as easily make it up.

To me, something is canon only if I say it is canon. Sean K. Reynolds can write whatever he wants, but if I say it's not canon, then it has about as much relevance to Greyhawk as something written by Ed Greenwood.

Of course, what I say is canon may not necessarily be what Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Mortellan, DangerDwarf, GVDammerung, or others consider canon. If they say something is canon as far as it applies to their canon writings, then I take it to mean that it well and truly is canon.

Gary Gygax said that part of the original reason he left Greyhawk sketchy was for DMs to fill in their own details. That should be the overriding attitude of Greyhawk fans, IMO-you can and should cherry-pick what you like from canon, and throw the rest out the window.
    Site Theocrat

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 pm  
    Town Criers...

Hi all -
    Town Criers never work as well as a Phanticial Religious Phantics.
    That said, I've always been a fan of WotC killing off Greyhawk - going back to the dark ages of Greyhawk. As owner of GreyhawkOnline.com, the OerthJournal.com, ThePale.org and member of the Thursday Group I'm pretty sure I am one of those people that you may be calling to the center of the market - however, I've already got my stall and have been there since the beginning. That would be the reason I have a nice collection of Greyhawk stuff that some may not have. I still haven't looked in my folder for GH maps, but I will, as I know I have a couple from Rick (OJ editor) and TalMeta's globe.
    But my Phantical Palites Will Resoundly Offer You a Path to Righteousness -
    Theocrat Issak

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:20 pm  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    You do realize that that map from Dragon is not canonical, right?

The names on it are not. The map itself is, it was made so when it was used as an inset on the D&D Gaz and Living Greyhawk Gaz maps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:23 pm  

Reminder folks.

Vulgarity, even when masked, is now allowed here.

Flaming is not either, even wotc. You can criticize them without being insulting.

Thank You.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:27 am  

ratlord wrote:
    Vulgarity, even when masked, is now allowed here.

That's great f***** news! Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:03 am  

I always wanted to use Rich's map of Mystara-Oerth as the world map myself...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 pm  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    I always wanted to use Rich's map of Mystara-Oerth as the world map myself...

Is there a link for that? I'd like to see it.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 pm  

try: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=658&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1

download the full version to see it all.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: