ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Castle Estival
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Castle Estival
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm  
    Castle Estival

Hello all,

It has been a while since I posted. My players' attentions have shifted back to Fantasy/Sword-n-Sorcery roleplaying. We are beginning in Verbobonc with focus on the Iron Wood. On a map supplied to me by a player (I suspect came from the Verbobonc Yahoo Group website), there is mention of Castle Estival.

Can anyone tell me about it?

I appreciate any added thots that you may share regarding the Iron Wood itself as well. Happy

Please and thank you.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 pm  

Skech,

It gets one mention on page 132 of the LGG, in relation to the Short War;

"Saved from annexation by the Treaty of Devarnish, much of the western land of the viscounty was nonetheless occupied. The looming Castle Estival, just east of the Iron Woodm is a telling example of how deeply the soldiers of Keoland influenced the region in the mid-fourth century CY." I'm assuming this means Castle Estival was built by the Verboboncers/Verbish? to defend against Keoish soldiers and not the other way around.

The Iron Wood is generally avoided and is said to be haunted by lycanthropes. The adventure "Serenade Before Supper" in Dungeon # 53 is set at least partially in the Iron Wood and may include more details of the area, although I don't have that issue, so I can't say for sure.

Hope this helps some.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:16 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    The Iron Wood is generally avoided and is said to be haunted by lycanthropes. The adventure "Serenade Before Supper" in Dungeon # 53 is set at least partially in the Iron Wood and may include more details of the area, although I don't have that issue, so I can't say for sure.

The adventure is indeed set at an inn within the Iron Wood. An area map is included.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:45 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    "Saved from annexation by the Treaty of Devarnish, much of the western land of the viscounty was nonetheless occupied. The looming Castle Estival, just east of the Iron Wood, is a telling example of how deeply the soldiers of Keoland influenced the region in the mid-fourth century CY." I'm assuming this means Castle Estival was built by the Verboboncers/Verbish? to defend against Keoish soldiers and not the other way around.

Surely it was the other way around. I can't imagine an occupying force permitting the local insurgents to erect something so obvious and involved as a castle, but I can easily imagine an occupying army needing a base.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: