Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - No CoG Boxed Set at SVgames?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    No CoG Boxed Set at SVgames?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:02 am  
    No CoG Boxed Set at SVgames?

Recently I decided to dust off the old 2e Greyhawk source materials I've had on my bookshelf for years and run a campaign. Much to my delight a quick search on the internet revealed that almost all of the out of print material that was released during the Sargent era (I'm a former FtA DM, please no flaming!) was digitized and put up for sale in PDF format at svgames.com.

While I was able to secure Iuz the Evil and the Marklands (two books which I had given up hope finding ten years ago), to my chagrin the elusive City of Greyhawk boxed set was nowhere to be found! They even had a PDF of the Greyhawk Wars "boxed set" which from what I understand, was hardly a boxed set at all.

I was able to find a reasonably-priced used set on Amazon though I doubt the quality is of high repute. Nevertheless for me the important thing is the source material. I wonder, has anyone seen or heard of a CoG set in PDF format? Did WoTC never get around to scanning it? Has anyone appealed to them to do so? Several reviews I read of CoG said it was a must have to people intent on running a city-based campaign. Plus, lots of the information in FtA refers to CoG entries. Can anyone offer any insight? I apologize if this is a redundant post. I did a quick search of the forums and didn't find anything like it yet.
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:15 am  

Quote:
    I wonder, has anyone seen or heard of a CoG set in PDF format?

There is no legal pdf of the CoG Box, the pdf project was scrapped before they got around to scanning it in.

Quote:
    Can anyone offer any insight?

I found a VG rated CoG at nobleknight for a reasonable $45.00 and right now you can get a free Garden of the Plantmaster or To the Far Shore.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetail.asp_Q_ProductID_E_72_A_InventoryID_E_2147398223_A_ProductLineID_E_8_A_ManufacturerID_E_1_A_CategoryID_E_12_A_GenreID_E_

Quote:
    (I'm a former FtA DM, please no flaming!)

Quoting the Canonfire FAQ...
    Quote:
    Canonfire! is a portal site/webzine produced by the members of the GREYtalk Mailing List. It is an interactive place to post and read news, articles, and archive material focusing primarily on the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting. Furthermore, Canonfire! is editionless (or rather editionfull) catering to all editions and/or game systems as well as all products Greyhawk.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:32 am  

Well that's unfortunate news. I would have been nice to have had it scanned. Thank you for the link. It seems this is a hot item. I've seen some online retailers charging over $75 USD for it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:51 am  

May I suggest Ebay, I have seen the CoG boxset go for under $15, and sometimes on the UK site, around £10. At least thats what I paid for mine a few months back.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:01 am  

I've seen near mint CoG boxed sets go for about $35 on Ebay before. Of course, naturally, a mint still the shrink can go higher. I go there to get all my OOP stuff. Out of habit I suppose, and because I've never had any trouble from the sellers I regularly deal with. I got CoG in the shrink there and took personal offense at another bidder bidding in the last five minutes so, I uh...well...it got ugly in the last twenty seconds. And no, I won't tell you how much I paid just to prove that I couldn't be beaten. Wink So, I find Ebay a good source, but it's dangerous if you're of a competative nature.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:03 am  
    Re: No CoG Boxed Set at SVgames?

Lord_Penetron wrote:
    I wonder, has anyone seen or heard of a CoG set in PDF format? Did WoTC never get around to scanning it? Has anyone appealed to them to do so?

Bastion Press (headed up by Jim Butler, the ex-WotC guy who was in charge of the PDF scanning at WotC) took over the scanning of OOP material on contract from WotC.

Late last year or early this year they were told by WotC to stop scanning all material immediately (for whatever reason, I do not know). They had most of the AD&D stuff done, but were unable to obtain a complete copy of the CoG boxset before the program was nixed. It is too bad because they were completeing the Gamma World genre also and would have moved on to Star Frontiers, Top Secret and other old TSR products.

I posed the same question to Mr. Butler when the announcement that they were stopping came out and he replied only that they would not be doing any more scanning and whatever was done is the end of it. I've made several appeals to people at WotC to ask about continuing this program, but have just got the standard form-letter reply. I believe this was the only Greyhawk product not scanned if my memory serves me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:35 am  
    Re: No CoG Boxed Set at SVgames?

donimator wrote:
    Late last year or early this year they were told by WotC to stop scanning all material immediately (for whatever reason, I do not know).

I would assume because it could potentially cut into 3/3.5e revenues. If a kid has got a decent internet connection and $100 to spend he could get A LOT more bang for the buck going with PDF out of print 1e or 2e materials.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: