Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gen Con Greyhawk Panel?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Gen Con Greyhawk Panel?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:36 am  
    Gen Con Greyhawk Panel?

Forgive if this has already been discussed, but one of the things I'd like to see at Gen Con Indy one year is sort of a "Greyhawk Q&A" seminar, as well as perhaps an "Intro To Greyhawk" seminar, featuring some of the talent that's worked on GH over the years, as well as some of the setting experts.

I've seen Dragonlance and the Realms both get this treatment in years past (not to mention a few other settings), and thought it'd be nice to see GH get some representation, if there were folks willing to step up and do it. Frankly, I've never done anything of note and my GH-fu pales in comparison to many of the worthies on this site, but you could best believe that'd be a seminar I'd attend.

Ideas on who'd be up for this sort of thing? Pros/Cons, thoughts, etc.?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:45 am  

You're actually a few years late, since the last "formal" seminar of this type was some time ago (at least, the last one I know of personally). However, at the last GenCon several folks gave an "informal" seminar, including Oerth Journal's notorious Duicarthan among others.

By "informal" I mean non-WotC-sponsored, of course.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:15 am  

bubbagump wrote:

By "informal" I mean non-WotC-sponsored, of course.

And I am totally fine with that (well, if it ISN'T going to be sponsored, so long as the torch is kept burning, right?). Happy

I guess I just missed it last year in the events list, then. Anyone know if its looking like there will be another one this year?
    CF Admin

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:39 pm  

Rob Kuntz ran a seminar last year at GenCon, and we're in the process of figuring out his events/seminars schedule for this year.

I'd love to see some sort of seminar for GH---whether by the fans for the fans, or with RJK and other pros involved (or both!---no reason we couldn't have both :D :D).

I'm also starting to work up outlines/ideas for a large, multi-round Greyhawk non-4e tourney for GenCon, just to let WotC know know that we're not dead, even when they say we are :D (Hmmm, perhaps some "GH---I'm not dead yet" T-shirts would also be in order....).

Anyone else have some GenCon ideas for GH? :D

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:33 pm  

No ideas per se, but I will be at this next Gencon all four days by gum!
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:35 pm  

There was an informal Greyhawk "meet-up" last year, but only three of us--Duicarthan, GVD, & myself--were able to make it. We were talking in the GH chat a week or two later about organizing something more formal: ie, getting the event in the con booklet, etc. One reason, rather than to socialize w/ fellow Greyhawkers, was to attract Living Greyhawkers who weren't GH fans before LG, & who weren't interested in jumping onto the RPGA's new living FR campaign.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:56 pm  

Well, I know I'm new on the boards, but I'd love to see some GH events and a seminar in the actual catalog of events, especially in light of what's happening with LG, and would be glad to assist if at all possible. With that chapter of the RPGA ending, you think there'd be some folks looking to carry on adventuring in GH, and finding resources to trade ideas on GH, discuss, and do so.

And I love the T-Shirt idea. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:39 pm  

Well I would have to say count me in for the meetup... sorry I missed last year but I never caught on to a final meet spot... totally my fault.

Love the TShirt idea as well!!! Order me 2!
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:51 am  

One of my goals this year is to attend Gen Con; count me in for a GH meet-up. I would love to see some of the great folks, fans and pros alike, behind the World of Greyhawk!

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:58 am  

I should be around this year, barring an involuntary extension...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:28 pm  

I will be there this year, and would definetely like to attend a GH get-together.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:31 pm  

So, has anyone on the boards scheduled/ran a GenCon event before? What do we have to do?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:29 am  

Hello All,

Just a heads up, GenCon, LLC has filed Chapter 11 proceedings. GenCon Indy is unaffected by this but I thought I would give everyone a heads up:

Where I saw it first:
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=219262

GenCon LLC Press Release:
    http://www.gencon.com/2008/corporate/news-pr/releases/2008/2008.02.15.Press.aspx
    NOTE: \. effect seems to be in place, the site is not responding.

I am speculating that Lucas Films' lawsuit against GenCon might have somethign to do with this...
    http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=24800

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    CF Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 pm  

I'll be scheduling some events for PPP soon, and would be happy to submit something for the GH crowd.

While working on some long-overdue updates to my web site, it occurred to me that this is the 30th anniversary of the publication of the G and D modules, which were also run as tourneys at the summer cons of 1978: we could bring back some of the best GH adventures ever.

The added benefit of that is that a) many DMs would already know the material, and b) we wouldn't have to fold the project on the basis of not being able to organize a giant writing endeavor like that. The downside, of course, is that the modules are published and relatively well-known, but we could get by, perhaps, by announcing the tourney but not the actual adventure titles.

On the plus side, I've already converted most of the GD pregen PCs onto a .pdf'd version of the 1977 character sheets @
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/TSR_character_sheets_1977-gray-BC_and_WW_PPP_GenCon2007.zip (I'd want to clean up a few errors we discovered running these PCs @ GenCon last year, but that wouldn't take long).

Thoughts? :D

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:01 pm  

grodog wrote:
    I'll be scheduling some events for PPP soon, and would be happy to submit something for the GH crowd.

That would be great, 'dog!

grodog wrote:
    While working on some long-overdue updates to my web site, it occurred to me that this is the 30th anniversary of the publication of the G and D modules, which were also run as tourneys at the summer cons of 1978: we could bring back some of the best GH adventures ever.

The added benefit of that is that a) many DMs would already know the material, and b) we wouldn't have to fold the project on the basis of not being able to organize a giant writing endeavor like that. The downside, of course, is that the modules are published and relatively well-known, but we could get by, perhaps, by announcing the tourney but not the actual adventure titles.

On the plus side, I've already converted most of the GD pregen PCs onto a .pdf'd version of the 1977 character sheets @
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/TSR_character_sheets_1977-gray-BC_and_WW_PPP_GenCon2007.zip (I'd want to clean up a few errors we discovered running these PCs @ GenCon last year, but that wouldn't take long).

Thoughts? :D

If someone wants to do this, it's be great, but I think any gaming should be separate from the "Greyhawk panel" event, which ideally, would be a free, Q&A, meet & greet/networking sort of event. Of course, that's just me--everyone else may have something else in mind.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 pm  

I am not going to be going to Gen Con (baring a miricle) this year.
    But if anything ever comes of your "Greyhawk--I'm not dead yet!" shirt idea, let me know I would love to order one Allan.
    CF Admin

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 pm  

Well, I don't think I could sell Greyhawk shirts at GenCon without almost immediately being told to stop by WotC, but "GH---I'm not dead yet!" shirts, on the other hand, could probably be managed nicely. I'll have to think about this :D :D

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:56 am  

I'd like a shirt. And hopefully if Dethand shows will get this whole Knight of the Red Garter thing off the ground.

Also, I'd love to actually be able to play the Against the Giants mods, I've read'em but never played or DM"d them
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:32 am  

I'll be at GenCon for the first time in years this year. I'll watch this place for any GH related events. I'm in for a t-shirt too, if it happens.
    CF Admin

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:21 am  
    GH Meet-Up

Hi, all.

I shall be at Gen Con Indy this August, too. I fully support at the very least a GH meet-up/dine out. Shall we try to organize the same meeting place as last year? Where did the three GH patrons meet last year?

I'll offer my efforts as a judge if Alan can arrange some kind of 30th G/D Series Anniversary gaming slots. Anything we can to to help beyond that, Alan?

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:23 pm  

I'll be at GenCon too.

Mike
    CF Admin

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:40 pm  
    Re: GH Meet-Up

Greyson wrote:
    I fully support at the very least a GH meet-up/dine out. Shall we try to organize the same meeting place as last year? Where did the three GH patrons meet last year?

A GH dinner's a great idea, though I can't help on where the GH gathering was last year, since I missed it :(

Greyson wrote:
    I'll offer my efforts as a judge if Alan can arrange some kind of 30th G/D Series Anniversary gaming slots. Anything we can to to help beyond that, Alan?

Not sure, Don: I'm hoping to coordinate some sort of GH event(s) with Rob for GenCon, but he's on vacation this week, so I'll have to wait until next week to catch up and see about what he wants to do on that front: it would be fun to have him run the final round, perhaps!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 pm  
    Any Interst in this?

Hey, all.

Is there any interest in a Gen Con Indy CF/GH meet-up? I'll be there this year, getting in on Wednesday night.

Let me know, I'd love to hook up for a dine-out, or just hang out somewhere on the hotel sometime during the weekend.

Don (Greyson)
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 pm  

Unfortunately I'm not attending GC this year. Hopefully next year.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:04 pm  
    Re: Any Interst in this?

Greyson wrote:
    Hey, all.

Is there any interest in a Gen Con Indy CF/GH meet-up? I'll be there this year, getting in on Wednesday night.

Let me know, I'd love to hook up for a dine-out, or just hang out somewhere on the hotel sometime during the weekend.

Don (Greyson)

I'm down for this. I'll be getting in on Thursday morning probably.

Why don't we meet around 5:00 or so on Friday in front of the main registration area? Or we can pick another day or time, if Friday at 5 is bad for everyone.

I'll be the skinny longhair; there's a strong possibility I'll be wearing a kilt, too.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:12 pm  

Looking through this thread, it appears the following 'hawkers will be at GenCon this year:

zacharythefirst

mortellan

Garnak

gargoyle

Tiernan

Artalian

NightOtter

Greyson

Qstor

and myself.

Anyone interested can PM me for my cell #.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:38 pm  

Sorry Rob I feel as if I dropped the ball. I didn't see anyone on the list when I was there, did anyone else fare better? Any good stories?
    CF Admin

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 pm  
    Bummer!

Well, bummer. I did not see Rob's post until I got back home today. I was there, and kept pretty busy. If I was at a table with any Canonfire! folks, I didn't know.

Perhaps we can try again next year. I'll be at D&DXP in February, too.

Don (Greyson)
    CF Admin

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:57 pm  

I'm hoping to attend next year again, and will get a GH seminar in the works for sure :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: