Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The 2008 Canonfire Challenge!!!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The 2008 Canonfire Challenge!!!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:45 pm  
    The 2008 Canonfire Challenge!!!

Greetings fellow Greyhawkers and more specifically Canonfire patrons, I have a proposal.

My proposal derives from noting how few new article submissions Canonfire has in its que awaiting publication to the front page. That number is now but six. This means articles on the front page will not freshen as quickly because the supply of articles is limited.

To offer a comparison, in my memory, I recall the que regularly (but not in the last two years) having 12 to 18 articles waiting to be published at any time. Then, the frontpage refreshed with a new article every 3 or 4 days! Now, the front page refreshens much less often.

With Greyhawk now “dead” again, I think offering readers more reasons to visit Canonfire more often would be a good thing. Thus, I propose the 2008 CANONFIRE CHALLENGE!

The challenge is this: Commit to submitting a new article to Canonfire once -

1) Every Month (12 times per year);
    2) Every 2 Months (6 times per year);
    3) Every 3 months (4 times per year); or
    4) Every 4 momths (3 times per year).

Obviously, not everyone will be able make such a commitment but if only 3 people committed to Option 1 (Every Month), 3 people committed to Option 2 (Every 2 Months), 3 people committed to Option 3 (Every 3 Months) and 3 people committed to Option 4 (Every 4 Months) - we are only talking 12 people here total - a Canonfire Challenge would generate 75 articles every year or 6 plus articles per month. The front page would then be able to refresh at a rate better than once a week! And this doesn’t count folks who would submit outside of the Canonfire Challenge.

So, I will get the ball rolling for the 2008 Canonfire Challenge - I commit to submitting an article every month for 2008.

Who’s next? You’ve got four options. The example numbers used above are just that. We can have any number of people at each of the various option levels.

You pick your own topic - whatever you want to write on and submit is fine. The topics are _not_ predetermined. YOU choose what YOU want to write about!

Who will take up the Canonfire Challenge?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:08 pm  

How about a monthly topic? Perhaps it would rotate among the different article types, which need to be paired down and consolidated in my opinion. 12 classifications ought to be enough anyways.

Otherwise people can always do whatever they have a wild hair to do, but monthly topics might serve to create a bit more focus for some writers.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:41 am  

A monthly topic sounds like a stellar idea, Cebrion! Kind of a mini-postfest. Sorry I haven't submitted anything; when I was on Greytalk, I used to. Smile I just haven't felt very WoG-y of late. Sad And a lot of my ideas are heretical. Cool Lets see what we can do...

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:10 am  
    I'm In

GVDammerung wrote:
    Who will take up the Canonfire Challenge?

It's about time I contributed to content. Put me down for Glenn's Option 1. There is a stack of Living Greyhawk material that shall not be accommodated by campaign's end. Might as well share it with the Greyhawk community at-large.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 pm  
    Pathhawk

Hi all -
    Not that I'm going to write it....but I would like to see one of you most excellent authors write modifications to Paizo's Galarion setting for Greyhawk.
    Such as Pathfinder issue 3 has some Fort - which someone (on Paizo's board) referenced could be placed in GH very easily. Quite Possibly.
    I'm saying that someone (like Greyson [just to abuse his name]) would review Pathfind 1-3 (and subsequent issues) and find the Best Greyhawk place to set the adventure. Subsequent issues would also have to be reviewed - to Greyhawk them. Referencing our history and modifing the Pathfinder article to fit within "canon" and "canonical" Greyhawk setting.

As it stands now, I mentioned on the Paizo boards (is Paizo moving to 4e?) that Pathfinder is neat, but as a Greyhawk Culturist it's pointless to me and I'm unlikely to continue to purchase after this AP.
    This has nothing to do with editions. This is the meat of what makes Greyhawk - Greyhawk. The person doesn't have to modify the stat blocks or even the adventure - just the regional infomration to make it fit in Greyhawk.
    And NO. NO. It's not gonna be me. I can barely read as it is. ****, I'm so far behind I'm certain I told Gro-daddy-dog I'd mail his stuff 2 years ago.

My only concern about the CF Challenge (can I make t-shirts?, hmm, I just might be willing to do that!) is that it doesn't affect the Oerth Journal (and we need to convince Rick *not* to move to 4e) and their stable of articles.
    Be Well. Be Well Thanks'd.
    Theocrat Issak

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:44 pm  

upf2

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:34 am  

You can put me down for Option 4. I've got some stuff written, sitting back in the States. I go on leave next month, so I can put something out, come back here to ar Ramadi for a few more then crank out the Deepstil mini campaign setting.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:50 pm  

Since most of the responses to my postfest article have been encouraging; I would be willing to contribute. That is if the community feels they are up to the standards for canonfire articles.

As to Cebrions point; personally I would welcome a suggestion topic area to focus the writing and length of the articles.
    CF Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:31 pm  
    Re: Pathhawk

TheocratIssak wrote:
    And NO. NO. It's not gonna be me. I can barely read as it is. ****, I'm so far behind I'm certain I told Gro-daddy-dog I'd mail his stuff 2 years ago.

Probably about that, Issak ;)

I'm well-overdue to get some more content onto my site and to CF!, and I have a plethora of stuff in my GH gaming journal that's really aching for me to codify, organize, and finish it. So, I'll commit to one piece per two months, starting in January 2008.

Perhaps it's time I updated my Excerpts from the Demonomicon of Iggwilv series again....

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 am  

I'll commit to an article every two months but will aim for one a month. As I've posted before, I've got loads of stuff handwritten from twenty years back that is begging to be organised and typed up.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:31 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Since most of the responses to my postfest article have been encouraging; I would be willing to contribute. That is if the community feels they are up to the standards for canonfire articles.

As to Cebrions point; personally I would welcome a suggestion topic area to focus the writing and length of the articles.

I think your Unofficial Postfest articles were well received. What option would you prefer?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:41 pm  

So far, we've got:

GVD - Option 1 - Every Month/12 Times Per Year
    Greyson - Option 1 - Every Month/12 Times Per Year
    Grodog - Option 2 - Every Two Months/6 Times Per Year
    Flint - Option 2 - Every Two Months/6 Times Per year (Poss Option 1)
    Tiernan - Option 4 - Every Four Months/3 Times Per Year

Outstanding! Thanks to each of you for stepping up!

As my preference is for each contrbutor to choose their own topics, I'll demure on suggested topics per se but offer a suggestion for those who would like to work with topics. With respect to possible topics mentioned by Cebrion and Gargoyle, maybe Wolfsire could come up with a list, perhaps in conjunction with future Unofficial Postfests?

Now, who's next? Come on! Happy I know there are more folks out there who are going to contribute 3 or more articles in 2008!

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:55 am  

My suggested topics are generic.

January- Rogues Gallery
    February- Magic Items
    March- Factions
    April- Oerth and Altar

etc.

People would still do whatever they want to, but on any given month we would just be more likley to see more submissions of a certian type. Call it "Theme of the Month" or something like that. Just a theme; not a hard and fast submission guideline.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:25 pm  

If you are going to jump; it might as well be the deep end Wink

Option 1

Ps. How will this effect future postfests or the OJ; some articles could overlap topics.
    CF Admin

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:06 pm  

I sketched out another submission this morning, while doodling with Ethan. I'll get one in queue soon :D

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:20 pm  

I've actually been thinking about posting a few things myself. I'll not make a commitment yet since my business life is so hectic right now, but I'll definitely try to put something together.

On a related subject: What are the rules for posting updated 1e/2e materials or other previously published materials that have been modified to accommodate Greyhawk? I've been asked for such on other boards, but I haven't seen anything like that here so I was wondering if maybe that was a big CF no-no or something.
    CF Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:31 pm  

CF! is edition independent, bg, so you should be able to post to your heart's content IIRC.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm  

So if I wanted to take a non-GH 1e mod, update it to 3.5e, rewrite it to be GH-specific, and post it to CF that would be okay?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    So if I wanted to take a non-GH 1e mod, update it to 3.5e, rewrite it to be GH-specific, and post it to CF that would be okay?

Basically, yes. The conversion document must require the use of the original module though. In other words, you can't recreate the entire module, including flavor text, maps, images, etc.

Check out the official WotC conversion guidelines:

http://wizards.com/d20/files/ESDpolicy.rtf
    CF Admin

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:38 pm  

Rich, WotC's conversion guidelines wouldn't apply to non-WotC, non-GH content, right (like, say, converting Necromancer's Tomb of Abysthor to Greyhawk)??

That's what I thought bg was asking about, anyway.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 pm  
    Right

grodog wrote:
    Rich, WotC's conversion guidelines wouldn't apply to non-WotC, non-GH content, right (like, say, converting Necromancer's Tomb of Abysthor to Greyhawk)?

Alan, you are right - the d20 ESD Conversion License only applies to copyrighted material owned by Wizards of the Coast. Necromancer Games might have their own license for conversion, though. Or, they may not. But, in your case, the use of proper names from Greyhawk would still revert your "document" to Wizards of the Coast's control and you'd need to add the legal copy from the license, anyway.

Keep in mind that the ESD Conversion License only allows one to convert and post stat blocks to 3rd Edition from ESD products. You may not include text, proper names or any other copy in conversions. And, don't forget to include the ESD license's legal copy and required insertions for Section 15.

Other than that, it's easy, lol.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:22 pm  

I'm a little later than originally planned (I thought that my article on Zagyg's potions was a bit further along than it turned out to be...), but I submitted my first of at least six pieces this morning.

Relatedly, I can't believe that it's already been three+ years since my last submission, too... Anyway, in addition to the potions article, I've got several other quasi-deity related articles sketched (spells/magic items), along with "Gates in the World of Greyhawk, Part II", some additional notes on Iggwilv and S4 (which may just end up on my web page, or perhaps turn into articles), and some notes on what I want to do with my old "Necronomicon in the Flanaess Part II" article too.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep up the every-two months schedule, though boy #2 is due at the beginning of April, so we'll see ;)

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:41 am  

I'm going to have t9 hold off til June b4 I can put anything in. Being 4,000+ miles away from all my books and notes makes it bit difficult.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:55 am  

I don't know that I am willing to commit to a schedule, But i should be able to submit more stuff this year.
    CF Admin

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:07 pm  

How's the article queue looking? I figured my piece would hit the site sooner than now??

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:25 pm  
    Back on track

grodog wrote:
    How's the article queue looking? I figured my piece would hit the site sooner than now??

I got the articles back on track and ready to post regularly starting tomorrow (Friday, 14 March). My extended stay in Washington DC during D&DXP totally interfered with my work at Canonfire! and on the Nyrond triad (not to mention real life!). But, everything is getting back to normal. So, things here should not experience any more delays.

Keep watching the home page...

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    CF Admin

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:29 pm  

Thanks Don :D I hope to write my next piece during my next week of paternity leave (though I haven't determined when exactly that will be yet).

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:09 am  

Just posted the last of my Salinmoor articles, concerning adventure locales, and the first article for me in 2008. Schooling got in the way, specifically managerial accounting. I hate it when real life interferes with pursuit of my hobbies. Laughing

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Just posted the last of my Salinmoor articles, concerning adventure locales, and the first article for me in 2008. Schooling got in the way, specifically managerial accounting. I hate it when real life interferes with pursuit of my hobbies. Laughing

Well, it is about time, young man. UPF was over months ago. Wink

Cant wait to see them. Laughing

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:11 pm  
    I'll post on an irregular basis

I have been avoiding this post for some time now, as my free time has taken a nose dive while my commitments have spiked off the charts.

But I will still commit to posting on an irregular basis. Maybe when I am taking my vacation I may slip in some writing time.

But let's see these posts coming!

O-D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: