JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Varisia and Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Varisia and Greyhawk
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:12 am  
    Varisia and Greyhawk

Well, there have been repeated discussions on these boards about what we would like WOTC to provide for GH. Paizo's new product line, Starting with the Pathfinder Chronicles, is what I would have loved to see. If you have not seen all the support products that Paizo has created, you should check it out.

Varisia does not seem as large, diverse and complex as the Flaness, which would be good. After all, we dont want it all defined for us. Anyway, if I had my druthers about who would take over GH, Paizo would be my first choice.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 am  

Well I think Paizo would have loved to take it over if they had been allowed. That being said I am very fired up about the Paizo rules and will use them in my current Greyhawk world as it is just an easier transition. I'm also slowly weening the FR game crowd in my other game over to the Paizo Idea.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am  

Hey Vonbek,

I agree, the rules are nice, but what I like is the continuation of story and source books. I dont want to "evolve," systems every few years, I want to explore worlds. Thats what I think they have done a great job of doing.

I have not had a chance to read their rules revision, but I have heard good things about them.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 am  

Anced_Math wrote:
    Hey Vonbek,

I agree, the rules are nice, but what I like is the continuation of story and source books. I dont want to "evolve," systems every few years, I want to explore worlds. Thats what I think they have done a great job of doing.

I have not had a chance to read their rules revision, but I have heard good things about them.

So far from what they have they have made some overall good changes. especially with both experience and grouping some skills under one general skill. I like continuity too and will probably just adapt things they do for their world over to my campaign. After all these years I really just don't want to develop yet another world unless I'm doing my own.
    Site Theocrat

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:54 pm  
    Conversion?

Hi all -
    I too have the Pathfinder Subscription and just ordered the Korvosa setting, even though I have no desire to actually run anything but Greyhawk, and I have more than enough information for whatever I may run in the future (edition be damned).
    That said, when we do get re-started, I'll be running a 3.5/OGL game, but then I've realizec I've been doing that all along - since I allowed Green Ronin's Advanced Players Guide and other d20/OGL stuff. I do like some of the stuff from Pathfinder, but so far SKILLS are killing me. The idea is to be backwards compatible, but I'm concerned about how it will all work.
    But that aside, I'd love to see people putting Paizo's Galarion world into Greyhawk. Whether they say that it is part of the Western Flananess or it's another continent or what. I like it being part of the West, as it now gives us access to that land.
    But as with most things, I'm not that smart and converting it to Greyhawk isn't something that I can work intelligently on. I mean, I might be able to convert their gods to Greyhawk - but if we're making it a different continent or the West, then I don't see why they wouldn't have their own gods.
    But is it possible that Paizo's world fits in Greyhawk in some way?
    Or is this another topic thread elsewhere?

Be Well. Be Well Retrofited.
    Theocrat Issak

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:30 am  
    Galorian and Greyhawk

Anced_Math wrote:
    dont want to "evolve," systems every few years, I want to explore worlds.

That is a great gamer attitude, and says a lot (of good things) about you, AM. That's why I don't get too much in rules or edition debates. My passion is to, as you aptly put it, explore new places, people and things in any world or setting.

Galorian is an awesome place. It has so much potential. Its designers have imagined it well. With all due respect to Greyhawk, I think Galorian deserves its own place in the multiverse, apart from established settings we wanna fit it into. As a subscriber to Pathfinder and Pathfinder Chronicles, I see a lot of room for discovery in Paizo's setting just by itself. And, in an effort to put it delicately, I don't see any need to burden Galorian with the history, intrigues and other minutia from an other established setting. There is ample material on its own with plenty of room for DM development and interpretation.

Having said all of that, I certainly think it is okay and perfectly acceptable to work Chelax and Varisia (and other places yet to be revealed) into Oerth. And, any DM determined enough shall find a place of it on Oerth. I think the westerenmost reaches of Oerik sound like a great place. It can certainly be done, just takes some time and effort. Of course, a community like this doesn't hurt, either.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad - PoC
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm  

I agree with Greyson that Golarion merits consideration on its own merits.

Given its east/west orientation, parts of Golarian, certainly Varisia _could_ be appended to western Oerik easily.

I have not seen the Pathfinder Gaz yet, so I don't know, but it would be interesting if Mona designed Golarian so that more of it could attach to Oerik just off the Flanaess map. A Celestial Imperium like place to the east bordered by eastern mountains, Varisia in the far west, Osirion where "Erypt" is on the Oerik Dragon Annual Map etc. I'm going to guess that the thought never crossed his mind. It would be interesting if it worked out that way anyway, but I doubt it.

I am looking forward to the Pathfinder Gaz. Anyone know if it has been released yet?
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: