JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - [LG] Dominions of the Flannae
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    [LG] Dominions of the Flannae
    CF Admin

Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 pm  
    [LG] Dominions of the Flannae

Another Living Greyhawk article has been released. Mysterious Places: Dominions of the Flannae offers a historical review of past Flannish realms. Take a peek and let us know if the "list" looks good to you.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20080429a

Happy gaming.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:31 pm  

I gotta give it to Creighton, he has always done the Bright Desert region justice. This development on the ancient Flan tribes in Sulm's day is quite good and helps define what life was like back then.
    This part however is intriguing in that AFAIK he has created a whole new ancient civilization from scratch. a twisted civilization rose and fell upon the fertile plains of the Dragonshead Peninsula. Caerdiralor was a fell land dominated by Tiamat-worshipping priests and mystics. Obsessed with eradicating the dwarves and gnomes of the Headlands, the masters of Caerdiralor waged terrible war on them, giving no quarter. However, at the struggle’s climax Caerdiralor’s capital, Myrsyrna, was overtaken by a sudden and devastating catastrophe that all but wiped the city and the realm’s ruling elite from the face of the Oerth.
    The others have been mentioned in canon before but were undeveloped. The plus side is this culture is wiped out so it doesn't conflict with anything I'm aware of and it leads into how Sulm turns evil. All in all a great article for those of us who are Grey-historians.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 am  

Coool! Why is it that the Flan nations always seem to get the short end of the stick? They're either invaded (Tenh, Geoff, Rovers) or wiped out via magical cataclysms completely (Sulm, Tenh). Sure, they get to keep a near monopoly on the 'savage' tribes in swamp and hill regions but it seems rather mean of the writers to give the Oeridians all the most successful nations when we're in the Flanaess - the clue is in the name.

Even traditionally Flan gods are portrayed in artwork as being of light-skinned Suel or Oeridian appearance. Ok, the gods can appear how they like but even so it does suggest that some subconscious Flan-bashing is going on on some plane or another.

I suppose that the Theocracy and Sterich do have heavily mixed populations but their culture seems more Oeridian in flavour. Lets start a petition for the Flan to rise to power as the chosen race following the cataclysm caused by the Doomgrinder. Cool

Hail King Barrak I of Furyondy! Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 am  

Hey All,

Thanks for the nice words. The new, ancient civilization on the Dragonshead, however, was actually something I originally cooked up with Paul Looby back in 1999 at the start of the LG campaign to provide a backdrop for certain Onnwalish deep plots. TA small rumor in one of the early standalone LGJs about a wrecked Onnwallon vessel on the Bright Desert coast gave us the idea of transposing some elements of the background into the Bright Lands.

The progeny of the ancient civilization also plays a prominent role in several LG core adventures - the Sins of Ages Past series that deals with Onnwal, the Bright Desert and Ice Spire - and the Blight on Bright Sands series as well as the Restoration and Empire mini series. As some of these adventures are still in play, I won't say anything else at the moment except that poor Rary is *so* misunderstood...

Someday, I should definitely write an article on how it all links together. Happy
    Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:02 am  

Creighton wrote:
    Someday, I should definitely write an article on how it all links together. Happy

I'll hold you to that Creighton! :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: