JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Walking to Hyperboria
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Walking to Hyperboria
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 09, 2008 7:32 am  
    Walking to Hyperboria

I didn't want to hijack the weather thread so I'm moving this here.

rasgon wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:
    . Maybe I've missed the debate on this before but is the assumption that the "land" breaking up the Drawmij is pack ice or that the LGG doesn't really mean circumpolar in the strictest sense.

The Chainmail map shows an island chain where the Dragon Annual map shows an isthmus, so I assume it's pack ice.

Thanks Rasgon. You always have the straight dope (And a map to go along with it). I would think that the warm current comes from the Firelands except it would probably melt all that pack ice between there and Ekbir, so your fire elemental vortices theory sounds the best to me.

Hmmm. I wonder if there are certain times of the year (If you could survive the cold) that you could walk to Hyperboria. Anybody ever done anything with Hyperboria adventure-wise?

I'm rereading the entire Hellboy series and this makes me think of the theme of "Lovecraftian horrors in ancient temples at the top of the world" that runes through that storyline. Well, and Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.
    Forum Moderator

Fri May 09, 2008 10:10 pm  

I was running a mod in the Black Ice and this mid-level wizard wanted to teleport back to GHCity but he botched it by hundreds of miles. So I dropped them in Hyperboria. It was like out of the cold and into an even colder place I told them. I was high on the Frostburn supplement at the time so it was perfect. Not sure what else happened though.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat May 10, 2008 7:17 pm  

You gotta watch that Frostburn stuff man. You get too much and next thing you know you're waking up on your friends couch in your boxer shorts wearing a hollowed out pumpkin on your head. Sheesh... Smile

If you can dredge up any memories I'd love to hear what you did with it. It'd probably fit in perfectly in the Far North project.
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 11, 2008 11:31 am  

It's no suprirse that Mort doesn't want to talk about what really happened that game. From what I recall, I believe that all the PC's were elves (other than myself). The wizard casting the teleport spell was secretly working for the villain who had yet to be revealed. Once the PCs arrived in Hyperboria, they quickly discovered who they were up against. If my memory serves correctly, I believe he went by the initials KK or SC, anyway it was something like that. The wizard told everyone he made a mistake of some sorts with the spell and the party arrived in what was indeed a much colder place of Oerth.

I remember the events rather well because Mort was DMing and had this incredibly wicked smile all night and at the same time was whistling a seemingly out of the ordinary tune. What he didn't know is that I had my +5 video camera with and I shot footage of the events that transpired. Before anything terrible could happen to me, Istus whisked me away when I used the word of recall enchanted upon my my carpet of flying. I barely escaped with my life but am here to tell you the events of what really happened that fateful game.

Anyway, I turned the footage over to the Greyhawk Grumbler, and well here it is.......true story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-Mce9VpmY

And apparently certain kinds of weapons work in Hyperboria.

Sun May 11, 2008 7:53 pm  

Dang, I was hoping for the infamous "Lightning Bolt" video.
    Forum Moderator

Sun May 11, 2008 10:03 pm  

Hardy har har. Or should that be ho ho ho? Eileen, giving out my DM secrets. TSK! You are just asking for some mortellan-ish payback aren't you?

And to set the record straight, the subplot for being in the cold north involved servants of Dragotha seeking white dragons to join an unholy-alliance.
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 11, 2008 10:24 pm  

Mortellan said:
    Quote:
    And to set the record straight, the subplot for being in the cold north involved servants of Dragotha seeking white dragons to join an unholy-alliance.

Uh-huh, you say that now but what about earlier when you "supposedly" couldn't recall the events which transpired. Had to go look in your notes I bet, or even call up one of these elves who obviously now works in the postal service, got it on video Mort, Greyhawk Grumbler is on to you and your sneaky ways! Happy

Mortellan also said:
    Quote:
    Hardy har har. Or should that be ho ho ho? Eileen, giving out my DM secrets. TSK! You are just asking for some mortellan-ish payback aren't you?

Just be gentle! Cool

Mon May 12, 2008 1:29 am  

So, Eileen is your sister! The DM's failure is now complete. If you will not join the Dark God then perhaps...she...will.

Mon May 12, 2008 4:56 am  

*hissss* Mort...! Mort...! *hawwwrrrrrr* I know what you're getting for Christmas!! *hisssshawwrrrr*

Mort! *hissssss* I have felt your presence...!

Last edited by Amalric on Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 am  

Hmph. She is not yet a sitemod. Cannot be trained. Too set in her ways, she is.
    Forum Moderator

Mon May 12, 2008 5:36 am  

*waves hand*
    This is not the site mod you are looking for...
    Move along...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue May 13, 2008 5:06 am  

DANG!!! I made the avatar too big so it didn't show up! The previous post is *MUCH* better when viewed alongside my altered avatar. Laughing

Back to Hyperborea though. Are you planning on writing up some sort of article on adventuring to Hyperborea smillan? This would be the perfect type or aticle for OJ #26 by the way, which will not only feature "Beyond the Flanaess" articles, but likely a Winter theme as well. Basically, I am double-dog-daring you(an appropriate dare considering your avatar history) and others to make editing and puting together this issue that much tougher on Rick and myself by helping to push OJ #26 over the 100-page mark for the first time. Shocked I may even submit an article or two for this issue myself. I have four articles in the works that suits this theme(none on Hyperborea though, so get to writing ya lazy git!), but we'll see what I can get done by then.

(I hope Rick doesn't read this Laughing )

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue May 13, 2008 8:30 am  

Man... The dreaded double dog dare. I guess now I have to do it. Yeah I was thinking of doing a Hellboy/Lovecraft-inspired forgotten frozen temple at the top of the world thing. All tied in with the big T and Elder Evils ( I just got that book. Kind of disappointed so far, but it gets the juices flowing). Maybe an adventure, maybe just an article.

Awesome new avatar BTW. You are strong with the Farce.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:16 pm  

Is there anything else out there on Hyperboria or is this something you have to develop as needed?

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:15 am  

http://web.archive.org/web/20020604103528/http://216.10.17.109/ From the old Codex of Greyhawk site, "A Brief Overview of Hyperboria" by Jim Lanter. Go to the Geography tab and search down the list to Hyperborea. It's rather short but then again, its an overview. :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 am  

Thank you. This does help.

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: