JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - March of Sterich
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    March of Sterich
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 23, 2008 3:58 am  
    March of Sterich

I'm still working on my gazeteer - currently on the Lost Lands of Geoff and Sterich.

Does anybody know when Sterich is supposed to have been founded? LGG entry for Keoland states that it was settled after -242 CY but before Gran March on -161 CY (and Gran March is cited as one of the oldest vassal states of Keoland in its own entry). Sterich entry says it was settled as a client state of Keoland by relatives of the Grand Duke of Geoff. Geoff Entry says that Geoff was incorporated into Keoland 316 CY. So, in there was no Duke of Geoff until 316 CY, although the family would have existed (and its ruler was known as the Brenin). Earliest dated entry for Sterich is 375 CY.

Sooo we can assume that there was human settlers in Sterich from around -240 CY if not Flan settlers long before then, but was it formally incorporated into Keoland by relatives of the Brenin who wanted to forge an alliance with Keoland around this time or did Keoland install the family shortly after Geoff was absorbed?
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 23, 2008 6:33 am  

Aha! Found the answer in the Sheldomar Timeline article. Thanks to all the eminent sages who worked on that gem!

Laterzzz
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 24, 2008 4:26 am  

PaulN6,

Here is the material that I compiled from various sources (Gazetteer, LLG) and direct correspondence about 18 months ago. It is based on Greg Vaughn's and Eric Mona's ideas for Paizo's Dungeon adventures #117-119. If you feel that Paizo is a credible source for "canon" material then so is what follows. This material has corrections that fix mistakes in the printed issues that came from editorial errors at the time of printing according to Greg Vaughn. Some dates are implied, however, and I have done my best to sort theme out. The settlement date is firm according to Eric, as I recall.

Sterich’s Timeline

CY Event
    -230 Sterich is settled as a client state of Keoland. Qualtaine becomes the first Earl of Sterich.

375 Fenwick Astakane of Skipperton makes critical notes about Sterich’s nobility and peasants in his book "Travels".

573 Querchard travels to Zahind and meets Resbin Dren.

574 Querchard and Resbin are married in Istivin.

575 Querchard becomes the new Earl after his fathers death.

576 Lolth and her giant cronies attack Sterich, but are thwarted by Frush O’Suggill and his adventuring company.

584 Giant King Galmoor and his servants swarmed down from the Jotens and Crystalmists and overrun Sterich. The Earl and his wife escape to Keoland and begin a reclamation plan.

585 Earl of Sterich is made Margrave by King of Keoland.

585 With Keoland’s support, Fitela is liberated.

586 Istivin is liberated on the 14th of Flocktime and is restored to power by Readying.

587 In Patchwall, the Heartlands are liberated. Count Darrishen Hartson of Keoland seeks glory in his efforts to liberate Sterich.

588 By Coldeven, all of Sterich is liberated and cleared of all invaders. Garinac is the last county to be freed. The conquered and occupied dwarven citadel of Num-Theraz, becomes a rallying point for many humanoid tribes.

590 A “shadow” falls over Istivin; its citizens are plagued by mysterious disappearances. One of these victims is the Margrave himself. His wife, Resbin Dren Emondav takes command, and rules as the Marchioness of Sterich.

591 Early Spring – The Marchioness declares the western barony of Astrakan to be her personal property hereafter. The Lord baron of Astrakan, Harker Elvenac is presumed dead, and his cousins, Errin Van Malligan and Vurrus Kline are feuding over his will’s distribution of land and personal wealth. His land is exceptionally fertile. This act by the Marchioness puts an end to the squabbling.

Mid-Spring – Lindus Mallaman, ranking priest of Heironeous is found dead. He was a leading figure in the city’s religious community and the strongest proponent of the Purifier Faction (citizens that believe that city has changed in some evil fashion during the occupation). He was found hanging by his feet from the basalt statue of Heironeous, his hands missing and his body charred by electricity. The statue seeped blood from its wrists for three days thereafter.

Late Spring- Dwarven Prince Durrok Korend of Num-Theraz (Cinderforge in common) sets up a base of operations in the western town of Ilaren. He and his small dwur army and the company of halberdiers of the Marchioness fair poorly in their initial attempt to reclaim the citadel. The halberdiers folded quickly under the endless waves of orcs and gnolls. Dwur of the neighboring states have yet to respond to the Prince’s request for aid.

General Commnader of the Army of the March Tybold Borm falls to an assassin’s knife. Distinguished war hero Griffage Terpin is appointed his successor by the Marchioness.

594 “Istivin: City of Shadows”, Dungeon #117 – 119

The Marchioness has set a deadline for the end of the year for all land-holding nobles of Sterich to make claim of their land at court in Istivin.

I hope this helps. If I have made a mistake, please, inform me.

Cheers!
    Master Greytalker

Sat May 24, 2008 7:00 am  

How (if at all) were Queen of Spiders and Liberation of Geoff ever reconciled in canon? I thought GDQ 1–7 had been dated c. 580 CY at one point, in order to allow for the T1–4 / A1–4 / GDQ 1–7 megacampaign.
    Master Greytalker

Sat May 24, 2008 7:01 am  

Coool! Thanks! The only questionable thing I can see is that, while I agree that I'd like Resbin to be from Zahindia, her languages in Dungeon only list Olman. Is the general consensus that she should be from Zahindia now? I'm good with that if that is the case.

I've also noted that the Red Hand adventure seems to be set in Sterich, including one location - Vraath Keep? Is there any fluff on the Azure Prince or Vraath Keep that doesn't breach secrecy? I think the adventure might still be in play...

The only other mystery is the names of the counties (and any of the baronies as known) but I'm pretty sure that this level of detail hasn't been dealt with yet.

Thanks for the help!
    Master Greytalker

Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm  

The short version on Resbin is that there is no consensus. Flan, Zahindian, and Olman are the three candidates. You can construct strong arguments for and against the reasonableness of all three choices.

There is at least one thread in General discussion about the topic and another in Heretic's Nest, IIRC.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 25, 2008 5:00 am  

From the material I found in LGJs, one Barony is named: Astrakan.

And the county of Garinac is also listed.

I would assume that the Barony is within Garinac because it is described as being in the west (presumably west of Istivin) and that Garinac is the western most since it took the longest to be freed (nasty giant neighbors can do that).

Again, if you take Paizo as canon, Resbin is indeed from Zahind, according to Eric Mona.

I have created my own sourcebook from every resource that I could find, including thots found here on Canonfire. I list the seven known counties, too. If there is an interest, I'll try to post it. I'll need to go back and attempt to give proper citations and credits, which I did not do for my own use.

Cheers
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 25, 2008 11:04 pm  

Wow yes please! That would be so cool!

And if anybody ever bothered to come up with some names for the various mountain dwarf clans... Al I know is that Redmond Dumple was a prince of one of them... which presumably means that at least one of them is a kingdom, and that there are more than 5 of them, since 5 have failed to respond since the Wars.
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 am  

Actually, if Resbin Dren comes from Zahind, it might be a good way to introduce dragonborn characters into Greyhawk. Maybe she has a retinue of dragonborn bodyguards from her homeland. It might add to the exotic sense of mystery about her.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 am  

With the majority of Oearth being unknown it always seemed easy to me to integrate new races "from out West"
    GreySage

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:13 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    How (if at all) were Queen of Spiders and Liberation of Geoff ever reconciled in canon? I thought GDQ 1–7 had been dated c. 580 CY at one point, in order to allow for the T1–4 / A1–4 / GDQ 1–7 megacampaign.

Both Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff and Dungeon #117-119 make it clear that there were two separate giant invasions. The first, in 576 CY, was masterminded by Eclavdra and ultimately thwarted by Frush O'Suggill and his band of heroes. The second, in 584 CY, was inspired by a group of cloud giants known as the Sakhut. While Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff includes the G1-3 modules in it, it leads them into three new G modules, G4-6, cumulating with the defeat of the Sakhut in their cloud citadel instead of an expedition into the depths of the Oerth.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Both Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff and Dungeon #117-119 make it clear that there were two separate giant invasions. The first, in 576 CY, was masterminded by Eclavdra and ultimately thwarted by Frush O'Suggill and his band of heroes. The second, in 584 CY, was inspired by a group of cloud giants known as the Sakhut. While Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff includes the G1-3 modules in it, it leads them into three new G modules, G4-6, cumulating with the defeat of the Sakhut in their cloud citadel instead of an expedition into the depths of the Oerth.

I've never run Liberation of Geoff. Does it work without G1–3 (if one presumes those modules were completed several years prior)? Can one go straight into "G4–6"? I always assumed it was like Return to the Tomb of Horrors, where completing the original module was part of the overall story arc.
    GreySage

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 pm  

DMPrata wrote:

I've never run Liberation of Geoff. Does it work without G1–3 (if one presumes those modules were completed several years prior)? Can one go straight into "G4–6"?

Yes, I don't see a problem with that; the old adventures are tied to the new ones very loosely. You're assumed to complete them as part of the story arc, but you don't have to. You could also rename the NPCs in the G1-3 modules to make it clear that this is a different hill giant steading etc., if you don't think your players are likely to cry foul/have their enjoyment diminished by this. Or you could design new giant lairs yourself.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:42 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    I've never run Liberation of Geoff. Does it work without G1–3 (if one presumes those modules were completed several years prior)? Can one go straight into "G4–6"? I always assumed it was like Return to the Tomb of Horrors, where completing the original module was part of the overall story arc.

Yes, certainly. However, note that Against the Giants is more of a gazetteer of the lost lands of Geoff than it is an adventure.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:05 am  

Issues have been resolved and extraneous off-topic posts have been removed so that this thread may remain active and on topic. Please continue posting.

Thanks.

---The Canonfire! Staff

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:43 pm  

Istus be praised!

I'm planning on converting GDQ to 4e but it isn't going to be easy with only a few of the giant races statted out. What's more if hill giants are level 13 brutes, what levels might be appropriate for a 4e version of the mods? I'm guessing 15-20 but it's a tough call without knowing how powerful the giants are going to be. Plus you would have to restrict the final battle to an avatar of Lolth as the real deal would be way too powerful for level 20 pcs.
    GreySage

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:44 am  

Maybe every portal in the Demonweb is maintained by an avatar of Lolth, and if you kill the avatar the portal is destroyed until Lolth can regenerate her avatar, maybe a century later.

Or you could just decide Lolth is a lot weaker than the rules imply.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 pm  

With information gleaned from this thread at Paizo ( https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2gyu1?Istivin-Trilogy-The-Harrowing-Other-Questions ) in which Greg Vaugn and Erik Mona expand on information given for the Shadows Over Istivin trilogy in Dungeon 117-119, the timeline for Sterich looks like this:

-394 CY: Suloise Migrants from the Great Western Gate, Marbus and Hulot battle the Wild Hunt on the central promontory of the Davish Plain

But people say, "Local legend holds that the gods Fortubo and Bleredd battled an archdevil and his pack of infernal hounds thousands of years ago on the spot where Istivin now stands. A blow by Fortubo’s mighty hammer Golbi is said to have rent the earth swallowing the archdevil and his pack and forcing a titanic piece of deeply buried granite to the surface. This huge chunk of stone formed the Promontory here in the midst of the featureless plain. To commemorate the spot where the devil pack was defeated, Bleredd fashioned a life-sized statue from the newly unearthed granite and placed it atop the hill’s peak. When humans settled the land millennia later they found the statue and eventually incorporated it into the main gate to bring the city luck."

-229 CY: Brellis Krelont appointed Warden of the Marchlands of the Great Western Gate by the Lion Throne. Istivin relocated. Foundations of Krelont Keep laid.

-202 CY: Qualtaine of Gorna is named as the first Earl of Sterich. He takes Krelont Keep in the growing city of Istivin as his seat.

"Eventually compacts were formed between the dwarven clans of the Crystalmists and the Crown of Keoland. To bring order to a frontier that had grown somewhat wild since the death of old Brellis Krelont, King Trevlyan I incorporated the Western Gate marchlands into the Earldom of Sterich as a client state to Keoland in 442 O.R.. Qualtaine (pronounced Kwal-tine), a cousin of the Grand Duke of Geoff and a close ally of the king, was granted the title of Earl of Sterich. His house became the hereditary lords of that land, and it has endured to this day...”

"The trading post at Krelont Keep grew into a sizable city around the base of the rocky peak known as the Promontory. When Sterich became an earldom, a massive wall was constructed to enclose the city and further protect it from incursion. Always embattled by the nonhuman hordes and giants of the western and southern mountains, Earl Qualtaine set about organizing his lawless frontier into a respectable vassal state of Keoland. In addition to the city’s new wall, the earl commissioned the construction of the border forts along the earldom’s western and southern borders. His frequent grants of nobility to anyone who could protect a part of the border ultimately led to the security that was needed to keep the mining operations and trade flowing through Sterich..."

-69 CY: The Council of Barons is formed as a legislative body in Istivin.

295 CY: Sterich concedes to admitting Keoish representatives to the Council of Barons as King Tavish I of Keoland completes the near total confederation of the Sheldomar Valley.

348 CY: The Wealsun Proclamation of King Tavish II of Keoland conscribes Sterish troops into service for annexation of the Pomarj from the prince of Ulek.

375 CY Fenwick Astakane of Skipperton makes critical notes about Sterich’s nobility and peasants in his book Travels.

461 CY: An exhausted King Tavish IV of Keoland agrees to the Earl’s demand to remove all Keoish representatives from the Council of Barons save only a ceremonial, non-voting “Liaison of the Crown”."

573 CY Querchard travels to Zahind and meets Resbin Dren.

574 CY Querchard and Resbin are married in Istivin.

575 CY Querchard becomes the new Earl after his father’s death.

576 CY Lolth and her giant cronies attack Sterich, but are thwarted by Frush O’Suggill and his adventuring company.

584 CY Giant King Galmoor and his servants swarmed down from the Jotens and Crystalmists and overrun Sterich. The Earl and his wife escape to Keoland and begin a reclamation plan.

585 CY Earl of Sterich is made Margrave by King of Keoland.

With Keoland’s support, Fitela is liberated.

586 CY Istivin is liberated on the 14th of Flocktime and is restored to power by Readying.

587 CY In Patchwall, the Heartlands are liberated. Count Darrishen Hartson of Keoland seeks glory in his efforts to liberate Sterich.

588 CY By Coldeven, all of Sterich is liberated and cleared of all invaders. Garinac is the last county to be freed. The conquered and occupied dwarven citadel of Num-Theraz, becomes a rallying point for many humanoid tribes.

590 CY A “shadow” falls over Istivin; its citizens are plagued by mysterious disappearances. One of these victims is the Margrave himself. His wife, Resbin Dren Emondav takes command, and rules as the Marchioness of Sterich.

591 CY Early Spring – The Marchioness declares the western barony of Astrakan to be her personal property hereafter. The Lord baron of Astrakan, Harker Elvenac is presumed dead, and his cousins, Errin Van Malligan and Vurrus Kline are feuding over his will’s distribution of land and personal wealth. His land is exceptionally fertile. This act by the Marchioness puts an end to the squabbling.

Mid-Spring – Lindus Mallaman, ranking priest of Heironeous is found dead. He was a leading figure in the city’s religious community and the strongest proponent of the Purifier Faction (citizens that believe that city has changed in some evil fashion during the occupation). He was found hanging by his feet from the basalt statue of Heironeous, his hands missing and his body charred by electricity. The statue seeped blood from its wrists for three days thereafter.

Late Spring- Dwarven Prince Durrok Korend of Num-Theraz (Cinderforge in common) sets up a base of operations in the western town of Ilaren. He and his small dwur army and the company of halberdiers of the Marchioness fair poorly in their initial attempt to reclaim the citadel. The halberdiers folded quickly under the endless waves of orcs and gnolls. Dwur of the neighboring states have yet to respond to the Prince’s request for aid.

General Commnader of the Army of the March Tybold Borm falls to an assassin’s knife. Distinguished war hero Griffage Terpin is appointed his successor by the Marchioness.

594 CY “Istivin: City of Shadows”, Dungeon #117 – 119.

The Marchioness has set a deadline for the end of the year for all land-holding nobles of Sterich to make claim of their land at court in Istivin.

Kwint
    CF Admin

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:44 pm  

Thanks for bringing that information here kwint! I have added it to the chronology that I created when I began running those adventures (a decade ago) for a campaign I called Shadows on the March.

A couple of points. (I'll respond again once I've reflected on the new information.)

I don't recall Resbin Dren having been noted as from Zahind. As I recall, she was listed in the trilogy as speaking Olman. If I recall correctly, then this suggests that the Zahind speak Olman, or that Resbin's particular family was Olman (likely from Xamaclan), resided in Zahind, and did not speak its indigenous language.

It's also interesting that the Paizo thread holds that Querchard met Resbin while traveling in Zahind—the year before his father's death. This suggests that: (1) the former earl was in good health at the time (i.e., his death was unexpected), (2a) Querchard was NOT the earl's heir apparent, (2b) travel to Zahind was commonplace enough that an heir apparent was allowed to do it, and/or (2c) Querchard sallied forth without his father's permission (and having eluded his handlers).

Whatever one chooses, it would make for quite a story.

I'll end with one more point.

This entry seems to be in error: "586 CY Istivin is liberated on the 14th of Flocktime and is restored to power by Readying."

Readying precedes Flocktime. Perhaps the original posters meant Ready'reat?

This entry also seems a bit at odds with the LGG, at 108, which (according to my chronology) holds that the army of liberation reached Istivin in Readying, 586 CY, no trace remained of King Galmoor or any destruction beyond that caused by the initial raids of 584 CY, and most of Istivin was in perfect repair.

If the army of liberation reached Istivin in Readying, CY 586, and it was mostly in perfect repair, then why did it take over two and a half months (i.e., until Flocktime 14) to liberate Istivin?

I look forward to reading what others have to say/think about this intriguing and new (to me) information!
    Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:40 pm  

Well if either of you Sterich fans want to prepare a half-page write-up on Sterich for the Touring of the Flaness forum, it would be appreciated.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=89&sid=1783f2af3d748ed56f426d735668d66a

Basically we are looking for a half-page per country that a DM new to GH can read and give enough info to select a country that best fits the kind of campaign they want to run.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:11 pm  

I like the project idea, but because of time constraints, I'm going to respond here with a partial draft in hopes that it prove useful—rather than "claim" Sterich.

If others feel so moved, please incorporate what you see fit.

+++

In the shadows of the Crystalmist Mountains, the Earldom (later March) of Sterich, is an embattled nation. In Common Year 576, it contends with regular raids from humanoids, giants, and even worse monsters that follow the Davish River to pillage the lowlands.

A few years later, an impenetrable sphere of darkest night encompasses Sterich's capital of Istivin. Although brave adventurers may rescue the city and its people, they cannot stop a devastating invasion of giants that drives the earl and his court from their country a few years later.

Only with years of campaigning may Sterich be reclaimed from the giants, and even then the land—and especially Istivin—remains cursed or haunted by demons and shadows. Finally, in CY 591, the Marquise has gone missing, and Sterich's surviving nobles (and charlatans posing as their heirs) squabble before the Marchioness, Resbin Dren Emondav, with their land claims and sundry petitions.

Resources

World of Greyhawk Guide (1983), at 36.
    GDQ 1-7 Queen of Spiders (1986), at 10-17.
    Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (2000), at 106-08.
    Dragon 117-119 (2004-05) (Istivin: City of Shadows trilogy).

Adventures in this country include:

List the most common adventures topics that are available in the country. . . .

Adventures in nearby areas include:

To the north, terror abounds in the tragedy-haunted Stark Mounds, and the Grand Duchy of Geoff offers myriad adventures of liberation against the giants. To the east, intrigue abounds in the Kingdom of Keoland. To the south, exploration of the newly rediscovered Passage of Slerotin beckons in the Yeomanry.

A short ending paragraph that provides advice on what kind of campaign is difficult to set in this country . . .
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm  

Hey Mtg,

I put it up on the forum. Let me know if what is written is good. Also if you want to be listed as Mtg as author name or something else.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9186&sid=5c70070e18e5e932949eb5f661995469

Richard

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:38 pm  

Thanks for completing it Richard. It looks good to me, and Mtg, mtg, MTG, or another variation on the theme is fine.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:56 am  

Paul, when you have completed your Sterich Gazetteer, let me know. I will post a Reply to MTG's half-page write up pointing to it. For each half-page write-up i want to provide links to fan based resources that new DMs can mine.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: