ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - SKR to join Paizo
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    SKR to join Paizo
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:31 am  
    SKR to join Paizo

Welp,

Monte Cooke is advising the Pathfinder RPG and now Sean K Reynolds is joining the Paizo team in July to replace Mike McArtor* as developer on the Pathfinder™ and Pathfinder Chronicles™ lines of Adventure. Interesting. In light of the GSL and the moves by Paizo, I think 3e is going to be around awhile.

SKR's Blog
    Paizo notice

* Mike is transitioning to a new industry, not just leaving Piazo.

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    CF Admin

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:17 am  
    Not Thrilled

Saracenus wrote:
    ... and now Sean K Reynolds is joining the Paizo team in July to replace Mike McArtor* as developer on the Pathfinder™ and Pathfinder Chronicles™ lines of Adventure.

I guess we shall see how this goes. Many people at Paizo's boards are pretty excited. As of now, I think that the Pathfinder adventure paths are the premier gaming products on the market. I subscribe to the adventure path and the chronicles, and as a consumer, I hope Mike McArtor can be "replaced."

I understand that Reynolds has written a large body of work in the industry. And I certainly respect that. Considering all of the Pathfinder writers Paizo has, I wonder if someone else may have been a better candidate. It is entirely possible that Reynolds has an amazing amount of Pathfinder/Galorian knowledge we don't know about, though. Further, it is possible that Paizo is looking for a fresh perspective for their setting.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:55 am  
    Re: Not Thrilled

Greyson wrote:
    It is entirely possible that Reynolds has an amazing amount of Pathfinder/Galorian knowledge I don't know about, though. Further, it is possible that Paizo is looking for a fresh perspective for their setting.

Don,

I am a bit confused. While this makes sense in the context of Greyhawk which has an extensive body of official and fan work over three decades, Pathfinder/Galorian is a relatively new/unexplored setting and I think it is a little early to start locking down what can be written about Galorian. Basically whatever Paizo staff and freelancers write is Galorian canon.

So, unless you believe that SKR can't write at all and should not be allowed near rpgs in general, um he has pretty much free reign as one of the developers.

Personally I am neutral on SKR, he has written some good stuff and he has written some less than good stuff.

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    CF Admin

Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 am  
    Galorian's Theme

Galorian definitely has its own unique mood, theme and feeling. Other "new" settings like Eberron and Midnight, for example, sprang into being with their unique feel, direction and mood. I don't think a setting requires decades (or even years) to find a mood or feeling - they are designed to feel a certain way from the start. Sure, over the years different development can alter the mood of a setting. But that does not mean a setting is born without a certain feeling built in.

I think the notion of unexplored is different from feeling and theme. I like the current feel of Galorian after two adventure paths, 21 adventure modules and over a dozen Chronicle products.

Does any of this make sense?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 am  
    Re: SKR to join Paizo

Saracenus wrote:
    * Mike is transitioning to a new industry, not just leaving Piazo.

Oh? Where is he off too? I suspect publishing... but perhaps a bigger market?

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:29 pm  

Reynolds has written most of the Golarion deity entries in Pathfinder, so he's not just being dropped into Pathfinder cold.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:34 pm  
    McArtor

Maldin wrote:
    Oh? Where is he off to? I suspect publishing... but perhaps a bigger market?

All Lisa Stevens said was that Mike "... moved on to some new adventures in his life ..." Maybe his own studio or design outfit. Or, maybe he's gonna sale real estate. Who knows? It is anyone's guess right now. He might eventually mention his plans on his blog. But, Lisa continued to say that, "The good news is that he plans to still do freelance writing for us, so you should see Mike appear in the pages of Paizo products for years to come!"
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: