JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Oerth Genealogy
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Oerth Genealogy
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:37 am  
    Oerth Genealogy

I just did a google search on "Oerth" and came accross a genealogy site by this name. Now, it is for real-world genealogy research, but it got me thinking. Has any one done any such work for Greyhawk? We know that several of the hero-gods and members of the Co8 are inter-related, and some information on various noble families of the GK, but is their anything more? Royal bloodlines? Major families? Curious....

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am  
    Re: Oerth Genealogy

gargoyle wrote:
    I just did a google search on "Oerth" and came accross a genealogy site by this name. Now, it is for real-world genealogy research, but it got me thinking. Has any one done any such work for Greyhawk? We know that several of the hero-gods and members of the Co8 are inter-related, and some information on various noble families of the GK, but is their anything more? Royal bloodlines? Major families? Curious....

The major families strikes me as fertile ground for what sounds like a very interesting idea. Any thoughts as to which families would make the list?

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am  

The Ivids are the first ones that come to mind. Greyhawk Wars and Ivid the Undying had some abundant info on this royal lineage.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm  

Someone ambitious might be able to do something with the Maures, who apparently have links to the Urnst states as well as a lineage running back to the Suel Imperium...
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:24 pm  

OK, off the top of my head I can recall Naelax, Rax and Maure as major families/clans/royal houses. Who else? According to the old '83 glossography, Zagyg is related to Heward (distantly), who is kin to Mordenkainen (page 35, paraphrased). Bigby is of House Naelax, I think (or was it an allied, unnamed House?). I'm sure there's a lot more info out there...

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:36 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    Bigby is of House Naelax, I think (or was it an allied, unnamed House?).

Bigby and Mordenkainen are both descendants of House Cranden, according to Ivid the Undying.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:50 pm  

Cranden... my bad. Thanks rasgon.

Last edited by gargoyle on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm  

From a search on the wiki: the Celestial Houses of Aerdi - Atirr, Cranden, Darmen, Garasteth, Naelax, Rax-Nyrond, and Tarquann. Several of these houses are now extinct, and several princes and Overkings are listed there, as well. I think we may have the start of something here... Smile

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:03 pm  

Kings and nobles were always claiming divine and semi-divine ancestry in the real world so why not do the same thing with noble houses and such in GH, except it's not just mythology? The Naelex could claim descent through some semi-divine son of Hextor; the Darmen descent from Zilchus due to their commercial acumen; Atirr from Procan; Garasteth from Boccob, although I don't see Boccob caring enough to sire any children.

You could do the same thing with Suel houses.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:03 am  

gargoyle wrote:
    From a search on the wiki: the Celestial Houses of Aerdi - Atirr, Cranden, Darmen, Garasteth, Naelax, Rax-Nyrond, and Tarquann. Several of these houses are now extinct

Hate to disagree but all the houses are alive and well except Rax and according to ItU even that house has some distant relations.

Atirr - North Province
    Cranden - West - Rel Deven
    Darman - United Kingdom of Ahlissa
    Garasteth - Solnor Compact - Drax of Rel Astra is scion
    Naelax - North, South Province and Central Lands
    Rax - overthrown when Naelax took crown but some minor central princes still can claim rax blood.
    Tarquann - North Province - Delgath IIRC is Tarquann

Rax-Nyrond - Nyrond is ruled by this house when it declared itself independent it dropped the rax but Aerdi Imperial blood still in the line. A reason their was tension between Rauxes and Rel Mord; no Naelax overking sat to comfortable knowing the Nyrond royal line had a better blood claim to the Malachite throne.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:29 pm  

Hey Crag, just stating what was on the GHWiki! I don't have my LGG (I let a brother DM borrow it), but I looked over one today and noticed most of the houses are alive and well, and there is even mention of a House Haelax (Halx? Halex?) in the entry for Ahlissa. Still, that's the point of this thread: what's out there? What major families (Aerdi and others) are there and who's related to whom?

Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:23 pm  

House Atirr is mostly extinct, according to this article (which explains why the city of Atirr is now ruled by House Torquann).
    Novice

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:11 am  

Keoland's royalty comes from the houses of Neheli and Rhola, both originating in the Suel Imperium. Other contributors to this site have gone into greater detail concerning these lines.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:48 am  

dtcrowe wrote:
    Keoland's royalty comes from the houses of Neheli and Rhola, both originating in the Suel Imperium. Other contributors to this site have gone into greater detail concerning these lines.

Link(s)? A little help there, please...

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:56 am  

To that end, from one of the Salinmoor articles (A Guide to the Viscounty of Salinmoor - Who is Who), I found the following families: Secunforth, Lorchester, Andrigal, Rynnows, Stoutlys, Makaster, Nulbar, Lassiter, Timertikos, Aerakin, Rasivath, Pantiker, Bevenin, Fastrelli and Ambermead. The full rundown on interrelations and alliances of these families can be foun through the articled noted above.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:00 am  

Good catch Rasgon Smile

Went over ItU; Atirr is no longer relevent; minor princes...

Atirr fell from power no explanation...your article...lost wealth and prestige seeking to build colonies.

House Haxx was elevated with the conquest of Naerie
    Novice

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:01 am  

gargoyle wrote:
    dtcrowe wrote:

Link(s)? A little help there, please...

The "Grand Sheldomar Timeline" (parts I, II & III) posted by Samwise goes into detail about the rulers of Keoland since its founding. There are other great articles on Canonfire by the same author regarding Keoish history, but the Timeline is probably your best source for royal geneology.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: