JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hardby
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Hardby
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 pm  
    Hardby

Can anyone recommend a good site for information about Hardby? I'm thinking of setting a new campaign there and I'd like some pre-war & wartime info.

Thank you!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:42 pm  

"Hardby: City of the Scorned" in Dungeon # 109. "Slavers" also has a decent bit of info. Also the "Living Greyhawk Mysterious Places: Safeton" has a few tidbits on the Longland family of Hardby - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20071106a.
    CF Admin

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:53 pm  
    Dungeon 109

smillan_31 wrote:
    "Hardby: City of the Scorned" in Dungeon # 109. "Slavers" also has a decent bit of info.

Scott's right. That "Hardby: City of the Scorned" is my favorite source on Hardby and Paul Looby's best work, I think. And, it has a great map of Hardby. The same map is in COR5-09 Gateway to Bright Sands, which also offers some Hardby information.

I'd only add that there is some historical information in Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins, too.

Don (Greyson)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 am  

Wow the Hardby article is simply awesome! Thank you!

Do y'all know if any other cities were done up similiarly in Dungeon?
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 am  
    Sasserine and Greyhawk

xammer99 wrote:

Yeah, "Hardby: City of the Scorned" is a Dungeon highlight. I'm glad you discovered it.

Dungeon 139 also tackled Sasserine in the same manner for the Savage Tide adventure path. Sasserine also enjoys all of the attention in The Savage Tide Player's Guide.

Dungeon 127 and Dungeon 128 combine to illuminate the Midnight Muddle, a neighborhood in Greyhawk's Foreign Quarter, northwest of the lower marketplace.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:41 am  

There is a reference to Hardby in OJ #10. It’s pretty good, and has some great details. I also remember another article posted elsewhere, that is much more female dominant. Perhaps someone else can direct you to that, as I can’t seem to find it.

I find the OJ article more to my liking for Hardby, and I use that model in my campaigns. I think Hardby is a great place- you have such a diverse group of enemies to bash and dungeons to plunder, and Greyhawk is not too far away if you need a more metropolitan flair. You can plunder an ancient Flan burial mound one day, bash an ogre or 3 on another, and still go to Greyhawk for a long weekend (maybe hit the theater for some culture).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:53 am  

Ahh excellent, thanks much for that as well!

Is there by chance an index of the cities covered in the Oerth journals (or even the articles)? Each of these is a rather hefty download to dig through.

Thanks!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:00 am  

Wow the two sources give wildly differing populations (5K v. 21K) which is more accurate?
    GreySage

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 am  
    Re: Sasserine and Greyhawk

Greyson wrote:
    xammer99 wrote:

Yeah, "Hardby: City of the Scorned" is a Dungeon highlight. I'm glad you discovered it.

Dungeon 139 also tackled Sasserine in the same manner for the Savage Tide adventure path. Sasserine also enjoys all of the attention in The Savage Tide Player's Guide.

Dungeon 127 and Dungeon 128 combine to illuminate the Midnight Muddle, a neighborhood in Greyhawk's Foreign Quarter, northwest of the lower marketplace.

Don't forget Diamond Lake in Dungeon #124, Alhaster in Dungeon #131, the githyanki capital Tu'narath in Dungeon #100, Spinecastle in Dungeon #148, Exag in #145, and Scuttlecove in Dungeon #146.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:10 am  

...and Istivin in Dungeon #117.

Yes, indexes are very useful in trying to find all information about a specific location. That is why there is Jason Zavoda's Encyclopedia Greyhawkia![/quote]
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: