Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - oh boy, where to start: non-tsr greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    oh boy, where to start: non-tsr greyhawk?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:22 pm  
    oh boy, where to start: non-tsr greyhawk?

im not new to the game, but the game have changed a lot since i read about it.

is there a place where i can read about this? is sir robilar from hackmaster the same robilar from d&d?
    what about lejendary products?

how many non-tsr GH products are there?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:04 pm  
    Re: oh boy, where to start: non-tsr greyhawk?

rossik wrote:
    . . . is there a place where i can read about this? is sir robilar from hackmaster the same robilar from d&d?
    what about lejendary products?

how many non-tsr GH products are there?

To my knowledge, there is no one place that collects all the non-TSR, non-Wotc GH references. I guess by definition, these products are not "Greyhawk" in the sense that they do not bear the GH logo and that are not published by the intellectual property holder. They are then "defacto GH," "ersatz GH," "GH once-removed" etc. Maybe the best way to look at these products is by publisher:

Troll Lord Games - Publishes the Castle Zagyg line of products written by Gary Gygax and Canonfire's own Ghul for the Castles & Crusades (d20) system. Castle Zagyg is, of course, Castle Greyhawk in a thin disguise. Trollord Games has also published The Lost City of Gaxmoor by Ernie and Luke Gygax and which EGG stated was to be set in GH in Bissel.

Goodman Games - Publishes the Blackmoor line of products written by Dave Arneson and a variety of freelancers. Arneson, of course, was an early influence on GH and Blackmoor was incorporated into GH from Arneson's campaign.

Kenzer and Company - Publishes the Hackmaster line of quasi-serious modules, many of which have GH connections. Sir Robilar's City of Brass is by Jeff Knight and Rob Kuntz and, by varying degrees, has a GH pedigree. There are also -

Porpher's Enchanted Garden
    The Hidden Shrine
    Lost Caverns
    Descent into the NetherDeep
    Temple of Existential Evil
    Annihilate the Giants
    Smackdown the Slavers
    Tomb of Unspeakable Horrors etc.

While some of these are obviously jokey takeoffs, there is some surprisingly good information adaptable to GH. I've used, for example, The Hidden Shrine to supplement the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. I also like Temple of Existential Evil more than Temple of Elemental Evil. The Hackmaster version makes more sense!!!

GDW - Published (past tense) the Epic of Aerth for the Dangerous Journeys system by EGG. Aerth is, of course, one of Oerth's counterpart worlds.

Green Ronin Publishing - Publishes The Book of Fiends part of which was written by Greyhawk fan Erik Mona. In part, this product discusses the Abyss and includes some GH stalwarts in thin disguise - Zhar'Ub-Luur, Vaz'zht, Arachnadia etc.

Mongoose Publishing - Publishes the Slayer's Guide to Dragons, authored by Gary Gygax. It includes an adventure, The Revenge of Ghorki, which takes place in the thinly disguised Yatils and references thinly disguised Iggwilv and her daughter Drelzna (sp).

Necromancer Games - Publishes the City of Brass mega-boxed set. While mostly setting neutral, there is reference to Tzunk, the Plane of Molten Skies and other tips of the hat to GH.

Jolly Roger Games - Publishes Horsemen of the Apocalypse a book on the history of roleplaying in the words of the creators of various settings, one of which is EGG. EGG, of course, discusses how GH came to be.

This by no means exhausts either the publishers or the products that are ersatz GH. There are a ton but this is off the top of my head.

The Legendary Adventure series from Heckaforge, written by EGG, are set on "Legendary Earth." To date, I have not discovered any overt or thinly disguised covert references to GH in these products but that doesn't mean that they are not there. I admit to not having thoroughly scoured them for tidbits yet.

Last and in the estimation of many least there is the highly controversial "Dreadmire" from the equally controversial "Spellbinder Games." Very long and controversial story very, very short (as related to me by others and from web postings) a GH fan decided to publish for profit a sourcebook on the Dreadwood and Hool Marshes in southern Keoland despite the fact that to do so would be a violation of GH intellectual property rights. To get around this legal difficulty, the fan attempted to disguise the GH references - hence "Dreadmire" etc. Necromancer Games agreed to publish Dreadmire but another GH fan, who was an online rival of the fan authoring Dreadmire, contacted Necromancer and pointed out the thinly disguised GH references as well as some direct GH references that violated copyright. As a result, Necromancer publically denounced the author, the book and severed all ties. The fan/author then went ahead and published Dreadmire privately, like a vanity press. The print run, however, was predictably small. Only a few hardcopies of Dreadmire are positively known to exist (as far as I know). I own one. Dreadmire is, then, not a GH product per se but certainly a GH curiousity. The point is - the extent of non-TSR, non-Wotc GH "products" is extensive and quite colorful at times.

Good hunting!

Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:40 pm  

great reply, im truly thankful!
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm  

To GVD's list, I would add:

- EGG's Gord novels (NIPI after TSR's 1st 2)
    - Mongoose also published EGG's SG to Undead
    - Troll Lord Games also published RJK's Dark Chateau and Dark Druids
    - Kenzer also published RJK's Garden of the Plant Master
    - Necromancer Games and Different Worlds both published RJK's Maze of Zayene d20 editions
    - RJK's Pied Piper Publishing

But, your best best it likely to scroll through Falconer's listing @
    http://ulmo.mux.net/greyhawk/

There are also a number of more obscure publications, like modules in gaming zines, GH tourneys at cons, etc.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: