Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A question about LGH source material....
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A question about LGH source material....
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:00 pm  
    A question about LGH source material....

Were can I get the Living Greyhawk source material? There is tons of information available to RPGA members but as I have only recently got back into D&D I am not a member of the RPGA. Besides, my campeigns center around Greyhawk itself and Verbonboc and as I live in Texas the LGH has me slotted for the Bandit Kingdoms.
    CF Admin

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:26 pm  
    Wizards of the Coast

manus-nigrum wrote:
    Were can I get the Living Greyhawk source material? There is tons of information available to RPGA members but as I have only recently got back into D&D I am not a member of the RPGA. Besides, my campeigns center around Greyhawk itself and Verbonboc and as I live in Texas the LGH has me slotted for the Bandit Kingdoms.

What do you mean by "source material"? The primary 'source' of information for Living Greyhawk is the campaign's Web site at Wizards of the Coast. There is an archive of all of the campaign's official news, information and posts:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/arch/dndlg

Browse that information and see if that is what you're looking for. The Verbobonc region is HERE, and the Bandit Kingdoms Web site seems to have quit on us. I'll look for it.

Don (Greyson)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am  

Thanks.

Ok next question. Is
    The Living Greyhawk Gazzateer
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/117420000
    and the D&D Gazateer
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/867270000

The same thing?
    CF Admin

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:51 pm  
    LGG vs. D&DG

manus-nigrum wrote:
    Ok next question. Is The Living Greyhawk Gazzateer and the D&D Gazateer The same thing?

No, they are not. The D&D Gazetteer is a short abstract designed to give DMs and players brief information for creating campaigns in the Flanaess. The D&D Gazetteer is only 32 pages long. All of the text in the D&D Gazetteer comes from the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (LGG).

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is a more comprehensive 192-page sourcebook providing detailed information about the Flanaess. It also is a primer for getting started in the RPGA's now defunct Living Greyhawk shared-world campaign.

I'd get both, because they're inexpensive and they both come with a map. Of course, the map in the LGG is bigger.

No sign of the Bandit Kingdom's Living Greyhawk home page. I'd direct you to the regional triad, but we all got released in June.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm  

This thread is not a review of or discussion of published material, so it does not go in the Published Material Reviews & Discussion forum. General question are best posted in the World of Greyhawk Discussion forum. This is a very common question though, and one that should be added to the revamped Greyhawk FAQ.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:22 pm  
    Re: A question about LGH source material....

manus-nigrum wrote:
    Were can I get the Living Greyhawk source material? . . . my campeigns center around Greyhawk itself and Verbonboc and as I live in Texas the LGH has me slotted for the Bandit Kingdoms.

Personal opinion but IMO the Verbobonc LG site was/is easily amoung the top LG sites. In fact, I think it was probably the best with a bunch of info and some really awesome maps! I downloaded a bunch of stuff from them. 5 Stars! YMMV

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:29 am  

How do you access it? It requires a password which I do not have access too. Since LG is no more (I believe) Could we somehow preserve that information from all the LG regions here somehow? Perhaps in the Greyhawk wiki?
    CF Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:27 pm  
    Register

manus-nigrum wrote:
    How do you access it? It requires a password which I do not have access too.

Did you try REGISTERING at the Web site, yet?

I think compiling the vast amount of regional information is too daunting of a task for anyone to try to provide as Web content. After eight years, our region has piled up an enormous amount of information and content. It would take many, many months to organize it. I don't think any region's former triads are even gonna try. There's just too much information.

Don (Greyson)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 pm  
    Re: Register

Greyson wrote:
    manus-nigrum wrote:
    How do you access it? It requires a password which I do not have access too.

Did you try REGISTERING at the Web site, yet?

Don (Greyson)

You know, you'd think that would be obvious but no, I did not.

I just assumed that because I didn't live in the region I wouldn't be able to sign up for it. In retrospect I feel dumb now.

Sad
    CF Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:22 pm  
    Re: Register

manus-nigrum wrote:
    [You know, you'd think that would be obvious but no, I did not.

Nah, don't feel dumb. I thought maybe registration was down. I know it's slow, but shouldn't down. If all else fails you can use my login.

Anyway, I've thought about the Living Greyhawk compilation we've touched on. I've made a very cursory inventory of Nyrond's accrued information. It's a massive amount. But, it accumulated gradually. The first couple of years are pretty thin. I might be able to go year-by-year for Nyrond and present something in increments. I'll think about it, talk to other former triads, and decide.

Let us know what else your campaign needs in the meantime, manus-nigrum.

Don (Greyson)
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:59 am  

For those of us who (for one reason or another) weren't able to participate in Living Greyhawk, a compilation of some sort would be nice to see. A kind of timeline and overview of events that occurred in each region and in the world overall during the past 8 years. A daunting task, yes, but I'm sure someone out there has enough time and drive. Smile

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 pm  

I've seen a few mentions of something called PostFest but wasn't really sure what all it entailed. Could this be something appropriate for that?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:51 pm  

Postfest is a sort of a Festival of Posting. All are encouraged to offer up their own submissions for whatever theme the Postfest has. Postfest is about posting something new rather than re-posting something old. We haven't done a Postfest in quite some time, but that is about to change. We want to get it back to being a regular thing, and so it shall be. The next one will start in, oh, *about* 6 weeks. Why *about* 6 weeks? Well, I'll leave that for all of you to figure out. Wink
    Master Greytalker

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:53 am  

gargoyle wrote:
    For those of us who (for one reason or another) weren't able to participate in Living Greyhawk, a compilation of some sort would be nice to see. A kind of timeline and overview of events that occurred in each region and in the world overall during the past 8 years. A daunting task, yes, but I'm sure someone out there has enough time and drive. Smile

I absolutely agree that I want to see (at the very least) a timeline covering the key LG events for each region.

I'm scrabbling around trying to note down as much LG info as I can for my homemade gazeteer (such as npcs, locations mentioned in the cities, locations of mods etc) before it all disappears. There is a vast amount of information, although some regions have better online resources than others.

Once I've got the information noted and cross referenced, I'm going to go back through it a re-edit it as best I can to avoid plagarising too much. However, my bibliography went to pot about 6 years ago, so I don't think it will ever be possible to publish it. I'll see how I get on in another 5-6 years after 5e is published.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:08 am  

I hope someone can help me with a couple of questions that I have about the LG scenarios. Does anyone know if WOTC or the RPGA plans to release all of the scenarios some time in the future? I know that you can dl scenarios for years 6, 7 and 8 on wizards and on some of the regional websites. Are the scenarios for years 1 - 5 going to eventually be released again?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:33 pm  

Alisanos wrote:
    I hope someone can help me with a couple of questions that I have about the LG scenarios. Does anyone know if WOTC or the RPGA plans to release all of the scenarios some time in the future? I know that you can dl scenarios for years 6, 7 and 8 on wizards and on some of the regional websites. Are the scenarios for years 1 - 5 going to eventually be released again?

Probably not. In the past the only way to get RPGA materials was to belong to the RPGA. Even then materials were released only at specified times so having a subscription to Polyhedron was pretty necessary to get those releases.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 pm  

The answer is a definite NO. The various bits of LG material are for the most part the property of their respective authors. So, it would require a convoluted legal agreement among all of them(likely requiring payment of some kind) to do such a thing. WotC has already expressed a lack of interest in such a project, and at this point it is pretty much up to the respective authors of the LG materail to contribute their works to some sort of Living Greyhawk archive. We'd be more than happy to host such an archive here on Canonfire. All we'd have to do is add a "Living Greyhawk" article file to the Topics and put everything into it. We could even have sub-files under it for the various regions. Very easy to do.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:03 am  

Having a LG archive is a great idea. Does anyone know how many of the Triad members or authors from LG frequent Canonfire? Do you think we sould be proactive and reach out to those authors and ask if they would like to "donate" their work to this archive?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 pm  

That is already being done. Anybody else who can help facilitate it though is more than welcome to lend a hand. Quite a few GH and LG authors visit Canonfire. Contact your local triads and ask them about it. If you need to find out how to do that, just use the RPGA LG site(or failing that Google) to find the contact info. So far as I know, not all of the triads/websites are active anymore, so there will be some roadblocks.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:38 am  

triads? I am pretty sure you're not talking about southeast asian mobsters so what do you mean by this?
    CF Admin

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am  
    LG Triads

manus-nigrum wrote:
    triads? I am pretty sure you're not talking about southeast asian mobsters so what do you mean by this?

LOL, no. Living Greyhawk used the term triad because each region's formal administrators were a team of three people.

Nyrond, my region, for example, had Tom Kee as the plot coordinator and lead editor; Rene Ayala as the metagame organizer and editor; and me as the point of contact/ and editor. Each region was pretty similar, and they all had three administrators - but we just called them triads, because it's a shorter word.

Don (Greyson)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:47 am  

I contacted Jay Babcock for the the Bissel site. He stated that he would not give his permission for the Bissel information to preserved.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:09 pm  

Oh well, we'll compile whatever material we can get for anyone that it would be of interest to.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:34 am  

Alisanos wrote:
    I contacted Jay Babcock for the the Bissel site. He stated that he would not give his permission for the Bissel information to preserved.

What a selfish prat (although he may have particular reasons, I don't have to be charitable). All that hard work lost; what a shame. Luckily Bissel is a tinpot country and not globally significant. I'll earmark it for invasion by Ket... again.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:41 am  

...and during the Ketite invasion, the Bisselite general who refuses to support his embattled colleagues at a critical juncture and thereby compromises the security of Bissel should be named Jabock!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:42 am  

And his standard is a rooster, a very small rooster.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:07 pm  

These comments are not exactly encouraging to others contributing their own Living Greyhawk material if they have visited this thread. You should be encouraging rather than antagonistic. I would think that this would sort of be a "Duh!" thing. It would be conducive to be more positive. In the future, the sphere of annihilation may reach out and touch a few posts if necessary.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:12 am  

Lol - I wonder if he thought we meant 'preserving' all the Bissel mods and stuff rather than a series of historical entries giving a rough synopsis of events and/or a list of LG npcs and locations with brief paragraphs of description?

No home campaign could hope to replicate what LG achieved but the plot seeds and locations could serve as inspiration for future generations.

Oh well, maybe some of the other triads will be more amenable. If we can get permission to archive the existing histories of LG Geoff and Keoland, it might show the other triads the kind of thing we (er ok - I mean 'I') would be very pleased to see.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:50 am  
    Sorry for the late reply

Sorry for the late reply. Eddie Powell emailed me a notification about this discussion, but it came on the day that my wife and I delivered our second child and it got lost in the backlog of other email I received.

I can't really comment on what other LG regions are doing (each Triad has their own opinion on that), but Verbobonc plans to issue an updated regional gazetteer before the end of the year that would update the history based on what's occurred over the past 8+ years. Additionally, it's my plan to include info on all of the nobility, the Viscount, the organizations and groups in the region, and so forth. Essentially, this would be a sourcebook for the Verbobonc region. Hopefully, this would address the needs and wants of those who would like to see the regional history preserved. I plan to host it on the Verbobonc website once its released.

Thanks!

Vernon L. Vincent
    Verbobonc Triad (retired)
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:18 am  
    Re: Sorry for the late reply

vvincent wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply. Eddie Powell emailed me a notification about this discussion, but it came on the day that my wife and I delivered our second child and it got lost in the backlog of other email I received.

I can't really comment on what other LG regions are doing (each Triad has their own opinion on that), but Verbobonc plans to issue an updated regional gazetteer before the end of the year that would update the history based on what's occurred over the past 8+ years. Additionally, it's my plan to include info on all of the nobility, the Viscount, the organizations and groups in the region, and so forth. Essentially, this would be a sourcebook for the Verbobonc region. Hopefully, this would address the needs and wants of those who would like to see the regional history preserved. I plan to host it on the Verbobonc website once its released.

Thanks!

Vernon L. Vincent
    Verbobonc Triad (retired)

That's what I'm talking'bout! And congratulations! Unfortunately now that 4e is built around group dynamics, you will need 2 more children. Better get cracking or 5e will be out before you're ready! Shocked
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:05 am  

Too funny there Paul. Laughing

Hopefully more people involved in LG will deign to allow us to mirror their material here in the archive at Canonfire. It would simply be nice to know that it wasn't going to suddenly disappear as did so much of the content on the LG regional web sites. The Greyhawk Wiki could be infused with the info too. A little bit of redundancy would be a good thing in my humble opinion. Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: