JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Like the new look
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Like the new look
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:14 am  
    Like the new look

Kudos to the Canonfire team, the new look is the awesomesauce.

It just had to be said. Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 am  

The new logo reminds me of a board game like Heroquest. Maybe a boxed set...

Still, good stuff.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:14 am  

Yeah, I love it Happy

I actually reminds me of the covers of the 83 box set books.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:58 am  

Looks Good.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:11 am  

manus-nigrum wrote:

I actually reminds me of the covers of the 83 box set books.

I was actually on last night while it was being updated, and I commented in GreyTalk that it reminded me of the same thing. Artistically, it evokes a sense of texture and colour ... it was inteded that way, I presume. Even the font is similar and the background texture of the field resembles the pattern that was on the old cover.

It harkens back to our history, and as soon as I saw it, I pulled the old folio off the shelf. It is a wonderful tribute without being heavy-handed. A very subtle reference, and a pleasure for guys like me that have played for a long time to see that comforting theme ... I wish WoTC would take a cue from something like this to know how they should treat the (rumoured) new rendition of GH.

And the Tagline! "Editions change: Greyhawk endures"! Simply Marvelous! <chuckles> Is this a 4thEdition update for the WoG fantasy setting?
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>

Last edited by Icarus on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 am  

As Montgomery Burns would say to Smithers, "Excellent!"

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 am  

Yeah, it endures until WotC comes calling with a cease-and-desist order.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:45 am  

Very old school logo; I like it!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:22 am  

it is nice.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:40 am  

I like the look as well. It does remind me of the 1st edition box set. I was wondering though if the grey borders are going to be filled in with something?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:31 pm  

Good Job everyone Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:14 pm  

I agree. Kudos to all. I LOVE the new look.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:32 pm  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    I was wondering though if the grey borders are going to be filled in with something?

Does that mean we are going to finally get to fill in the "Greyspace"?

<chuckles> Laughing It had to be said. Wink
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:09 pm  

It is good to see so many positive comments on the banner change(of which I had no hand in). I can tell you that it is not necessarily the final product but these comments will certainly help move things along to a final stage hopefully. Expect some more minor changes plus some reorganization of articles. Also while its on my mind, if anyone has suggestions or ideas graphically, feel free to share them and I'll pass them along to the right people or point them out to this thread.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 am  

I might as well weigh in too.

It had been decided a few days ago that the black memorial banner in honor of EGG had been up for long enough(a link to the memorial page though). Some people commented that they had forgotten what the original CANONFIRE! banner even looked like. Some of the newest folks have actually never even seen it. I have almost forgotten what it looks like myself.

I am really the driving force behind this new look, and indeed it is intended to evoke the 83' boxed set which I have always loved the look of, and which visually defines Greyhawk for me in a major way(as do the WG series of adventures). We have been talking about revamping the site for nigh on close to a year now, but only recently has any progress really been made on it. The name of this new theme will indeed very likely be "83' Boxed Set". There will be other more bare bones themes though- light with dark lettering(for those who like reading newspapers I guess Laughing), dark with light lettering(for worshippers of Tharizdun, EMO fans, and for Duicarthan who is certainly more of the former than the latter). Wink

The new graphics are indeed a work in progress. The red bit comes from some brown alligator skin, suitably re-colored, tweaked, and re-sized to look similar to the red dragon hide of the 83' boxed set. The gems come from a picture of a brilliant cut aquamarine I found on-line and "altered" as well. The gold is just a shape finished out with effects in Photoshop(the gold will likely get some tweaking as I am not completely happy with it yet). At this point almost all of the graphics are done for the home page, but the fully realized "83' Boxes Set" theme will likely not be unveiled until the graphics for the whole site are ready. However, in the meantime the banner will likely stay in place.

For now, a general reorganization of some areas of the site are underway. I consider "function" more important than "form", and others apparently agree with me, so that is what is mostly being worked on for now. Most notably you will see this in the Topics section where the articles that have posted on the front page may be found, as well as those that were specially submitted for previous Postfests(the next of which will start October 1st!). For now we have added some new categories and are in the process of consolidating articles into their new classifications. Defunct classifications will be removed once the articles from them have been moved over to their new places. This will NOT affect any submitted articles, so there’s no need to worry about that. Other aspects of the site will change slightly. All of this is geared at presenting a more stream-lined site where things are more intuitive and material is easier to find.

And that of course will allow for us to add some *new areas* to the site without cluttering it up. So, the site is under construction, but hopefully nothing will be disrupted too much(if at all) as we go about it. That is about all I have to say at this time. Be sure to let us know what you think of things.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:31 am  

Please let me add my voice to the chorus of "well done!" The new look is really impressive and eye catching. Thanks to all the admins, past and present, for the wonderful work they have done in making Canonfire the premier GH site on the web! Well done!

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 pm  

Thanks for the update, Brian. If you guys want me to check out the new classification taxonomy some time, I'd be happy to do so! :D

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:24 am  

Please notify us of any bugs in the feedback forum at this thread:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=29770&sid=b9da695afb9991672ae7823bc0ce28ef#29770
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:03 am  

i cant remember the last time i logged on, but i have to say that this new look is beatifull, congratulations!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:12 am  

Um....WOW! i think you folks did a fandamntastic job capturing the feel of the '83 boxed set. Seriously, it's a warm and inviting comsmetic change. Very nicely done folks. I wish the powers that be would take note of site like this. Awesome!

Dwarf from Nyrond
    Sage of Canonfire

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 pm  

Thanks guys, we appreciate it. Cebrion has done an excellent job in recreating the feel of the 1983 Guide and I'm working to get all the coding in. There is still a lot more to come and not all the changes are cosmetic. We hope you will be impressed.

In collaboration with the new Editors we have on board, we are going to make the site more usable and a better resource for GH fans new and old.

As always, please send us your ideas and suggestions, they are heard!

-Gary
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:16 pm  

Black on black, everything must be black!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:41 am  

The black will eventually be going away. It just helps to see how things are in the layout. Can anybody(who I haven't told already) guess what the background will eventually look like?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:20 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    The black will eventually be going away. It just helps to see how things are in the layout. Can anybody(who I haven't told already) guess what the background will eventually look like?

Ok, guess #1: Map of Greyhawk (seems to obvious so doubtful, but it is my first guess anyway!)

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:10 am  

That's one.

CF Admin

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 am  

The borders from the Sargent-era supplements? :D

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:04 pm  

Great job Ceb and everyone else involved! Looks great!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 pm  

grodog wrote:
    The borders from the Sargent-era supplements? :D

That's two.

Novice

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 am  
    liking it

I heartily approve
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:45 pm  

My next guess is Cebrion fan mail!

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 am  

Pandering will get you nowhere. Laughing

I just sent Gary a couple dozen more images for replacement. He just needs to wave his magic wand and make them appear. Some of them are just for admin stuff though, so not everyone will see them. Wink

I also hope to have a very obviously new graphic ready for very late on Thursday. You'll just have to tune in to see what it will be.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:18 am  

AARRRGH!!! It's all jacked up!. Must re-do images to be slightly smaller! D'oh!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:56 am  

Concerning the new Post/No New Post icons at the left of the forums, are they astral color pools?

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:16 am  

Telemachus wrote:
    Concerning the new Post/No New Post icons at the left of the forums, are they astral color pools?

i thought it was my sreen full of bugs!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:46 pm  

No. All your monitors are not belong to us. The images are ONE PIXEL too big in length and width which has caused the weirdness. I've already resent the altered images to Gary so hopefully they will be up by the end of the day.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: