ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pilgrims and Pilgrimages of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Pilgrims and Pilgrimages of the Flanaess
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:51 pm  
    Pilgrims and Pilgrimages of the Flanaess

Hi all.

I usually don't make a habit of posting whenever I have a new article on my Greyhawk Grognard blog, but I am exceedingly proud of this particular one and think it could be helpful to folks running a campaign in the Flanaess.

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2008/09/pilgrims-and-pilgrimages-of-flanaess.html

It's geared towards AD&D and the 576 CY era, but I'm sure much of it can be used in other versions.

Enjoy.

Joe

(Edit: I changed the link to go directly to the article, since it is no longer at the top of the page.)

Last edited by GreyhawkGrognard on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:07 am  

This looks great. Really useful.

For me, religious structures were some of the least developed elements of GH and putting some logic behind pilgrims encountered on the road is a great way to address this.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:50 am  

That's a really nice article Thulcondar. I now have an idea for an adventure reminiscent of something I once read.

At some point in the future, we'd like to have a page of links to many different Greyhawk-related things, including blogs like yours. First we need to do some organization though. When that happens, be sure to remind us of your blog. Cool
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 am  

Very nice article. Smile Should have been a Canonfire submission! Happy

I didn't know this blog existed, thank you for sharing! Happy

If would be very useful if CF had a "directory" of CF websites and blogs - VERY useful. Happy

I have had it in my mind to do a blog but have not gotten around to it. One reason being highlighted by your excellent blog post - when would one contribute to CF and when would one post something to their blog?

Is it an either/or proposition? Can one do both? Perhaps one might post a "main" article to either CF or one's blog and offer a "web enhancement" to that article on the other?

I think supporting CF is VERY important for GH fandom. But having a GH oriented blog strikes me as very cool, as well.

Very good article! And interesting area of discussion ie GH blogs that you have raised in passing! Excellent work! Happy

PS -I think letting people know when you have updated your blog is entirely appropriate on CF as it is about GH. Happy

PSS - Looks like GH blogging is becoming the fashion! See - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=29739#29739

And once more! - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3330

Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:58 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Very nice article. Smile

Thanks much-- I was inspired by reading Jack Vance's "The Eyes of the Overworld" which dealt with a band of pilgrims.

GVDammerung wrote:
    Should have been a Canonfire submission! Happy

I didn't know this blog existed, thank you for sharing! Happy

If would be very useful if CF had a "directory" of CF websites and blogs - VERY useful. Happy

I have had it in my mind to do a blog but have not gotten around to it. One reason being highlighted by your excellent blog post - when would one contribute to CF and when would one post something to their blog?

Is it an either/or proposition? Can one do both? Perhaps one might post a "main" article to either CF or one's blog and offer a "web enhancement" to that article on the other?

I think supporting CF is VERY important for GH fandom. But having a GH oriented blog strikes me as very cool, as well.

Very good article! And interesting area of discussion ie GH blogs that you have raised in passing! Excellent work! Happy

That is an interesting question. Once something is published in one place does that disqualify it from publication elsewhere? I, for one, would certainly not mind if that article, or my series on how to successfully DM the D1-3 series of modules, were on my blog, on Canonfire!, Dragonsfoot, Fight On!, and the Oerth Journal.

But at what point does it become overkill? There's such an overlap of readers that one might tire of seeing the same thing repeatedly. I know I would. My own blog has a comparatively tiny readership, so that amount of overlap might be acceptable. But should the rule of thumb be one blog and one other venue? I don't have a definitive answer.

Joe
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:34 pm  

At some point in time we plan on having more traditional style blogs here at CANONFIRE! too. For now there is just the Member Journal, but that is not very accessable. It's fine to post links to off-site blogs though.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:57 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    At some point in time we plan on having more traditional style blogs here at CANONFIRE! too. For now there is just the Member Journal, but that is not very accessable. It's fine to post links to off-site blogs though.

Not, I'm guessing, every time there's a WoG-related post. ;-)

This one was kinda special, though; both in length and utility. But every time I make some observation about the Flanaess, I don't want to clutter up your boards with a new thread. Of course, if you do, I can oblige.

Perhaps some sort of feed with the latest blog post titles? Or maybe only blog posts with a particular tag? I'm not an expert on RSS, but it should be able to work, kind of like what they have over at the RPG Bloggers Network.

Joe
    CF Admin

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:37 pm  

Cebrion wrote:

I'll have to hop into chat to get an update on this, Brian. Thanks for the info :D

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:15 am  

Pilgrims are a good encounter to shake things up; They are fanatics who may or may not have similar outlooks on the world from the PCs. They can be excellent sources of information as they have travelled great distances.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 pm  

Very nice article on a neglected aspect of life; especially like how you mentioned the mundane value for even evil pilgrims.

Not every bad person has to be hatching evil all the time - even evil deities have their belivers out there.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:06 pm  

Great article! This is definitely my kind of material.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm  

"Verbobonc itself is a stronghold of the faith of St. Cuthbert, which is unsurprising given its strong ties to Veluna and Furyondy to the north. Several shrines to the Saint exist within the Viscounty, marking several minor events during Cuthbert's mortal life including the Church of the Holy Cudgel, marking the spot where Cuthbert first cut and hefted the wooden bludgeon for which he would become so famed."

"The Great Cathedral of Mitrik attracts the faithful from all over the Flanaess, along with the Church of the Apotheosis, which marks the spot where Cuthbert was raised to Godhood in a blast of light and crashing of tree-limbs. "

I greatly enjoyed the article on pilgrims, and will be using it in my campaign. Thanks! But the bits above confused me.

While not canon (AFAIK), I thought the general consensus was that St. Cuthbert attained dietyhood on another world (perhaps our world, which is why his mace is here) and came to Oerth already ascended, like Pelor's-warrior-madain-whose-name-I-can't-spell.

Is it a personal quirk of your campaign that St. Cuthbert was from Oerth, or does this have backing in the lore somewhere?

IIRC someone (Samwise?) had an article about the mortal exploits of Cuthbert on Oerth, so the view has a basis in fanon, but a published source?

Kirt
    GreySage

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:22 pm  

Kirt wrote:

IIRC someone (Samwise?) had an article about the mortal exploits of Cuthbert on Oerth, so the view has a basis in fanon, but a published source?

Kirt

The Core Beliefs article on St. Cuthbert in Dragon Magazine suggests that Rao brought St. Cuthbert from another world as a mortal, and he became a deity under his own power (due to his own achievements and follower base) while on Oerth.

However, I don't think there's any consensus about Cuthbert's history, nor should there be.

And besides, Thulcondar's article (which was very imaginative and good) seems pretty much idiosyncratic and blithely unconcerned with published sources beyond the original Gygaxian ones, rendering issues of "canon" moot. I note that he implies that Hextor was one of Zagig's prisoners, for example, something not suggested in any published source but certainly true in Gygax's original campaign.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:24 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    The Core Beliefs article on St. Cuthbert in Dragon Magazine suggests that Rao brought St. Cuthbert from another world as a mortal, and he became a deity under his own power (due to his own achievements and follower base) while on Oerth.

And besides, Thulcondar's article (which was very imaginative and good) seems pretty much idiosyncratic and blithely unconcerned with published sources beyond the original Gygaxian ones, rendering issues of "canon" moot. I note that he implies that Hextor was one of Zagig's prisoners, for example, something not suggested in any published source but certainly true in Gygax's original campaign.

I certainly wasn't criticising Thulcondar's article. I thought it was very creative and great. I was just wondering about its specifying twice that Cuthbert's apotheosis occurred on Oerth. Since I haven't read the Core Beliefs articles, I didn't know that someone other than Samwise (Oerth Journal 20) was contending that Cuthbert was mortal on Oerth, and was wondering about the inspiration or basis of the idea.

Some threads on this topic from 2007 and 2005:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2406&highlight=cuthbert

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1189

Kirt
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:13 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    Since I haven't read the Core Beliefs articles, I didn't know that someone other than Samwise (Oerth Journal 20) was contending that Cuthbert was mortal on Oerth, and was wondering about the inspiration or basis of the idea.

I, too, have not read those articles. It just honestly never occurred to me that St. Cuthbert's apotheosis would have happened anywhere other than Oerth.

Thinking about it, I probably should've included St. Trowbane as well, but that would have just been a bit too outre.

Joe
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:09 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    ...pretty much idiosyncratic and blithely unconcerned with published sources beyond the original Gygaxian ones, rendering issues of "canon" moot.

Rasgon, would you mind if I used this as a descriptive quote for the blog? You capture my intent perfectly.

Joe
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: