Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Battle for the Moathouse
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:18 am  
    The Battle for the Moathouse

"oh no! t1-4 things again!"

"someone cast silence on him!"

ok, ok....but this is a very good link!

i was looking for more info, and found at dragonfoot this AMAZING n]battle report of a castle and crusade game, played by gary and ernie gygax, rob kuntz and lots of important guys to the game!

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18764&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

in the end, you can see wonderfull pictures of the battle, following a link. a really amazing game, with a beatifull moathouse made by troll basemant (orsomething like that)

the funny thing, is tharizdun flag on the "nondestroyed" version of the moathouse.

(oh, and theres some canonfire folks posting back tehre...2 years ago!)

anyway, worth looking at!

Last edited by rossik on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 am  

yes that is a cool thread.

the flag on the moathouse is the "Eye of Flame", it is not realy the symbol of Tharizdun (which is a spiral), it is more closely linked to the Elder Elemental God (yes I know WotC made them one and the same in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil... but that was STUPID).
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:07 pm  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    yes that is a cool thread.

the flag on the moathouse is the "Eye of Flame", it is not realy the symbol of Tharizdun (which is a spiral), it is more closely linked to the Elder Elemental God (yes I know WotC made them one and the same in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil... but that was STUPID).

shame on me, i still mix things up!

so, what is this "eye of flame"?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:00 pm  

WotC would never do anything stupid to ruin the continuity of Greyhawk! When Al Gore created Dungeons and Dragons in the 1970's, he distinctly wrote it his rewrite of the bible that one day his work would be completed...I can't go on. You get the idea.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:39 am  

rossik wrote:
    So, what is this "eye of flame"?

The "eye of flame" is the upside down triangle with a "Y" within it that is on the flags that fly above the Moathouse Towers in the pictures of the battle. The ends of the "Y" bissect the angels of the triangle; not the sides, and symbol is yellow on a black background. If I recall correctly, the symbol appears in yellow on the black cloaks/surcoats of lareth's forces too.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:28 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    rossik wrote:
    So, what is this "eye of flame"?

The "eye of flame" is the upside down triangle with a "Y" within it that is on the flags that fly above the Moathouse Towers in the pictures of the battle. The ends of the "Y" bissect the angels of the triangle; not the sides, and symbol is yellow on a black background. If I recall correctly, the symbol appears in yellow on the black cloaks/surcoats of lareth's forces too.

oh, i know what is it on the picture, i dont know what is it good for :)

at t1 cover, they have a flaming eye, not the Y symbol
    http://gaygamer.net/images/hommlet2.jpg

funny thing is that everytime i search for this cover at google, the first onme is the review from gaygamer
    GreySage

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:28 am  

There was a glowing eye (and an inverted triangle with a Y symbol) in G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King. This was the Elder Elemental Eye, and it was Gygax's intent that the same being be associated with the Temple of Elemental Evil in some way. In the published T1-4, the ultimate villain was Zuggtmoy instead, but Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil made the Elder Elemental God the temple's secret master. That book also declared that the Elder Elemental Eye and Tharizdun were the same being; this seems to be an unpopular theory around here, though I've gotten used to it.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:44 am  

rasgon wrote:
    There was a glowing eye (and an inverted triangle with a Y symbol) in G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King. This was the Elder Elemental Eye, and it was Gygax's intent that the same being be associated with the Temple of Elemental Evil in some way. In the published T1-4, the ultimate villain was Zuggtmoy instead, but Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil made the Elder Elemental God the temple's secret master. That book also declared that the Elder Elemental Eye and Tharizdun were the same being; this seems to be an unpopular theory around here, though I've gotten used to it.

oh boy!

so....both the eye on flames and the Y are EEG symbol, but EEG is not tharizdum, but instead, is the Fungi Demoness.

do i get it now?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:42 am  

Kind of. The triangle and "Y" symbol was decribed by Gygax as the "eye of flame" symbol, but the artist took that literally and made it an actual eye with flames for the upper lid in the Village of Hommlet art.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:52 am  

no, no, it literally stands for the Eye of Flame beholder variant who is lying in wait for you.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:54 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    no, no, it literally stands for the Eye of Flame beholder variant who is lying in wait for you.

kidding again, friend? Confused
    GreySage

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:59 pm  

It really depends on the needs of your campaign, ultimately. Who do you want the Elder Elemental God to be?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:22 am  

rasgon wrote:
    It really depends on the needs of your campaign, ultimately. Who do you want the Elder Elemental God to be?

at this point of my t1-4, i think it would make more sense to be fungi queen :)
    CF Admin

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:46 am  

All of this symbology confusion sounds like it's ripe for making a cartoon...

*casts summon mortellan* :D :D

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:30 pm  

grodog wrote:
    All of this symbology confusion sounds like it's ripe for making a cartoon...

*casts summon mortellan* :D :D

*casts Commune with mortellan*
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm  

so, they use chainmail rules, right?

have anyone experimented those?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: