Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sheldomar At War(*NOT* for Gargoyles eyes!!!)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sheldomar At War(*NOT* for Gargoyles eyes!!!)
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:07 pm  
    Sheldomar At War(*NOT* for Gargoyles eyes!!!)

First off, Gargoyle, do not read this, as you are a player in my game! (yeah ya sneaky little git!- Cebrion)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to have an event happen shortly in my GH game which is big and dirty and likely not at all like what could possibly happen in canon. So here it is. I would like to have both reactions and suggestions.

In 606 CY a young man named Staleek Yurling from the Good Hills in Sterich and company went on a journey which led them through many places ultimately landing them in a colony in the Amedio Jungle sent from the Principality of Ulek.

During these travels, he came across Merthuvial (from the module Barrow of the Forgotten King) which is a legacy weapon granted to him from an ancient Flan king who stated that Staleek was of pure kingly lineage.

Staleek became the leader of these colonists, and eventually led them back to the mainland in Ulek. He unravelled treachery within the Ulek court and became the adopted son of the dwarven Ulek king.

He then stated that he wished to return to Sterich and lay claim to its throne thusly ending Keoish rule.

He did so, marching to Niole Dra and declaring his intent. King Skotti, unable to muster an immediate army to oppose him, let him go. The regent in charge of Sterich, unable to rely on her own army to oppose Staleek, made a plea to others for aid, and was given it by Ket.

The Knights of the Watch in Bissel abhorred this, and marched south behind the Ketites intent on opposing the occupation.

Staleek and his army paired with the KotW and took Sterich, then moved north into Bissel and purged it of Ketites. Staleek then gave Bissel to the KotW.

Two years pass, and I run the events in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. The hook is that an elven soldier from the Vesve, has come to King Staleek of Sterich to get aid against drow attacks in the Vesve. Staleek grants him aid and this elf, named Aethwar, goes to Sigil and beyond on a quest to eventually face Lolth.

My party is on the verge of this feat, they are to fight lolth this sunday. those familiar with the adventure, and of the events of the demon council, should know the specifics, but they do not matter that much for what I am asking.

In the party is a wizard named Valis LaFlaaga, who has the hand and eye of vecna. He has been with the party since nearly the beginning, and has slowly been consumed by the evil god. He intends to usurp lolth's power once she has been defeated on the demonweb.

Using the 333 gems of Tharizdun as a spell component (long story), he intends to cast an epic level spell accessible to him as a deity, to resurrect the Suel Imperium.

I know this is poorly worded and sounds awfully like something a bunch of fourteen year olds would do, but trust me, there is much more to it I just don't want to jam it all out here out of pure laziness.

So here is this:

1. A thrall of Vecna (who is a pure Suel) wishes to cast the spell Resurrect Nation to bring back the Suel Imperium.

2. A party of heroes, including Vecna's thrall and King Staleek Yurling, is about to defeat Lolth. Valis (Vecna's thrall) intends to usurp her divine spark to become deified.

3. Once Staleek returns, he plans to purge all of non-Flan humans out of Sterich, and eventually purge all of the Sheldomar Valley as well. This will begin with a military assault against Keoland between Sterich and the Ulek States.

4. A group of good guys called the Lightbringers (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) has the Sword of Kas in their treasury in the Good Hills.

5. In my last campaign, Keoland responded to Scarlet Brotherhood aggression in Salinmoor by annexing most of the Hool Marshes all the way down to Monmurg, so Keoland is larger in my campaign.

I realize that much of what I had happen really is not what many would have done, but still I would like to know what you feel you would do with what happens next.

There is a lot I have no mentioned, but just ask me specifics.

Please, what would you guys do with what I have planned?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 pm  

chaoticprime: I made your post a bit more obvious about a certain somebody who is not supposed to be reading it. ;)

You have a lot of political conundrums there to deal with.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:53 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    chaoticprime: I made your post a bit more obvious about a certain somebody who is not supposed to be reading it. ;)

You have a lot of political conundrums there to deal with.

Thank you, sir.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:47 am  

My initial reactions/questions (in no particular order):

What about folks with Flan heritage? How does he determine "pure" Flan?

If Vecna gains the 'spark' - what does that actually result in?

How aware are the political forces in Niole Dra of what is taking place? IE if the Keoish King knows that the PC King is off on an adventure...well, if ever the situation for attack adds and old fashioned politicking was more ripe, I haven't seen it.

Are there internal factions within Bissel and/or Sterich (factions that were heretofore 'unheard of') that might take advantage of an adventuring King?

What if one of the Demon council manipulates Vecna's attempt? Maybe Vecna succeeds to all eyes present, but in actuality is shunted into a mortal body; thus having his own deific spark removed? What if THAT spark were then thrust upon one of the demonic princely witnesses?

Maybe Vecna's essence gets shattered in the attempt and his personality is divided amongst PCs that eventually retire; only to give way to separate factions within the campaign world that are each controlled by someone being slowly subverted by a fraction of Vecna's Id or otherwise dominate personality trait. (NASTY JAUNT: Can you imagine being possessed by the spirit of Vecna's Lust? Ick!)

May the sword of Kas draws Kas's attention and begins acting as an opposing force.

I dunno...just some random thoughts.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:13 am  

Katerek wrote:
    My initial reactions/questions (in no particular order):

What about folks with Flan heritage? How does he determine "pure" Flan?

If Vecna gains the 'spark' - what does that actually result in?

How aware are the political forces in Niole Dra of what is taking place? IE if the Keoish King knows that the PC King is off on an adventure...well, if ever the situation for attack adds and old fashioned politicking was more ripe, I haven't seen it.

Are there internal factions within Bissel and/or Sterich (factions that were heretofore 'unheard of') that might take advantage of an adventuring King?

What if one of the Demon council manipulates Vecna's attempt? Maybe Vecna succeeds to all eyes present, but in actuality is shunted into a mortal body; thus having his own deific spark removed? What if THAT spark were then thrust upon one of the demonic princely witnesses?

Maybe Vecna's essence gets shattered in the attempt and his personality is divided amongst PCs that eventually retire; only to give way to separate factions within the campaign world that are each controlled by someone being slowly subverted by a fraction of Vecna's Id or otherwise dominate personality trait. (NASTY JAUNT: Can you imagine being possessed by the spirit of Vecna's Lust? Ick!)

May the sword of Kas draws Kas's attention and begins acting as an opposing force.

I dunno...just some random thoughts.

I honestly had not thought about this one too deeply other than profiling them by dominant racial traits (like the Nazis did).

It is documented in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits that Lolth possesses a "spark" which allows her to bind together the demons with the Dark Speech. I am essentially assuming that this spark is that of the divine and is what separates her from the other demon princes...it is her divinity.

Though there are certainly spies for Kimbertos Skotti in Istivin, the time frame of Staleek's absence is too narrow. He has literally been gone days at this point. Keoland is only narrowly aware of the peril threatening the Flanaess, they did not react well to prior claims of it.

There is a group within Istivin, though loyal to the country, are not loyal to Staleek, as they are not of Flan heritage. They are a minority faction which seeks to essentially "undo" many of the changes the overly dominant and quite-frankly, "bullyish" King Staleek has done.

Currently Vecna is only partially in control of Valis, who is a lich himself. Valis has the unique trait that he is of controlled Suloise breeding dating back to before the Twin Cataclysms. He is of a very loose bonding of soul and flesh, and due to adventures on the demi-plane of dread, this was made even more so. Basically, Vecna is half-asleep within Valis, inspiring him to ends which will fulfill both of their desires.

Valis realizes the razor's edge path he is walking, he simply does not fear it.

I also have prepared for the party to simply overtake Vecna as part of the conclusion. If they can defeat Grazz't, Demogorgon, and Lolth all in one day what is to keep them from laying down Vecna as well? Should this happen, your idea above seems a likely scenario.

I like this idea. This could be fun. The personality trait idea I have used already on the dearly departed Otiluke. He has nine clones running about, each of which represents one of the Jungian character traits.

Maybe Kas could dig itself deeper into Keoland or even the opposing faction within Sterich...hmm.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: