ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Essential Greyhawk for the Newbie
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Essential Greyhawk for the Newbie
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:47 am  
    Essential Greyhawk for the Newbie

Hello All,

We have discussed here many times what TSR/WOTC/LGG have and have not done for Greyhawk, our beloved setting.

However, as I look at our new and improved site, I note that there is little that we have done for the Newbie, to promote the setting and adding new players. Therefore, I have started this thread with two goals.

A) Create a listing/cataloge of both Printed Material (83' Box Set and LGG come to mind) and of works from here, which could be easily accessed by a new player, so as to allow a quick start a GH game.

B) Start a lobby for newbies, one that shows them the best of GH, Canon and Fanwork, which will allow them to become immersed in the setting.

As a start I want to suggest the following postings from here, and get everyone elses thoughts.

Thus :

Abysslin's Excellent and downloadable map of the Flaness: (though it needs expansion):
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=404

Merric B's Introduction (though it does leave out Keoland)
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=197

What else could we add?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:09 pm  

Anced_Math
    I really apreciate your efforts and goals.
    As the more i dig in the GH universe to find answers (or just knowledge) the more question arises, maybe a "reversal" approach can be more manageable (this is just an idea, i don't know if it is feasible): why not to explain the major "features" of GH, sorting the infos on the "kind" of adventure a DM want to run?

I mean:
    "The best places to start a "spy story", filled by political intigues, betrayals and so on should be that place 'cause this chapter of the history (link) and these NPCs (link) caused...."

"If you want to run a "paladine campaign" (free the slaves, kill the bad king, etc.) go there 'cause..."

This way, while i have to know a bit of the full world, i can start to study one place at time, growing my knowledge while my campaign advances.

Linking to the web sources and listing the printed book needed to accomplish "only" the goals of the campaign the newb want to build should make the learning curve less steeper.

I hope that this have some meaning :)

<edit>
    Also a list of the printed "best adventures" should be helpful, while "best" meaning that the adventure itself may be not so great, but have some merit in explaining somewhat or being particulary useful to "learn" GH.
    Site Theocrat

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:40 pm  
    Oerth Journal

Hi all -
    Anced, great idea.
    I have to say that I believe that Greyhawk is fading in terms of both new and old players, esp. with the fragmentation of the hobby in terms of 3.5/OGL and Living Greyhawk and Fourth Edition. Many people may be moving with the Pathfinder Edition and in so doing, testing the waters of Golarion.
    However, while the Oerth Journal is still around (www.OerthJournal.com) I believe that with either no or multiple game system focuses, Greyhawk can endure another upcoming dark time.
    Thus I'd suggest to anybody interested in Greyhawk to check out the OJ, as notables such as Roger Moore, Gary Holian and Erik Mona have all written early things, while Rick has been able to convince Sam Weiss, Creighton Broadhurst and others of the LGG Circle/fame to write most excellent pieces.
    I may someday eventually get around to writing that Churches of Pholtus article.
    I've not referenced the Greyhawk Wiki, but it may be a good place where a collection of ideas and topics are easily had.

In Pholtus's Path and Glory We Follow,
    Theocrat Issak the Paganhammer
    Theocracy of the Pale - Church of the One True Path of Pholtus

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:18 am  
    Re: Oerth Journal

TheocratIssak wrote:

I believe that with either no or multiple game system focuses, Greyhawk can endure another upcoming dark time.

May the canon fires burn bright at every fest!

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 am  
    Re: Oerth Journal

TheocratIssak wrote:
    I have to say that I believe that Greyhawk is fading in terms of both new and old players, . . . Many people may be moving . . . However, while the Oerth Journal is still around (www.OerthJournal.com) I believe that with either no or multiple game system focuses, Greyhawk can endure another upcoming dark time. . . I may someday eventually get around to writing that Churches of Pholtus article.

As long as we live, Greyhawk will live. Wink I "searched" for Canonfire!, or its equal, for a long time. I'm here to stay. Long live WoG! And long live EGG! Happy

Just my thoughts. Happy

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:05 am  

Did this go anywhere?
    GreySage

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:48 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Did this go anywhere?

Introduce everyone that you know to be interested in RPG's to Canonfire! Check out the Articles section, even contribute to it. The "Welcome to Greyhawk" forum is another section where "Newbies" can post questions and get answers and help.

My personal life has been in a bit of turmoil lately, just moved from Colorado down to Texas in search of work, so I haven't finished a couple of articles that I'm presently working on.

But just about everyone here contributes and thus, "we" subscribers to Canonfire! work to enlarge upon the World of Greyhawk and keep it alive.

Many here possess great knowledge and insight into our "world" and are always happy to help.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: