Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - gnarley forest: what about it?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    gnarley forest: what about it?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:02 pm  
    gnarley forest: what about it?

since i intend to run just T1 and leave T2-4 for another time, i thought of running adventures nearby hommlet.

our party is about to receive a new character, a druid, and he asked about gnarley forest.

reading this material:http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/lorenvale/Gnarley.htm , i came to think that the forest i so huuuuge!

is there good books about the gnarley forest?
    i couldnt find anything at wiki and the GH wiki.

any help and adventure suggestions are welcome!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm  

From the Ashes boxed set has the best description of the forest I've seen. It certainly only covers aspects of the northern forest but its a start. I've done some work on it for Homebrew as well. Can you be a little more specific on what sort of information your looking for?

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 am  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    From the Ashes boxed set has the best description of the forest I've seen. It certainly only covers aspects of the northern forest but its a start. I've done some work on it for Homebrew as well. Can you be a little more specific on what sort of information your looking for?

sure i can :)

i whant to know about the size of it (it looked smaller in the map than its described in that linked i posted), who "rules" it, and who lives there

a little too much? Embarassed
    GreySage

Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:01 am  

The LGG says this:

"Portions of the Gnarley Forest are claimed by Celene, Dyvers, Verbobonc and Greyhawk. The forest is home to thousands of woodsmen, sylvan elves and gnomes. An enclave of ogres, gnolls and orcs (Blackthorn) is hidden within and roving orcs from the Pomarj annually attempt to use the forest as cover for a massive flanking manuever against Narwell and Safeton. The Furyondian Green-jerkins are 40-odd Rangers who patrol the northern Gnarley from a small river port, Stalmaer, at the confluence of the Att and Velverdyva Rivers. Also, over two hundred Gnarley Rangers patrol the entire forest, protecting it from harm. The forest folk and their druidic allies are wary of intrusions by Greyhawk soldiers and settlers, fearing the whole forest may be cut down for farmland and timber."

You might already have that information, but its short, so I just sent it to you anyway. I'll see if I can't find some other, more definite, information for you. Wink

None of the maps currently in my possession shows the approximate location of Blackthorn, but I believe that the map from "Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins" does. Officially, "no one" is certain of its exact location. Happy

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:11 am  

It's about 435 km (east to west) by about 195 km (north to south), although the arm of it's western part that extends north is about 95 miles wide by about 195 miles long. The web-page you listed has most of the information available in From the Ashes although not as detailed. The advantage to having FtA is that there is a map showing the locations for all the places it talks about as well. It doesn't show all of the western portions of the forest though, since that work only focuses on the lands nearest to the Domain of Greyhawk. There might be some additional information and maps from the Verbobonc Living Greyhawk website, if that's still around.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:46 pm  

http://ghmaps.net

Square 59 has what you need... and more!
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:46 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    http://ghmaps.net

Square 59 has what you need... and more!

wow, thanks a lot!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:13 am  

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe that Blackthorn was detailed in the Slavers module, as well as some random encounters. . .

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 pm  

MichaelSandar wrote:
    I don't have it in front of me, but I believe that Blackthorn was detailed in the Slavers module, as well as some random encounters. . .

You are correct, sir.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:29 am  

And lets not forget that fearsome bandit, Freddie McKrueger from Puppets, a deranged leprechaun tormenting the denizens of the forest near Dyvers.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: